Budget Acoustic & Classical?

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
PsychoCid
Reactions:

Hey all. I'm considering picking up either an acoustic or a classical guitar again.

Any great budget options out there to scope? Thanks in advance!
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

I don’t know much about nylon, but for basic acoustics Yamaha always has a lot of nice offerings. I’m personally a fan of Alvarez/Yairi from the 80s/90s. The Taylor 100 series are nice too albeit a bit more $$..but I like the satin finish a lot. Try a GS mini too..,they are small only in size .
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
slowhand84
Reactions:

PsychoCid wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:22 pm Hey all. I'm considering picking up either an acoustic or a classical guitar again.

Any great budget options out there to scope? Thanks in advance!
Can you give us an idea of what your budget is? Would help to make more accurate recommendations. Generally speaking I would always lean towards Takamine...their high end stuff is insane (my EF450C is one of the only guitars I would never ever sell) but their budget stuff is also really excellent.
honyock
Reactions:

If you can find a Valencia classical like Rondo used to carry they make one of the best bang for buck around. Cant remember the model of mine, but it was a steal as far as I am concerned.

Wish I still had access to my old AGF PMs so I could remember the model...

edit: I think it is a CL50CE perhaps.
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
mickey
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:08 am If you can find a Valencia classical like Rondo used to carry they make one of the best bang for buck around. Cant remember the model of mine, but it was a steal as far as I am concerned.

Wish I still had access to my old AGF PMs so I could remember the model...

edit: I think it is a CL50CE perhaps.
I was going to suggest a used Valencia also. Best bang for the buck I've ever seen in a classical guitar!
Yep, the CL-50CE is a great guitar! Kurt sold it for $250, but anything similar in a music store will run you $1000-$1500.

Another casualty of Kurt's megastring fetish.
Gandalf the Intonationer
PsychoCid
Reactions:

Ah yeah, thanks all. A Valencia would be just what the doctor ordered.

Used to have a 1984 Takamine 12 string, absolutely killer and would recommend.
Tiga
Reactions:

I'm a fan of Seagull. Also on the cheap - got my daughter an $80 Lucerno nylon classical guitar (because she liked the color LOL) and it's surprisingly playable.

Edit: I also recently tried one of the Ibanez AC240 - Concert sized with solid mahogany top. $299 and occasionally goes on sale - I was beyond impressed.
Pilipete_Townshend
Reactions:

There are son many of them now. Not too long ago I picked up D'angelico classical budget. The looks is very nice but the sound is just okay. I had old Yamaha that sounds better. La Petrie (im not sure if I fumbled that) under seagull use to have good nylons. One of the best budget acoustic that I played overall is Yamaha and Seagull.
Kerry Brown
Reactions:

Without knowing your budget it’s hard to recommend. I have a La Patrie Etude that I bought used for a couple hundred Canadian. I wanted to try a nylon string guitar. It is now my couch guitar and gets a lot of play the cedar tops songs a sweet song. For a steel string you can’t go wrong with Yamaha. The Taylor GS-Mini series is another great series of budget guitars.
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

Sorry about a very laconic post, but this is a link to a review of a budget acoustic I recently bought. I think you said "acoustic or classical", so this one is a steel string. But I'm watching this thread as I always wanted a decent classical guitar too :)

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=924