Buddha pickups

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
watercaster
Reactions:

Does anyone know if Tim is still winding these days? Cant seem to find a link for him.
Thanks and Happy New Year to all!
Cornfed
Reactions:

“”” I think “” he is on Facebook
ILuvTeles
Reactions:

Reverb store is on vacation, but there is a link to send a message
https://reverb.com/shop/buddha-pickups- ... ar-pickups
Mossman
Reactions:

He's still winding. I contacted him before Christmas about rewinding a Jazz Bass pickup for me.
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

I'm wanting a set of ALINC 2 PAF style pickups for my Wolf 335 copy. I have always used Seymour Duncan's but I don't want to spend that much money. In fact I just sold a set of Pearly Gates to @golem because I have already installed a set in my PRS SE Singlecut so I want something else in it.
Does he sell something like an ALINC 2 PAF or can anyone recommend one for me to try.

This is my Wolf
mheoPHd[1].jpg
Partscaster
Reactions:

I just put one of his humbucker sized p90's (7.6k) into "Cortez"'s bridge, coupled with it's Fralin Big Single in neck.
His pickup's got a great punchy clear tone with lots of growl ready to come up with volumes. I really like it. I think it had a brass baseplate.
DSCN2429.jpeg
DSCN2428.jpeg
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

I have acquired a couple of sets from Buddha Tim. One is a set of P90's I still have and the other was a set of AlnicoII/Zebra HB's that have since passed on along with an AL3100 to another AGF member.

I don't really know too much about the technical side of things when it comes to building pickups, but Tim was very good at taking an idea and making into a finished product. By that I mean I basically told him what kind of guitar I was putting them in, and what I thought I wanted them to sound like - and he did it, very well I might add. Price wise a custom set from him probably won't save you much $$ over a production set of Duncans like the ones you just sold - but compared to what you'd pay for a custom set from any other mainstream builder they are a steal.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

You can't beat Tim's pups. As Scott said, he always nailed what I was asking for in a pickup.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
uwmcscott
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:50 am I just put one of his humbucker sized p90's (7.6k) into "Cortez"'s bridge, coupled with it's Fralin Big Single in neck.
His pickup's got a great punchy clear tone with lots of growl ready to come up with volumes. I really like it. I think it had a brass baseplate.

DSCN2429.jpeg

DSCN2428.jpeg
Is that one of the recent SX offerings? I don't recall ever seing black one with a natural back like that...or did you refinish it yourself? It looks great!
Partscaster
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:21 pm
Partscaster wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:50 am I just put one of his humbucker sized p90's (7.6k) into "Cortez"'s bridge, coupled with it's Fralin Big Single in neck.

DSCN2429.jpeg

DSCN2428.jpeg
Is that one of the recent SX offerings? I don't recall ever seing black one with a natural back like that...or did you refinish it yourself? It looks great!
Thanks. That was a Callisto STD+ CSB which I sprayed the front to make a Neil Young's "Old Black" looking guitar. By the end grain at the butt it is clearly a one piece body with continuous grain arcing from one side to the other. I love the natural red sides and back complimenting the black front. I used mixed metals colors as much as I could. I like a mixed Gold and Silver hardware look, like an old pirate's bandolero or treasure chest. I am going with that on several guitars now. Another option for arranging.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Partscaster
Reactions:

DSCN2429.jpeg

DSCN2428.jpeg

Just put a wilkinson alnico mini humbucker in Bridge of my "Old Black" themed Callisto. A Buddha humbuck sized p90 had been in there, with GFS Mean 90 most recently in the Neck.
Buddha was way clearer than Mean 90 so the Buddha went to neck position where it is also way better than the Mean 90 was.
I dialed in the Mean90 as best I could but it still sounded to lack good note separation which the Buddha has lots of. The Wilk Alnico mini also has great separation and with a good focussed tone .
Looks the part, too, as far as Old Black copying goes.
I'm quite happy with the good tone from both pups now.

DSCN2865.JPG
watercaster
Reactions:

So here it is almost a year after I started the post and I have to report that Tim did wind me two p90 pairs that were hum-sized. One chrome and one black plastic. They both sound phenomenal! Thanks Tim!
Cyphre
Reactions:

I had him make some vintage Mustang pickups for me about a year and a half ago.
They are everything I wanted, and the price was a bargain. 🙏🏻
Ø
aullucci
Reactions:

I have a set of his PAF’s in my al2k and a set of his HB sized P90s in an Epi LP100. I love them both.
honyock
Reactions:

This just made me realize I had a set Tim wound for me that had no home, so I pulled the pickups out of my Gretsch G2622 for a challenge (nothing wrong with Broadtrons, but I think the guitar deserves something more special and unique.)

Neck pup is a HB size p90 with alnico IIs and the bridge is an open coil Alnico V with all screw poles.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
chimi42
Reactions:

Funny, i just had Tim make me a set of pickups for a project i'm putting together. My goal was to do a pickup similar to the bareknuckle warpig for the bridge and a single coil not far from the SD screamin' demon for the neck.

He was super easy to deal with and i can't wait to hear the pickups!
rrobbone
Reactions:

chimi42 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:00 am do a pickup similar to the bareknuckle warpig
If he nails this, I'd very much like to know about it.
"What is this place? Where am I?"
Narsh
Reactions:
Gearlist: Main Guitars: Kiesel Aries 7, Kiesel SCB6H,
Main Bass: Yamaha TRBX305
Main Amps: Kemper Profiler, AxeFX II XL+, Neural DSP Parallaxe
Recording: MAC,Reaper, Focusrite 8i8 Gen3, JBL LSR308
And much, much, more...

rrobbone wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:04 am
chimi42 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:00 am do a pickup similar to the bareknuckle warpig
Ask for "Narshbuckers".... Trust me, he nailed it.
Narsh
Reactions:
And much, much, more...

Narsh wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:30 pm

Just found a tune I did earlier this year with my PRS Tremonti which is loaded with the Narshbucker set. These were the original prototypes. They are freaking sick sounding.

golem
Reactions:

I thought Buddha would've chimed in by now. It's been almost a year. Mozz and Andrewsrea both wind and are still on here last I checked. In fact, I just got two pedals each by both builders in the last six months as they're equally good with building pedals.
Narsh
Reactions:
And much, much, more...

Tim pops in and out. He commented on a recent song I did with my FF338 that also has buddha pickups.
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

I'm still here. I'm not really on reverb anymore though.
It's become too expensive to be a small business these days so I only make a few pickups here and there.

I appreciate the kind words btw!
chimi42
Reactions:

Narsh wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:34 pm
Narsh wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:30 pm

Just found a tune I did earlier this year with my PRS Tremonti which is loaded with the Narshbucker set. These were the original prototypes. They are freaking sick sounding.

Killer tune/playing! The guitar sounds super meaty!
Narsh
Reactions:
And much, much, more...

Tim!!! Miss you buddy. Totally understand about the small business thing. Tough times we live in.

I vouch for your work anywhere.

I would put Tim's pickups against any Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, Kiesel, Bareknuckle it EMG's Ive owned. For any style by the way, not just metal.
uwmcscott
Reactions:

Buddha Pickups wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:47 pm I'm still here. I'm not really on reverb anymore though.
It's become too expensive to be a small business these days so I only make a few pickups here and there.

I appreciate the kind words btw!
Great to hear from you tim, also a satisfied customer and good to hear that you still get a chance to build a few here and there. Can you still do work via the forum here if need be?