NGD - Hard Rock Cafe Tele (?)

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
slowhand84
Reactions:

Every now and then GC has what appears to be a really sweet partscaster dirt cheap and being that those purchases are 100% risk free I grab it...which is what happened when I spotted this for $150 a few days ago. No clue what the story with it is but now that it's arrived I can tell you it's a killer little thinline tele!

Really comfortable maple neck with (interestingly) a richlite board, looks like a basswood body with a flame maple top and cream binding (it's probably a plain maple cap with a flame veneer), and solid yet unbranded locking tuners. Fretwork is perfect, action is nice and low with no buzzing or issues, and the guitar is SUPER lightweight...just over 5 lbs.

Instead of a headstock decal it has a "Hard Rock Cafe New York" badge affixed (not a sticker but an actual metal pin or badge, it looks like?), and it looks like the headstock was stained to match the body a bit better than the plain maple would have.

The neck pickup sounds REALLY good, haven't pulled it to see what it is yet...the bridge pickup is solid too (looks like it's by "Warman" which is one of those cheap brands churning out decent pups ala GFS). Most importantly the guitar feels great and plays like butter, which is more than a little surprising given what I paid. It's easily up there with something like a MIM Fender in terms of build quality.

Some pics here and I'll get some clips up soon:

jhull54
Reactions:

NICE!! Love me some telecaster.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

slowhand84
Reactions:

jhull54 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:03 pm NICE!! Love me some telecaster.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
It is quite telecaster-y! Here's a clip I recorded in 60 seconds while my homemade pizza finishes up :lol:

jhull54
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:34 pm It is quite telecaster-y! Here's a clip I recorded in 60 seconds while my homemade pizza finishes up :lol:
Tasty! Sounds like you're already basking in the warm new Tele glow! :lol:
SamIV
Reactions:

Someone spends quite a bit of time cruising GC used guitars. I do occasionally, but it’s usually brand and model specific. Was recently looking at used PRS CE24 models, but Sweetwater comes close to the pricing for a new model due to its percentage off and free shipping. You seem to get some deals though. Nice looking Tele style guitar. Are you trying to catch up with a certain left handed guitar buyer here?
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Nice! There's something unusually awesome about quirky finds that work out well.
slowhand84
Reactions:

SamIV wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:58 am Someone spends quite a bit of time cruising GC used guitars. I do occasionally, but it’s usually brand and model specific. Was recently looking at used PRS CE24 models, but Sweetwater comes close to the pricing for a new model due to its percentage off and free shipping. You seem to get some deals though. Nice looking Tele style guitar. Are you trying to catch up with a certain left handed guitar buyer here?
Oh I am nowhere close to our friend @tobijohn level, this latest one puts the grand total at 28 and I think he's well over 100. If I ever got there I'd probably have to move my bed up to my roof to make space :).

And you'd be surprised actually...I think some folks see my finds and assume I spend tons of time browsing to score these but I rarely spend more than 20 minutes at a time browsing GC, and it's usually something I do on average 2-3 times a week. This latest tele grab isn't anything crazy high end but I have multiple guitars that were close to $3K new that I've grabbed from GC used for as little as $400...not a bad return on about an hour's worth of work every week!

There aren't many insane steals to be found at GC on major brand stuff like PRS, Fender, Gibson, etc...but that's not what I'm after. For what I hunt for (USA built custom instruments, high end partscasters, etc) GC Used is an absolute goldmine.
Jaymo
Reactions:
Gearlist: SX Liquid. SX Hawk. Sawtooth Tele. Ibanez GAX70L. SX Callisto STD+. Ibanez miKro bass. Jay Turser Pbass. Carvin LB70L.

Being a lefty sure saves me money on GAS purchases, via limiting my choices in guitars and basses.

That's a nice Tele.
slowhand84
Reactions:

Jaymo wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:29 pm Being a lefty sure saves me money on GAS purchases, via limiting my choices in guitars and basses.

That's a nice Tele.
Thanks! Sadly I’m a righty so options are plentiful, good for my GAS but bad for my wallet :)