Whats your' latest gear acquisition?

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
tobijohn
Reactions:

redman wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:41 am Finally after 65 years on this planet I am Well Hung. I contacted Brad to make a strap for my Gibson G-45 and this was a great experience. After a few emails everything was ready to go materials, color, length and width then a very few days later it was finished and in my mailbox along with several "Bonus Gifts". He absolutely nailed it this strap is beautiful, comfortable and incredibly well made I was so impressed that I'm going to have him make one for my electrics oh yea he also made me a set of straplocks. I can't recommend Well Hung enough.
Thank you Brad it was truly a pleasure doing business with you and outstanding strap you made for me.

MY NEW STRAP SLUNG ACROSS MY G-45
j0CxOmb[1].jpg
Did @TVvoodoo include a bag of Canadian Cheetos in the swag? He stiffed me on those with the last few straps I've ordered...:)
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

My straplocks and goodies a Well Hung banner, sticker, 4 picks and yes Hawkins Cheezies' @tobijohn
jl2vKar[1].jpg
fzAgFKP[1].jpg
TVvoodoo
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:47 am Did @TVvoodoo include a bag of Canadian Cheetos in the swag? He stiffed me on those with the last few straps I've ordered...:)
Johnny, I was probably out of them... they were really hard to source for about eight months of the pandemic. The salt and fat content of those orange little devils isn't doing anyone any favours. Could make it up to you with your next order though :twisted:
Endless source of eye-rolling dad jokes, aspiring empty-nester, custom strap-maker https://reverb.com/ca/shop/well-hung-guitar-accessories
Chocol8
Reactions:

Brad is the man. The only straps that are close to my Well-Hung straps are my other Well-Hung straps. You know his stuff is good when you see him post pictures and you think about what kind of guitar you could buy to justify buying the strap.
TVvoodoo
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:15 pm Brad is the man. The only straps that are close to my Well-Hung straps are my other Well-Hung straps. You know his stuff is good when you see him post pictures and you think about what kind of guitar you could buy to justify buying the strap.
Thank you. I am so blessed to be able to deal with a lot of really cool nutcases
Endless source of eye-rolling dad jokes, aspiring empty-nester, custom strap-maker https://reverb.com/ca/shop/well-hung-guitar-accessories
voodoorat
Reactions:

Got a real (starter) kit cheap on local market and moved the e-kit to my bedroom. Will probably get a ride later when I can find a deal.

It’s the Ludwig Accent set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dabbler
Reactions:

Sure M7 alder 5 string bass:
PXL_20210605_225945984.jpg
Chocol8
Reactions:

I used to have a Twin Reverb loaded JBL D120’s that lately I have been missing. Last week I picked up a Hard Truckers style 1x12 cabinet loaded with a JBL E120. The E120 was a ceramic descendant of the JBL D120 that was offered as a premium upgrade by Fender in the 1960’s into the early 70’s. All the 120 series JBL’s are LOUD clear and bright with a huge 4” coil and equally large aluminum dust cap. Their 103 db sensitivity makes your amp about 6db louder than a typical Celestion or Jensen. 6db is equal to doubling power twice, so a 50 watt amp driving the old JBLs will have similar output to a 200 watt amp pushing Celestions. The 100 watt silver face TR with a pair is like a 400 watt monster! The E version is a BEAST rated for 150 watts in an open back and 300 in a closed back cab. No need for two for any of my foreseeable needs. Feed it enough power and just one can cover a pretty good sized gig!

So, today I found another treat at a local moving sale. A Fender (Fender style? It has no badging) bassman 2x12 extension cab that had that familiar sparkle coming through the grill cloth. Owner said he loaded a pair of new K120’s into it in the 70’s and they have been in there untouched since. Drool!!! The K120 was the version in between the D and E. The old D’s had a paper cone that went straight to the edge with no real surround. VERY few of them still have the original cones because the lack of a surround limited the excursion and power handling and they pretty much all failed in the hands of guitarists. They switched to a cloth surround in the 60’s which helped a little raising power handling from about 35 watts each to about 50. In the early 70’s JBL added a rolled cloth surround and widened the coil gap from .053 to .057 and called it the K120 with a 150 watt rating. Like the D’s, Fender offered the K’s as an upgrade for the SilverFace amps. Many D’s today are essentially K’s after being reconed with the upgraded K kits the JBL sold under the same part number. Many others and many abused K’s have been reconed with less than ideal sounding non-JBL cones so it can be a crapshoot buying these things if you can’t inspect them closely. Long story short, with no way to see what was inside without removing a lot of screws, I took a gamble and trusted the guys story. :o Got home and opened it up, and woohoo! Two new looking K120’s with original cones...WIN! :mrgreen:

Despite the size difference, both of these cabs are near equally LOUD, tight and bright. They sound great clean or with moderate distortion as long as you know what the tone controls on your amp and guitar are for. Guys who used JBL’s with Fender amps include Dick Dale, BB King, Freddie King, SRV, Doug Gilmour and Jerry Garcia. Dwayne Allman and Dickie Betts used them with Marshall’s (check out the live Filmore album for tones) as did Jimi Hendrix.

Here is the 1x12 E120 cab in front of the mystery 2x12 and then the reveal pic of the 2 Alnico K’s and for comparison, the ceramic E.
84BC99DF-5C39-4081-8A2F-5A76AA60E985.jpeg
72FEA1CA-95D4-4D8C-9FE5-9CBB50A38885.jpeg
41C922B2-B31B-4441-8943-BF9ABF0FEEB3.jpeg
glasshand
Reactions:

OK, I don't actually have it yet...but my SX Hawk in mahogany with the TOM/stop tail is listed as "ready to ship"!
tobijohn
Reactions:

Picked up a couple more Harley Benton b-stocks a few weeks back, T-20MN LH CAR Strat and a MS-60LH VW Mustang. The build quality is very good, much better than you'd expect at these price points ($70 for the Strat, $130 for the Mustang). I can't speak to the sound and playability as I haven't plugged them in yet. Anyway, I have a roller bridge for the Mustang and @Buddha Pickups is winding a set of pickups for it, not sure yet what I'll put in the Strat :
Attachments
HB Strat and Mustang 2.jpg
mozz
Reactions:

Couldn't refuse this even though i don't play bass. There's a 1/4" of dust on it and the plastic is still on the pickguard, 1998 MIM. $275
IMG_20210619_102959021_HDR.jpg
AGF refugee
glasshand
Reactions:

Got my Hawk in the other day! I will of course post a full review, but first impressions are pretty damn good. The fretwork is actually what I would call amazing for a $180 guitar; I've played guitars costing three times as much that had worse frets. I expect some roughness along the edges of the fretboard, but this has none. The rest of the manufacture feels good too. The fretboard is a little dry, but that's to be expected.
jtcnj
Reactions:

got this Klon clone through Wish.
Though I try not to buy from China, its hard sometimes.
Same for the Monoprice / Indio Tele.

A/B it with my Soul Food; it is a similar "transparent" overdrive, very similar to the Soul Food. It is a little brighter, a little gainier, and slightly noisier than the Soul Food, at the same pot settings.

No complaints for under $50. The plan is to sell one, once I decide which.
20210626_102749.jpg
20210626_102945.jpg
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
glasshand
Reactions:

I got a couple Barefoot Buttons for my pedals, because I want to see if it makes it easier to get on and off them quickly during a busy song. (Minor pet peeve: pedal designers who put the LED right next to the button, so then you can't actually see it while your foot is on the pedal.)
barefoot-pedals.jpg
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Chocol8 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:50 pm I used to have a Twin Reverb loaded JBL D120’s that lately I have been missing. Last week I picked up a Hard Truckers style 1x12 cabinet loaded with a JBL E120. The E120 was a ceramic descendant of the JBL D120 that was offered as a premium upgrade by Fender in the 1960’s into the early 70’s. All the 120 series JBL’s are LOUD clear and bright with a huge 4” coil and equally large aluminum dust cap. Their 103 db sensitivity makes your amp about 6db louder than a typical Celestion or Jensen. 6db is equal to doubling power twice, so a 50 watt amp driving the old JBLs will have similar output to a 200 watt amp pushing Celestions. The 100 watt silver face TR with a pair is like a 400 watt monster! The E version is a BEAST rated for 150 watts in an open back and 300 in a closed back cab. No need for two for any of my foreseeable needs. Feed it enough power and just one can cover a pretty good sized gig!

So, today I found another treat at a local moving sale. A Fender (Fender style? It has no badging) bassman 2x12 extension cab that had that familiar sparkle coming through the grill cloth. Owner said he loaded a pair of new K120’s into it in the 70’s and they have been in there untouched since. Drool!!! The K120 was the version in between the D and E. The old D’s had a paper cone that went straight to the edge with no real surround. VERY few of them still have the original cones because the lack of a surround limited the excursion and power handling and they pretty much all failed in the hands of guitarists. They switched to a cloth surround in the 60’s which helped a little raising power handling from about 35 watts each to about 50. In the early 70’s JBL added a rolled cloth surround and widened the coil gap from .053 to .057 and called it the K120 with a 150 watt rating. Like the D’s, Fender offered the K’s as an upgrade for the SilverFace amps. Many D’s today are essentially K’s after being reconed with the upgraded K kits the JBL sold under the same part number. Many others and many abused K’s have been reconed with less than ideal sounding non-JBL cones so it can be a crapshoot buying these things if you can’t inspect them closely. Long story short, with no way to see what was inside without removing a lot of screws, I took a gamble and trusted the guys story. :o Got home and opened it up, and woohoo! Two new looking K120’s with original cones...WIN! :mrgreen:

Despite the size difference, both of these cabs are near equally LOUD, tight and bright. They sound great clean or with moderate distortion as long as you know what the tone controls on your amp and guitar are for. Guys who used JBL’s with Fender amps include Dick Dale, BB King, Freddie King, SRV, Doug Gilmour and Jerry Garcia. Dwayne Allman and Dickie Betts used them with Marshall’s (check out the live Filmore album for tones) as did Jimi Hendrix.

Here is the 1x12 E120 cab in front of the mystery 2x12 and then the reveal pic of the 2 Alnico K’s and for comparison, the ceramic E.

84BC99DF-5C39-4081-8A2F-5A76AA60E985.jpeg

72FEA1CA-95D4-4D8C-9FE5-9CBB50A38885.jpeg

41C922B2-B31B-4441-8943-BF9ABF0FEEB3.jpeg

^ Killer if you seek: 'loud-clear-balanced.'
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Chocol8
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:21 am ^ Killer if you seek: 'loud-clear-balanced.'
Yes, they do dirt tones as well, but they won’t hide any warts so you may need extra EQ to tame the fizz or extra high end that something like a Greenback will naturally roll off.
jtcnj
Reactions:

The Monoprice Indio Tele arrived Sunday evening.
No real complaints.
I like it.
I wanted a Squier CV 50's butterscotch or blonde body with maple fretboard, but for less than $100, ok.
Playable out of the box; will need a little fine tuning when I change strings this weekend.
The strings on it are ok until then.

Seems reasonably well made, hardware and tuners usable, the tuners are not bad at all.
The pickups aren't horrible, though I'm no expert on single coils.

fretwork and nut pretty good, no sharp fret ends.
Medium size frets, not jumbo.
Medium C I would call the neck profile on the thinner side, satin finish. Feels good, though I prefer a chunckier neck.

It has one finish blotch or glue repair on the neck pocket; may be a shim glued in.
Since quality control can be hit or miss and I got an otherwise good one, I figure its a keeper.
I need to pull the neck and take a closer look though.

Didnt weigh it yet, probably around 8lbs at most. Balances ok; the neck will creep down hands off but no dive.
I like it.

I would give it an edge over the lowest end basswood SX Hawk and Furrian, at least comparing the individual guitars I got.
Particularly the fretwork, the nut, and the finish is much more even.
20210629_181937-2.jpg
20210629_181957-2.jpg
20210629_182120-2.jpg
20210629_182350-2.jpg
20210629_182013-2.jpg
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
BrianSkeezer
Reactions:

I got my Liquid last week, and although I liked it out of the box, I decided to mod it.

The first thing I did was put a white switch tip on and chrome knobs. I didn't think the black looked right. It was set up perfectly out of the box, and after tuning it, I noticed the buzzing D string saddle on the bridge. I had an extra Wilkinson style roller that I threw on and retuned. Great medium C neck, fretwork is perfect with very minimal fret end treatment needed (just a quick go-over with a foam nail file). I haven't weighed it, but it's not as heavy as some of my others, but not a lightweight either. I figure it's close to 9 pounds. That arm contour on the front makes this very comfortable to play too.

The pickups were good, but I wanted to try out a set of mini hums (since I don't have any of those), so I ordered a set of Artec AlNiCo 2s and black 90 surrounds from Guitar Madness. They got here on Monday, and I got 'em in there. Had to route 2 spots in each of the P90 cavities for the long legs of the pickups, but it worked out. The mini hums sound brighter to me than the P90s. I really like them. A now pic:
SX Liquid 3.jpg
slowhand84
Reactions:

tobijohn
Reactions:

BrianSkeezer wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:56 pm ...The pickups were good, but I wanted to try out a set of mini hums (since I don't have any of those), so I ordered a set of Artec AlNiCo 2s and black 90 surrounds from Guitar Madness. They got here on Monday, and I got 'em in there. Had to route 2 spots in each of the P90 cavities for the long legs of the pickups, but it worked out. The mini hums sound brighter to me than the P90s. I really like them. A now pic:
That looks great! I've got a three P90 LPB Liquid that I'll be putting minis in too. I'm using the adapters though that use springs instead of foam. I'll also be replacing the switch with a rotary style which will involve a little creative wiring to get the pickups grounded to the volume pot as there's no ground lug on the rotary like there is on the stock box switch...
BrianSkeezer
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:07 pm That looks great! I've got a three P90 LPB Liquid that I'll be putting minis in too. I'm using the adapters though that use springs instead of foam. I'll also be replacing the switch with a rotary style which will involve a little creative wiring to get the pickups grounded to the volume pot as there's no ground lug on the rotary like there is on the stock box switch...
These adaptors use the springs with 2 mounting points in opposite corners. Just remember that you may have to route the cavities for the legs of the pickups, or at the very least, maybe have to drill a hole for the adjustment screws.

The rotary switch sounds very cool! I've never used, or even seen, one in person. Maybe a good connection of shielding tape under the pickguard at the switch all the way over to the pots, and then connect all of the pickup ground wires to one new wire and send it to the pots?
tobijohn
Reactions:

BrianSkeezer wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:15 am
These adaptors use the springs with 2 mounting points in opposite corners. Just remember that you may have to route the cavities for the legs of the pickups, or at the very least, maybe have to drill a hole for the adjustment screws.

The rotary switch sounds very cool! I've never used, or even seen, one in person. Maybe a good connection of shielding tape under the pickguard at the switch all the way over to the pots, and then connect all of the pickup ground wires to one new wire and send it to the pots?
Sorry, I misread that, was thinking of the Guitar Fetish adapters with the foam rubber, sounds like you're using the same style as I have in the past on a couple other guitars (Wilkinson brand). Luckily, the minis I'm using have the shorter legs. I found that I had to glue lengths of plastic tubing as spacers in each corner to keep the surface of the adapter level with the top of the guitar, otherwise they tended to tip towards the corners where the screws that attach it to the body are. The adapters also sat a little too low in the routs and the spacers helped lift them up. I initially used the harder stuff normally for the refrigerator automatic ice cube maker feed line but regular aquarium tubing will also work . Links below for anyone else interested. They're available from other sellers on eBay but GM is by far the least expensive::

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283914638705?h ... SwjYFe5oWB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283914639994?h ... SwZE1fDjOA
Gfurman
Reactions:

2014 Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster in butterscotch.

Picked up local off Craigslist.

No mods needed. Very smooth neck and frets. Pups are superb. Even the pots are smooth and responsive.

Even though the new Indo versions have received favorable reviews, I preferred one of the older Chinese makes. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

notme
Reactions:

Love the CV tele....really kicking myself for selling mine. My MIM does not feel or sound as good to me, close though.
notme
Reactions:

I fell for one of these flierfly LP things and lucked out on the lotto draw. These have been good for the mostpart but some real lemons do come through,, and several in the last batch or 2, just ask tobijohn. This one did not have the infamous washers under the bridge. It needed a refief adjustment,, intonation and the 12th fret tapped down. 2 of the tuners are installed slightly crooked but do not stand out. The pickups are certainly serviceable but i have others to in go it. Finish is very nice, no issues. Neck shape is a hair thinner then my dauntless.
Brothers in arms photop with smoky background for shits and giggles.
Happy canada day!
Attachments
20210701_135313.jpg
20210701_135305.jpg