Any LP-type guitar owners completely abandon humbuckers?

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

Ok, I should probably explain: it's not just that you own a standard Les Paul (or similar type guitar) with humbuckers and maybe another one with P90's. I am wondering if anyone has completely given up on regular gibby PAF-style pickups in all their guitars, opting out for the various styles of single coils and brighter/janglier options like filtertrons?
Pictures are optional but highly encouraged ;)
watercaster
Reactions:

I have a tele I built with TV Jones Setzer Sigs in them and this guitar is the least played one out of 14 that I have. To me, it's just a weak sounding humbucker. Does anyone know if there is a P90 that fits a filtertron route? I just love the P90 tone.
Lacking Talent
Reactions:

If you like TV Jones' build quality and pricing, they have what you're looking for in a variety of mounting styles at https://tvjones.com/t-90-bridge-english-mount/, here's a pic of just one example....

You could easily move the Sezter Sigs on either of the two Gretsch boards.

Alternatively, Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars https://vintagevibeguitars.com/ will build you anything you like.
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

Well, I'm not so much asking advice, I kind of know what I would want. I'm just curious if there are others who feel they like Les Pauls, but don't really miss the PAF's. I already have an LP-guitar with the twangy Dream 180's, 2 guitars with Filtertrons, one with P90's, it's not for lack of options. But my Epi LP Custom (as traded from someone) has P-Rails in neck position and a metal rail bucker in bridge, it's a bit out of genre for me :)
Lacking Talent
Reactions:

My advice was in response to [mention]watercaster[/mention] 's post.
voodoorat
Reactions:

not quite completely abandoned, but humbuckers are in the distinct minority. all i have left are the agile ad3200 (seth lovers), the prs se zach myer singlecut (guitarmadness 57s), and a firefly 338 (guitarmadness 59s). one of the basses has an eb-style active humbucker. everything else electric (probably 15 or so?) is either tele/strat single coil, p90, or filter'tron style. almost all the guitars i've sold/traded have had humbuckers so i think i have a pretty clear preference... the only one i actually took a humbucker out of and replaced it with a single coil though was the blacktop baritone telecaster, put a gfs surf-90 in the bridge instead of the gross muddy ceramic hb it came stock with.
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

voodoorat wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:17 am ... the only one i actually took a humbucker out of and replaced it with a single coil though was the blacktop baritone telecaster, put a gfs surf-90 in the bridge instead of the gross muddy ceramic hb it came stock with.
How do you like the Surf 90? My guess was that it's great for a baritone.
voodoorat
Reactions:

Gear_Junky wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:51 am
voodoorat wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:17 am ... the only one i actually took a humbucker out of and replaced it with a single coil though was the blacktop baritone telecaster, put a gfs surf-90 in the bridge instead of the gross muddy ceramic hb it came stock with.
How do you like the Surf 90? My guess was that it's great for a baritone.
it's great for the baritone, imo. the humbucker was awful and very muddy (and actually the two single coils on hat guitar are pretty bad too, but the surf-90 is very articulate and makes up for the other two--it's weird, in middle position it's all 3 pickups and every position with that pickup included sounds good to me now).

the two paul (tribute)s that i've kept are both p90s.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

I find that over time my preference for certain types of pickups wanes/waxes just like the moon, just like it does for types of guitars. I've not abandoned any of them though, HB's still have a place in my stable ( small one that it is ).

I did pull the Mini HB's out of a deluxe once because I wanted P90's instead, but then I got another deluxe that has some mini HB's that sound glorious.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )