Slowhand's Bass Odyssey! (NBD, Fail, 2nd NBD!)

Discussions about all things "Bass".
slowhand84
Reactions:

Since [mention]dabbler[/mention] made the first one happen, finally...a 2nd thread for the bass section! This shall be a post of fails, wins, highs, lows, laughs, etc.

So the other week I decided I wanted to have a decent bass around the house because I've been doing more and more recording...so I set out to hunt for something with a max budget of about $500ish. I came across this beautiful Ibanez ATK500 Koa and grabbed it. Great condition, no case but that never bothers me when the price is right.

Then, it arrives...here's the box:

So automatically I get the camera ready because I know what's waiting for me in that box. And sure enough, there it is :roll:

RIP to this beautiful bass that was made in Japan for only one year in 1996 (aka, not something you can easily just find again). Bummer.

This was shipped wrapped in a SINGLE layer of bubble wrap, and the bubble wrap was not even taped on the front sides or bottom. They literally just put in a small piece of bubble wrap, then the bass wrapped in one single layer of it untaped and unsealed, and then boxed it up. And that was before UPS played the 2020 World Cup with it. Yikes and double yikes.

GC so far has been cool about it - they sent UPS to my house the next day to pick it up for the return with a prepaid label. It's already been delivered back to GC so I should have a refund in the next couple of days (or maybe a bit more, with the Covid craziness going on).

Back on the hunt I went, and this time came across this Tagima TW73 Woodstock Series Bass. This is a Brazilian company but their cheaper (aka $400ish and less) stuff is MIC. These are about $300 new, after a GC rewards certificate I had I ended up paying just over $100 shipped for it. Arrived today packed flawlessly (THANK YOU to this 2nd GC for giving a damn!), and I also found the previous owner upgraded with a cool metal-tooled pickguard.

The quality of the bass I would say lines up nicely with a Fender MIM...nice tight neck pocket, fretwork is great across the board, and the bass plays well with nice low action. I wasn't able to play the Ibanez so I can't offer a direct comparison, but I can say that I am VERY happy with this for the price and I think this is a brand to really be on the lookout for. They have lots of other models including guitars (Jazzmaster style, etc) and if the quality of this is any indication I wouldn't hesitate to grab one for a good price.

Here are the pics, and luckily all's well that ends well!

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
Jaymo
Reactions:
Gearlist: SX Liquid. SX Hawk. Sawtooth Tele. Ibanez GAX70L. SX Callisto STD+. Ibanez miKro bass. Jay Turser Pbass. Carvin LB70L.

That Ibanez headstock has some serious Gibson authenticity.
fullonshred
Reactions:

Beautiful Bass, Beautiful pictures. Very pretty throw. Sorry about the mishap with the first one.
slowhand84
Reactions:

fullonshred wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:35 pm Beautiful Bass, Beautiful pictures. Very pretty throw. Sorry about the mishap with the first one.
Honestly it's for the best. For less than 1/5th of the Ibanez I got a bass that perfectly does everything I need to, plays great, AND has the added bonus of an intact headstock :).
dabbler
Reactions:

Ouch! ATKs are nice instruments. Sorry yours experienced travelling difficulties. :(
IMGP1628 - Edited.jpg
RiverDog
Reactions:

Very nice-looking bass. I've been on the hunt for an affordable bass. I'll have to check those out.
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
"Perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break."
Open G
Reactions:

I remember reading that the dumpster behind GC stores is a good place to find free instrument parts.
slowhand84
Reactions:

Open G wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:51 am I remember reading that the dumpster behind GC stores is a good place to find free instrument parts.
I'd be surprised if they threw this one out, they'd probably just have their tech halfassedly fix it and put it back up for sale :lol:
zisme
Reactions:

breaks my heart to see what happened to the ibby :(

but the tagima is purty!
frogs love to eat flies,
the devil's name, Beelzebub, lord of the flies
evil spirits love to spiritually feed upon those whom Beelzebub rules

joined AGF March 20, 2013
slowhand84
Reactions:

zisme wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:16 pm breaks my heart to see what happened to the ibby :(

but the tagima is purty!
I'm actually glad it went down this way, I really have no business spending like $500 on a bass I'm just going to use for light recording here and there. The combo of MIJ and Koa made me pull the trigger on it but I'm super psyched to have this Tagima instead :)