PSA: Rare bird on eBay - AL-2500 GT triple P90

tobijohn
Reactions:

I can't remember ever seeing one of these in the wild. As of this post, bidding is under $200 but it will be interesting to see what it eventualy goes for. According to the description, it's a case queen:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313954248733
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
mickey
Reactions:

I remember those on Rondo but have never seen one anywhere else so they must be quite rare!
Gandalf the Intonationer
toomanycats
Reactions:

Still sitting at $115 this morning. What's the deal with these auctions, does the price typically climb steeply near the end? I've actually never bid in an eBay auction, too much anxiety. I'm the type of person who is grateful when there's a buy now button, even if I've got to pay a little more.

It is indeed a very unique and cool Agile. I love the strap that comes with it too. The only downside I can see is that with three single coils pups I'd be wanting to access those position 2 and 4 quack tones, but the three way toggle won't allow that.

EDIT:

I just thought of a possible way to access position 2 and 4 using both the toggle and the two volume knobs.

With the toggle in the middle position and the neck pickup volume at zero, position 2 may be possible. This is of course assuming that the middle toggle position is all three pups on and the volumes are wired independent. Similarly, with the toggle in the middle position and the bridge pickup volume at zero, position 4 may be possible. Again, assuming the wiring I have described.

s-l1600.jpg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Partscaster
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:46 am Still sitting at $115 this morning. What's the deal with these auctions, does the price typically climb steeply near the end? I've actually never bid in an eBay auction, too much anxiety. I'm the type of person who is grateful when there's a buy now button, even if I've got to pay a little more.

It is indeed a very unique and cool Agile. I love the strap that comes with it too. The only downside I can see is that with three single coils pups I'd be wanting to access those position 2 and 4 quack tones, but the three way toggle won't allow that.

s-l1600.jpg
Could a rotary switch be used if no 5-way toggles existed for LP style? Little jumpers for 2 and 4 ?
I see them for about 12 $.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
mozz
Reactions:

I thought someone made a 3way toggle that was also push pull so you had 6 choices. Will have to search for that.

Wonder how green it really is. I'm afraid to take my goldtop out of the case.
AGF refugee
RockYoWorld
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:09 am
toomanycats wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:46 am Still sitting at $115 this morning. What's the deal with these auctions, does the price typically climb steeply near the end? I've actually never bid in an eBay auction, too much anxiety. I'm the type of person who is grateful when there's a buy now button, even if I've got to pay a little more.

s-l1600.jpg
Could a rotary switch be used if no 5-way toggles existed for LP style? Little jumpers for 2 and 4 ?
I see them for about 12 $.
I would go the rotary route. There's a guitar I've been thinking of doing that with for 2 HB pups similar to how I use 5-way megaswitches on my blade switch-equipped guitars with 2 HB. The Megaswitches are supposed to emulate a PRS rotary switch.
If I had something witty to say, I'd put it here.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

IIRC, most of the AL's with 3 pickups came with either a rotary 5-way selector in place of one of the traditional tone/vol controls - like this one https://www.rondomusic.com/Agile_AL-250 ... 3XP90.html. Or some came with blade switches too - like this one https://www.rondomusic.com/product240.html
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
tobijohn
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:32 am I thought someone made a 3way toggle that was also push pull so you had 6 choices. Will have to search for that.
Is this what you're thinking of?

https://www.freewayswitch.com/products/

I bought one for a three pickup SG with only a master volume and master tone control but haven't wired it up yet...
mozz
Reactions:

Yes, i think that is it. I don't know where i got push pull toggle from. This seems to be 3 towards the left and 3 towards the right. Some of those get pretty complex. How do you decide which of the 28 combinations you prefer?
AGF refugee
tobijohn
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:29 pm Yes, i think that is it. I don't know where i got push pull toggle from. This seems to be 3 towards the left and 3 towards the right. Some of those get pretty complex. How do you decide which of the 28 combinations you prefer?
Thankfully, the site also provides schematics for I think, all the possibilities. They've also got one that looks prewired to a certain degree...
tobijohn
Reactions:

FYI: Up to $370 with three days to go...
tobijohn
Reactions:

Yikes, up to $415!
tobijohn
Reactions:

$435 is the winning bid. The last iteration was listed at $295, earlier models without a pickguard went for $240 new...:

https://www.rondomusic.com/Agile_AL-250 ... 3XP90.html