Whats your' latest gear acquisition?

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Stig wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:16 pm Hi, folks. Been a while. A LOT has happened in the past... god, I don't know how long. My mom died back in October, and my wife passed away on July 20. She had been bedbound for over 4 years. On one of our usual trips to the ER, as we waited for test results, we both nodded off. When the doctor came in to basically say "You're fine, go home(again)" we couldn't wake her up. She was gone.
But that's not why we're here. A week before, I traded my 1971 Tele - with not a lot of original parts - and a box of original parts even for a brand new Gibson ES-335. I love it. I'm getting her name engraved on a TRC for it. She was always a good sport about the guitars, and bought me a couple of the really good ones, and encouraged me to get others I wanted but felt bad about. OK, I'm gonna post pics before I get all weepy again.
So much to unpack. Welcome back and so sorry for the loss of your wife and mother.

HNGD!
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Sorry for your losses, Stig.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

So sorry to hear about your loss Stig.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I picked up an EV ZLX-8P G2 speaker. What a beast in such a small package. I have a powered 8" by Alto but wanted something with more power for the band. This thing sounds amazing and has two inputs so I can run my mic and acoustic. I also ordered a Telefunken M80 mic. I am not sure if I will like it better that a Beta 58 but we will see.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

@tonebender Man, I wish that I had bluetooth capability. It would save a bunch of spaghetti on stage.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
tonebender
Reactions:

@tlarson58 You can get a device that will plug into any channel on your board or spare input on any powered speaker, that allows you to connect to your system. They are cheap on Amazon. Alto makes one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... io-adapter
golem
Reactions:

Grabbed those two in trade. I'm not quite sure how many guitars I have but I could do with getting rid of a few.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

golem wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:08 am
I'm not quite sure how many guitars I have but I could do with getting rid of a few.
You keep forgetting the guitar player's equation: Enough Guitars = Current Owned + 1.

:)
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
tonebender
Reactions:

This EV ZLX 8" powered speaker is the BOMB! It has 4 channels, two XLR/TRS. a 1/4" and Bluetooth. It has a 7-band EQ, low, mid and high tone control, independent volume control for each channel as well as master volume. It has built in effects, including reverb, chorus, compression, ducking and delay. The cool part is I downloaded the app and I can control everything from my cell phone. This is my first foray into using my cell phone like that. I am letting go of my analog man card, but I am adding in some digital goodness lately with this speaker and my Bose 8-channel mixer. I use a Bose L1 Pro 8 for my acoustic act and it is awesome but some rooms are small enough that this EV will work just fine. Never too old to learn new things.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 7:20 pm This EV ZLX 8" powered speaker is the BOMB! It has 4 channels, two XLR/TRS. a 1/4" and Bluetooth. It has a 7-band EQ, low, mid and high tone control, independent volume control for each channel as well as master volume. It has built in effects, including reverb, chorus, compression, ducking and delay. The cool part is I downloaded the app and I can control everything from my cell phone. This is my first foray into using my cell phone like that. I am letting go of my analog man card, but I am adding in some digital goodness lately with this speaker and my Bose 8-channel mixer. I use a Bose L1 Pro 8 for my acoustic act and it is awesome but some rooms are small enough that this EV will work just fine. Never too old to learn new things.
What ! ? A digital app review from tonebender ? I think there has been a rip in time and space...the times they are -a-changin'
tlarson58
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:51 am @tlarson58 You can get a device that will plug into any channel on your board or spare input on any powered speaker, that allows you to connect to your system. They are cheap on Amazon. Alto makes one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... io-adapter
Unfortunately, my PA is powered and my speakers are passive. Someday I'll get a Bose tower and all will be right in the world for the three gigs we play each year.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
tonebender
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 7:34 pm
tonebender wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 7:20 pm This EV ZLX 8" powered speaker is the BOMB! It has 4 channels, two XLR/TRS. a 1/4" and Bluetooth. It has a 7-band EQ, low, mid and high tone control, independent volume control for each channel as well as master volume. It has built in effects, including reverb, chorus, compression, ducking and delay. The cool part is I downloaded the app and I can control everything from my cell phone. This is my first foray into using my cell phone like that. I am letting go of my analog man card, but I am adding in some digital goodness lately with this speaker and my Bose 8-channel mixer. I use a Bose L1 Pro 8 for my acoustic act and it is awesome but some rooms are small enough that this EV will work just fine. Never too old to learn new things.
What ! ? A digital app review from tonebender ? I think there has been a rip in time and space...the times they are -a-changin'
LOL, I did notice that I misspoke in my text. I meant to say "I am NOT giving up my analog man card" but I am adding in some digital goodness. It will be kept to PA and acoustic amplifiers because as you know my electric guitar amps will always be tube powered!!! I even have a tube pre-amp for vocals and acoustic but honestly I rarely break it out just to keep it simple and to lighten the load.
Spike
Reactions:

I picked up this bag during my last trip to Sweetwater. The D'Addario Backline Gear Transport Pack. It holds everything we need for my acoustic band; cables, mics, guitar cords, tools, spare strings & batteries, mixer and power strip. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend but if it means one trip from the car to the venue, it's worth it to me. We run a Bose L1 1S system (two for larger rooms or outdoors).
Bag 1.jpg
Attachments
Bag 2.jpg
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift
Steve Prefontaine
Stig
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:34 pm
Stig wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:16 pm Hi, folks. Been a while. A LOT has happened in the past... god, I don't know how long. My mom died back in October, and my wife passed away on July 20. She had been bedbound for over 4 years. On one of our usual trips to the ER, as we waited for test results, we both nodded off. When the doctor came in to basically say "You're fine, go home(again)" we couldn't wake her up. She was gone.
But that's not why we're here. A week before, I traded my 1971 Tele - with not a lot of original parts - and a box of original parts even for a brand new Gibson ES-335. I love it. I'm getting her name engraved on a TRC for it. She was always a good sport about the guitars, and bought me a couple of the really good ones, and encouraged me to get others I wanted but felt bad about. OK, I'm gonna post pics before I get all weepy again.
So much to unpack. Welcome back and so sorry for the loss of your wife and mother.

HNGD!
Thank you!
A lot to unpack, and a lot to take to the dump. Cleaning out the house has been therapeutic and removed a lot of triggers.
Stig
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:48 pm Sorry for your losses, Stig.
Thank you!
voodoorat
Reactions:

Wasn’t looking for it but came up in local market and my buddy was getting an EB Sterling Ray34 from the guy and it was proved to move. I have other Fender amps but not any like this. It feels like a gigantic champ to me but with a lot of clean (if mid-scooped) headroom. Really liking it so far but have only really played it sans-pedals so far. It’s a Bassman 59 RI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
voodoorat
Reactions:

voodoorat wrote:Wasn’t looking for it but came up in local market and my buddy was getting an EB Sterling Ray34 from the guy and it was proved to move. I have other Fender amps but not any like this. It feels like a gigantic champ to me but with a lot of clean (if mid-scooped) headroom. Really liking it so far but have only really played it sans-pedals so far. It’s a Bassman 59 RI.

Are these useful at all for bass, even at moderate volume? It feels very much like a guitar amp (as you’d expect from an open back cab), and bass is really wooly through those 10” Jensens. But I am really curious what bass in band setting through a bass tube amp would sound like. I don’t think this is the tool for that job though.

tlarson58
Reactions:

@voodoorat: I've always wondered about it's usefulness for a bass guitar. It's what it was designed for, right?

After a little reading I found some posts that said the 50 watts wasn't great for pushing a lot of low end.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
voodoorat
Reactions:

tlarson58 wrote:[mention]voodoorat[/mention]: I've always wondered about it's usefulness for a bass guitar. It's what it was designed for, right?

After a little reading I found some posts that said the 50 watts wasn't great for pushing a lot of low end.
I did some experimentation; I think it actually sounds pretty great as a bass amp but it’s got pretty limited functionality because (depending on the bass I’m sure) if the gain is turned up above maybe 9 or 10 o’clock it starts complaining, so it’s not very loud in the room. I think on Friday I’m going to try mic’ing it (we usually DI the bass from a Hartke head).

Worst case it seems like a pretty great guitar amp (if you don’t miss reverb and trem too much).

tonebender
Reactions:

I had a 59 RI Bassman back in the early 2000's. I gigged with it quite a few times then moved it on. They are quite heavy.