PSA: Lefty Jay Turser JT-133 (ES-335) $225 - Reverb

tobijohn
Reactions:

The JB/Jazz set in it is worth half the price of the guitar. Based on my personal experience, the build quality on these is better than the Firefly version and about equal to that of the Harley Bentons. I'd have bought it myself, but I already have one and I need to conserve what little room I have left for the few others still on my bucket list:

https://reverb.com/item/58054306-lefty- ... term=Email
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
honyock
Reactions:

Had I not just received my Revstar, my Musikraft neck, and my RB-414 in the past 3 weeks surrounding our family vacation, I would pull that trigger in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
tobijohn
Reactions:

I think the fact that this is still available as well as the number of $100 discount offers I've received from new Gretsch G-5322/32 sellers on eBay is an indicator that the bull market in used guitars might be over.
honyock
Reactions:

Dangit. They accepted my offer...

I made the mistake of looking at the cost of a new SH-2/SH-4 set and basically just offered a few bucks more than that.

I like the longer ears on these and only have one proper semi-hollow.

Saves me from buying a Benton HB35 Image

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
honyock
Reactions:

I think I will add the Lucille style wiring for the hell of it.

tobijohn
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:28 pm I think I will add the Lucille style wiring for the hell of it.

How are you going to get the Veritone switch through the f-hole or is there another way of doing this without cutting a hole in the back?
honyock
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote:
honyock wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:28 pm I think I will add the Lucille style wiring for the hell of it.

How are you going to get the Veritone switch through the f-hole or is there another way of doing this without cutting a hole in the back?
I'm thinking I can build a small enough circuit to sneak it through the F hole, something like the de Lisle ones I saw on eBay.

tobijohn
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:43 pm I'm thinking I can build a small enough circuit to sneak it through the F hole, something like the de Lisle ones I saw on eBay.
That's pretty nifty!

https://www.delisleguitar.com/shop/de-l ... ne-switch/
tobijohn
Reactions:

In case anyone is wondering what this Veritone thing is all about:

https://reverb.com/news/the-varitone-ci ... son-es-345
honyock
Reactions:

NGD, it is a little smokey, but otherwise decent. Gonna do a deep clean and see if it is just sticking to the dust.

Looks like same vintage as my old HB L450+, probably same factory. The neck is 1 piece, headstock might be a great open booking candidate.

The pickups are sweet. Have a little buzz that I am going to check out, but it might have been the cheap Reverb cable. I've already had to decomission the black one I bought at the same time back in 2014.

Action/Neck needs a little adjustment got a little buzz when I dig in, but I'll let it sit in the humidity a couple weeks before I try anything.

Gotta get a new pickguard. Really want a 5 ply though, so I might have to make one myself.

tobijohn
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:58 am ...The pickups are sweet. Have a little buzz that I am going to check out, but it might have been the cheap Reverb cable...
Hopefully, the leads were left intact when the pickup swap was done and the extra length tucked into the routs if the stock pickups were just cut out. I've had a couple that came with relartively expensive pickup upgrades where rather than do that or pull the pots out and do it correctly. the leads were cut really short...
honyock
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote:
honyock wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:58 am ...The pickups are sweet. Have a little buzz that I am going to check out, but it might have been the cheap Reverb cable...
Hopefully, the leads were left intact when the pickup swap was done and the extra length tucked into the routs if the stock pickups were just cut out. I've had a couple that came with relartively expensive pickup upgrades where rather than do that or pull the pots out and do it correctly. the leads were cut really short...
They look pretty long. I could pull the clump out of the F hole, just didn't want to deal with the electrical tape last night. I will probably check the solder work and correct with heatshrink tubing.

tobijohn
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:47 pm
They look pretty long. I could pull the clump out of the F hole, just didn't want to deal with the electrical tape last night. I will probably check the solder work and correct with heatshrink tubing.

[/quote]

So, they were installed orrectly and the actual SD leads are soldered to the pots? If the pots are full sized, then the harness has also been pgraded which is what I would do if I were installing a set of pickups that have a retail value close to the cost of the guitar. A quick way to tell is that the nuts on full size metric pots have an 11mm nut and the ones on the minis (and push/pulls) have 10mm nut.
tobijohn
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:47 pm They look pretty long. I could pull the clump out of the F hole, just didn't want to deal with the electrical tape last night. I will probably check the solder work and correct with heatshrink tubing.
So, they were installed correctly and the actual SD leads are soldered to the pots? If the pots are full sized, then the harness has also been upgraded which is what I would do if I were installing a set of pickups that have a retail value close to the cost of the guitar. A quick way to tell is that the nuts on full size metric pots have an 11mm nut and the ones on the minis (and push/pulls) have 10mm nut.

EDIT: I initially missed that reference to electrical tape. So maybe the stock leads were clipped leaving some length soldered to the pots and the end of that is what the SD leads are soldered to and then wrapped with tape?
honyock
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:10 pm
honyock wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:47 pm They look pretty long. I could pull the clump out of the F hole, just didn't want to deal with the electrical tape last night. I will probably check the solder work and correct with heatshrink tubing.
So, they were installed correctly and the actual SD leads are soldered to the pots? If the pots are full sized, then the harness has also been upgraded which is what I would do if I were installing a set of pickups that have a retail value close to the cost of the guitar. A quick way to tell is that the nuts on full size metric pots have an 11mm nut and the ones on the minis (and push/pulls) have 10mm nut.

EDIT: I initially missed that reference to electrical tape. So maybe the stock leads were clipped leaving some length soldered to the pots and the end of that is what the SD leads are soldered to and then wrapped with tape?
it is the latter, they snipped and soldered
honyock
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:10 pm

it is the latter, they snipped and soldered
honyock
Reactions:

Finally gutted the wiring, found quite a few things wrong. No ground wire, horrible soldering, messed up wire to the jack somehow wrapped around the tip connector with a hole in the insulation that I think was causing my buzz.

I will be replacing the wiring/pots/jack/switch, but I'm going to swap these pups into something more deserving at the same time.

Can't decide if I like the chrome covered pups better or not. Image