Bobbin widing

pbrommer
Reactions:

Is there someone who could wind a bobbin for me to replace the internals of a pickup? I'll 3d print the shape and send it to you. I tried to move the guts over but lost the ends and made it go kaput. It's a single coil in a slightly smaller than P90 (basically a bread warmer guts).

I'll show the end results when I get it finished. Please PM me a respectable cost with shipping both ways. You guys are awesome.

Patrick

PS Been lurking as life has been busy.
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

What's the bobbin look like?
My winder requires there to be a small hole in the middle (like a strat pickup) or a hole slightly off center will work too (like a humbucker bobbin)
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Hey, Pat! I have a winder that would do any bobbin, but I do not have a 3d printer. I would need the actual bobbins.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
mozz
Reactions:

3d printing a bobbin would be pretty rough on the edges, you need it smooth. If you have the original, just strip the wire and get it rewound. I have a few winders here too if you need it rewound. Located in PA.
AGF refugee
pbrommer
Reactions:

I'll print the bobbin and have it ready to send out. It's a copy of a Rick toaster pickup internals. I have the 6 holes for the 6 alnico magnets and everything else. Just need the bobbin wound. Basically a bigger strat single coil. Or think of a p90 reduced by 10% or so.

I screwed up trying to move the internals and then messed up the plastic bobbin. I learned that Wolf guitars "toasters" are interesting single coils.

Ugh my phone pictures are too large to attach. I might print 3 just for fun. Everyone winds! :)
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

pbrommer wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:56 pm I'll print the bobbin and have it ready to send out. It's a copy of a Rick toaster pickup internals. I have the 6 holes for the 6 alnico magnets and everything else. Just need the bobbin wound. Basically a bigger strat single coil. Or think of a p90 reduced by 10% or so.

I screwed up trying to move the internals and then messed up the plastic bobbin. I learned that Wolf guitars "toasters" are interesting single coils.

Ugh my phone pictures are too large to attach. I might print 3 just for fun. Everyone winds! :)
BTW: you have the best of the AGF pickup makers ringing in here. Tim & Mozz are excellent at their craft!

How do you plan on magnetizing the rod magnets?
pbrommer
Reactions:

Don't sell yourself short, I have a pair of your firebird pickups ready to go into a project.
I found a seller of 1/4" diameter alnico 5 road magnets. Just have to cut them in half, as they are too long.

Maybe I need to document this, but I pale in comparison to those builders and players on this board.

Patrick
mozz
Reactions:

If you find a way to cut magnets, lets us know. It's basically impossible to do.
AGF refugee
mickey
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:41 pm If you find a way to cut magnets, lets us know. It's basically impossible to do.
This is not meant as a wiseassed question, but if you can't cut them, how do they manufacture them???
Gandalf the Intonationer
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

pbrommer wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:05 pm Don't sell yourself short, I have a pair of your firebird pickups ready to go into a project.
I found a seller of 1/4" diameter alnico 5 road magnets. Just have to cut them in half, as they are too long.

Maybe I need to document this, but I pale in comparison to those builders and players on this board.

Patrick
I think tone-kraft has .250" mags in various heights.
I know mojotone has them as well but I believe they only sell .600" long.

If you have the space, it might be easier to let any extra magnet hang out under the pickup.
mozz
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:50 pm
mozz wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:41 pm If you find a way to cut magnets, lets us know. It's basically impossible to do.
This is not meant as a wiseassed question, but if you can't cut them, how do they manufacture them???

I know. My remark was not meant as a wiseassed answer either. As i understand, they are forged or molded with the molten mixture? I guess if you have diamond cutting blades it is possible. I'm cheap and can only afford Chinese diamond cutting blades which are made from something other than diamonds. Maybe they make a very long magnet rod and cut it to pieces, then remelt all the dust or chips and reuse it? I don't really know.
I'm 99% sure you just can't take a dremel or a grinding wheel and make then shorter. I guess cutting a bevel is possible as i just remembered i bought some beveled ones.
AGF refugee
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:51 pm

I know. My remark was not meant as a wiseassed answer either. As i understand, they are forged or molded with the molten mixture? I guess if you have diamond cutting blades it is possible. I'm cheap and can only afford Chinese diamond cutting blades which are made from something other than diamonds. Maybe they make a very long magnet rod and cut it to pieces, then remelt all the dust or chips and reuse it? I don't really know.
I'm 99% sure you just can't take a dremel or a grinding wheel and make then shorter. I guess cutting a bevel is possible as i just remembered i bought some beveled ones.
Yes, I believe they cast. Poured from a molten state into a sand mold.

I've cut bar magnets a few times but never a rod magnet. I suppose you could put one in a drill chuck and just let it spin and grind away at it with a stone or concrete but not sure how well that would work and how long it would take.
I do a bevel on my own rod magnets occasionally with a grinding wheel but it would certainly take a long time to grind away a certain amount of length from them.
pbrommer
Reactions:

I guess I made this super hard? Well, dang. I guess the cut in half with a thin hacksaw will fail. Dangnabbit - need to do my research. I'm such a dummy sometimes.

I think I have the space, so I might just leave these alone and order 6 more instead. I think (key word THINK) there's space in that body to make it work.

I reworked the bobbin to be a bit smoother when printing. I'm just hoping this will work. I'll get them up and printed soon: work all of a sudden got a bit busier. Oh well.

Patrick

PS Sometimes, I are dumb.
andrewsrea
Reactions:

The factory cutters look like diamond-encrusted circular saw blades (like a modified tile blade), in a rig that holds the rod and shoots cold water on the blade as it cuts.

@pbrommer : cutting these magnets will expose them to heat and shock, which will likely demagnetize them if they are pre-magnetized. Good news is they can be re-magnetized. i would suggest you plan on the re-magnetizing step.
pbrommer
Reactions:

Not going to cut these magnets! I do have space in the body for them, and the 1" magnets don't protrude as far out as I thought.

Bobbins will be going out this week. You guys are all awesome.
mozz
Reactions:

I personally don't have any 44awg so mine will be wound with 42, 42.5, or 43. 1" seems long for a magnet.
AGF refugee
pbrommer
Reactions:

It does, but once it goes in the toaster body housing, they only stand out about .25" from the bottom plate. This is a weird one I need to have fun documenting. :)
mozz
Reactions:

I have some 5/8" A5 magnets that are .250" dia. I would rather wind it with those. With the 1" magnets i have no idea what it's gonna do.
AGF refugee
andrewsrea
Reactions:

@mozz and @Buddha Pickups , do you know if we are winding these to Toaster specs? Pat never answered my PM on what he was looking for.
mozz
Reactions:

It's a Ric copy so I would assume toaster specs. There's a whole world of Ric fanatics on these pickups depending on year. Some claim they only used 44awg on everything but some have said and measured otherwise. Magnet length is a whole other subject. The supplied 1" magnets to me won't sound like a toaster if I go with accepted turns, hence why I asked if I could put in shorter mags.
AGF refugee
andrewsrea
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:20 pm It's a Ric copy so I would assume toaster specs. There's a whole world of Ric fanatics on these pickups depending on year. Some claim they only used 44awg on everything but some have said and measured otherwise. Magnet length is a whole other subject. The supplied 1" magnets to me won't sound like a toaster if I go with accepted turns, hence why I asked if I could put in shorter mags.
I only received a bobbin - no mags.
mozz
Reactions:

If you want the 1" mags he gave me I'll mail them out, or if you want some 5/8" A5 I have those too. I'm going to use awg43 because I have no 44. Still waiting for a reply to my message from him. Pretty sure he was busy at work.
AGF refugee
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:13 am @mozz and @Buddha Pickups , do you know if we are winding these to Toaster specs? Pat never answered my PM on what he was looking for.
He requested ~7k so depending on the bobbin size that would be roughly 5500-6000 turns of 44. Not sure yet if I'll stick to 44 or try something thicker to fill up the bobbin more.
I assume maybe we should all try something different so he has some options?
andrewsrea
Reactions:

Buddha Pickups wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:27 pm
andrewsrea wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:13 am @mozz and @Buddha Pickups , do you know if we are winding these to Toaster specs? Pat never answered my PM on what he was looking for.
He requested ~7k so depending on the bobbin size that would be roughly 5500-6000 turns of 44. Not sure yet if I'll stick to 44 or try something thicker to fill up the bobbin more.
I assume maybe we should all try something different so he has some options?
@Buddha Pickups & @mozz Thanks!

I was going to use 43ga to achieve 7K, wound clockwise (top of the bobbin facing the spindle plate, with the winder spinning CCW). No wax potting.

I was going to use 42ga, but thought the inductance / resonant frequency would go way high with 1" magnets in such close proximity. I did not choose 44ga, because it is a PITA (Lol) and at 7K might be too dark.
andrewsrea
Reactions:

@Buddha Pickups & @mozz :

Mine came out around 7K @7500 turns, 72 degrees F.

I finished it with my own braided lead: start = hot, finish = ground. The one Patrick provided for me had shorts.
AMI Toaster.jpg