Whats your' latest gear acquisition?

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
slowhand84
Reactions:

Grabbed this today for a great price and its on the way...absolutely insane birdseye maple neck.
Attachments
000000118196161-00-2000x2000.jpg
000000118196161-02-2000x2000.jpg
000000118196161-03-2000x2000.jpg
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:09 pm Grabbed this today for a great price and its on the way...absolutely insane birdseye maple neck.
Very cool...my Strat clone (Maya) that exact color...I'd recommend a mint green guard with cream plastics...makes a difference.
slowhand84
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:13 pm
slowhand84 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:09 pm Grabbed this today for a great price and its on the way...absolutely insane birdseye maple neck.
Very cool...my Strat clone (Maya) that exact color...I'd recommend a mint green guard with cream plastics...makes a difference.
Yeah seafoam green is always a classic color for strats, I like it a lot. I need another strat like a hole in the head but it was just over $400 shipped w/case so I couldn't resist.

This pickguard is definitely going to go ASAP, hoping to find some nice pickups in here judging by how nice the rest of it is, but if not I have a set of Bareknuckles looking for a home :D .
RiverDog
Reactions:

voodoorat wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:55 pm Picked this up on the used market today. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Noice! I love Martin guitars. What model?
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
"Perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break."
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

Wow, now that's a great snag. I've been buying and selling $800 to $1500 acoustics trying to find what I want for cheap and have had some good guitars and still do but, I've concluded that it just ain't going to happen until I just bite the bullet and step up my purchase price. I'm trying to duplicate that rich tone of a 10 or so year old D-28. I'm a big fan of Gibson Acoustics but IMO there's nothing that compares to the tone of of a well aged Rosewood Martin.
voodoorat
Reactions:

RiverDog wrote:
voodoorat wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:55 pm Picked this up on the used market today. Image

Noice! I love Martin guitars. What model?
It’s an HD-28 with aftermarket K&K Pure Mini PU.

voodoorat
Reactions:

redman wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:01 pm Wow, now that's a great snag. I've been buying and selling $800 to $1500 acoustics trying to find what I want for cheap and have had some good guitars and still do but, I've concluded that it just ain't going to happen until I just bite the bullet and step up my purchase price. I'm trying to duplicate that rich tone of a 10 or so year old D-28. I'm a big fan of Gibson Acoustics but IMO there's nothing that compares to the tone of of a well aged Rosewood Martin.
I have a few acoustics now and strangely several of them are rosewood b/s. The only Gibson acoustic I have is a J45 Studio Rosewood, which I like a lot although the finish is pretty fragile (and it's the least physically attractive of them all IMO). I have a few Eastman now, including a (mahogany) E6OM, a (also hog) E10D, and an AC-630BD. I like all those acoustics a lot although the little and big Eastman do not have electronics, but the dread does. I like them all but really love that E10D, the way it plays/responds and sounds--it kind of scratches the D-18 itch for me, and I think I got that one for like $800. It came with an LR Baggs Element when I got it and I replaced the stock Fishman in the Gibson with the same pickup (a huge improvement IMO). The only other Martin I have is a first-year MMV, which is kind of a cheaper-components-and-construction D-28. It didn't have any electronics so I put a soundhole LR Baggs M80 in it. I got that one from my cousin and it's a bit of a beater but it's a great player.

I got a bonus at work and have been thinking about an HD-28 for a while and I actually had *just* pulled the trigger on getting one new from Sweetwater when this one cropped up on the local market. That one has the nicer Fishman dual-source pickup in it, but I actually have heard great things about the K&K and was thinking about getting one installed in the big Eastman. Just really lucked into this deal, fortunately I was able to cancel the Sweetwater order before it shipped. That good luck saved me like $1,200. I paid $2,550 for mine and the one I'd green-lit new was going to be about $3,800 with tax and everything.

As far as the tonal differences... It makes sense because they are all different but it's also crazy how different they all sound. The MMV actually sounds great--unless you listen to it back-to-back with the E10D, the AC630BD or the HD28, then you can kind of hear where it's a little lacking. But it's kind of the most comfortable player of the lot and also the one I'm least worried about banging on something. The MMV is actually a great deal for what it is, I got mine for $1,100 from my nephew and I overpaid him for it, I actually bought another one for $800 I think (and sold it for a little more). But there's definitely something about the "real thing", I think this one will be a forever guitar for me. Strangely, of those 4 the HD-28 is by far the loudest of any of them even though I (temporarily--it's all I had in monel) put super light 11-gauge strings on it. I have monels on all of them (I know some people hate them but I love them) except the MMV since it's got a magnetic pickup so it's an apples to apples comparison.

If you do want to stick to that $1,500 budget, Eastman make really great guitars IMO, and can be found on the used market for a steal. An E20D-TC might give give even a well-played HD-28 a run for its money at like a third the cost. I do like my Gibson a lot but you definitely pay a lot more for what you get with a Gibson than an Eastman (or than a Martin, for that matter, IMO).
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

I have a Eastman E10D but I like my Yamaha LL16 much better I also kept a Yamaha FGX830C I keep tuned to open E and just use it for slide stuff I also settled in on a Yamaha FG820 12 12 string. When I decided to join AGF at the old site I had been lurking at least a couple of years and I owned 2 acoustics a Gibson Jumbo L4-A 6 string and a Martin X-Series 12 string acoustic. I was having a bit of trouble out of the L4-A and gassing up here on AGF and next thing I sold both and started my search. Here's what I've bought and sold since I joined Ive bought and sold this last year or so.

Walnut Gibson G-45 1st batch no hole in the upper bout,Yamaha A5M, Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-200, Epiphone Inspired by Gibson Hummingbird, YamahaFG-TA, D'angelico Premier Riverside (this was a SFO from GC)

MY LONG GONE LIST

L4-A (Still have the LP)
qNQlEGS[1].jpg
Martin 12 String
gnyDj29[1].jpg
Premire Riverside
nstllSL[1].jpg
Yamaha FG-TA
W7NdO3D[1].jpg
redman
Reactions:

ISG Hummingbird
8TpzqKs[1].jpg
ISG J-200
y0DhwwC[1].jpg
Gibson G-45
dIAq1vI[1].png
Eastman E10D
7nUbTqm[1].jpg
Yamaha's LL16, FGX830C, FG820 12
Z8Q0ma2[1].jpg
JeffBeck
Reactions:

My new (to me) Larrivee LV-30. Got a killer deal on it and absolutely love it.
0DE04678-BD38-4B14-8B2C-BD06DFC19C73.jpeg
95DF5DA3-FD4A-4994-9B61-9EF1DDAAC34F.jpeg
7EF777AE-CC64-4EF3-A0CF-CACFE4310FDA.jpeg
redman
Reactions:

I played one of those at the Acoustic Corner in Black Mountain, NC a few weeks ago and was really impressed. I don't remember the model # but it was a Dreadnaught cut-away with electronics for about $2000. I should circle back around there and check that Larrivee out again. That top is gorgeous congrats on a great snag.
Partscaster
Reactions:

that looks great. A partscaster I assume.
I like the pickguard, I think it goes well with neck and body. And its unusual.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
slowhand84
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:18 pm
that looks great. A partscaster I assume.
I like the pickguard, I think it goes well with neck and body. And its unusual.
Thanks! Yep, probably Warmoth or something similar...I have an amazing trio of these type of partscasters grabbed from GC and this looks like it might make a killer fourth. The neck alone is probably $600+ new so at under $500 it should be a winner...will find out Wed!
slowhand84
Reactions:

Oh lookie here, its another partscaster...same store as the seafoam green one above with the wild birdseye neck (which this also features, along with an EMG loaded pickguard). Fingers crossed - seafoam arrives tomorrow and this dark blue pearl one probably early next week.
Attachments
000000118196088-01-2000x2000.jpg
000000118196088-00-720x720.jpg
solteroblues
Reactions:

Grabbed this around midnight last night on Reverb. PRS 594. Should be here next week.

Flatline
Reactions:

umm..... I bought some strings. Fancy Elixir ones.

I have been GAS'ing for a couple things lately. I'd like to replace a Fender 72 Thinline in natural that I sold shortly after my son was born to pay medical bills. One was my first "real" guitar back around '97-ish. I sold it around 2006. It's one of the few I wish I would have kept. Also, I'd like to find a Gibson SG Standard.
golem
Reactions:

@Flatline I like Elixirs. SG standard should be doable.
Flatline
Reactions:

golem wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:02 pm @Flatline I like Elixirs. SG standard should be doable.
I'll eventually find both. I just have to find the right deal. :)
honyock
Reactions:

Selling my DSL5cr and I picked up an insane 50w head off Amazon as a warehouse deal...

I think the 50w head sounds better at bedroom volume than the DSL5 does in the 0.5w mode probably thanks to the master volume and level knob on the dirt channel.

The cleans are the real seller on this thing thus far. Sound great through the open back Monoprice 1x12 that I pulled the V30 and installed a WGS G12CS. I have the V30 in my heavy as hell MDF closed back Fender 1x12 cabinet that basically looks the same as the newer SCXD 1x12s.

Reverb is a bit weak, but it has a real spring tank, so maybe just needs a different one? Maybe I'll look at what the Laney this probably copies used since this looks like a copy of that design possibly.

The only problem is the head is wider than the cabinet, so I have to use one of those wire racks with the head stacked on it. Luckily I have a few of those little 3 shelf ones to handle the job.

Stock photo for now since I am still working on my office layout changes. Image

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
Lacking Talent
Reactions:

redman
Reactions:

@solteroblues that top is gorgeous I'm a PRS fanboy for sure. Is it a S2 or a core model doesn't matter either way you got yourself one fine guitar congrats.
glasshand
Reactions:

Oh, nothing much, just this little old thing I picked up in the neighborhood yesterday...
Rickenbacker-4003-1.jpg
I was negotiating the purchase of one, and that was stalling out, and then this one showed up, in better condition, closer to me, and for a lower price. And it came with the original case and paperwork!
jtcnj
Reactions:

The budget line instrument cables I've been using have had at least one if not both ends go bad and either repaired or replaced.
Over the course of 6 years of daily play (at home only), so not too bad.

I bit on a Musicians Friend SDOD for these, due here tomorrow, $43.
image.png
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accesso ... -ft-2-pack

I'm in a stay position with the economy and inflation right now, but still on the lookout for deals, mainly used gear.

The Firefly / GuitarsGarden page has me coming back though...... I'm really happy with the V.
They now have Jazzmaster and PRS styled items, a nice PJ bass, and others, and sold out quick on Firebird with 3 mini hums. There are 2HB Firebird style.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
Lamf77
Reactions:

Facebook seller I've dealt with before needed cash. Lamf77's pawn to the rescue. Pretty much mint. Some minor cracks around pickguard.....easy swap I assume . Anyone have any ideas how to cover up a small chip in the chrome selector switch circle? Something I can dab on just to hide a bit? Thanks!ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

jtcnj
Reactions:

solder?
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.