Electrical "Pop/Crackle" on D String

Discussions about all things "Bass".
jhull54
Reactions:

Thought I'd post this in the bass forum to pick some brains.

Yesterday while playing in a P&W setting, my P bass knockoff had occasional pops here and there that sounded like electrical/contact popping. Weird thing is that it *appears* to only happen on the D string. I'm seldom on the G, so couldn't tell if it happened while hitting that string, but I didn't notice the phenomenon when playing E or A string.

I am going tuner pedal-->compressor-->DI to PA. Don't have the issue when I play my J bass through the same circuit.

I'm wondering if something may be going on with the pickup itself. I wired it in with my limited ability and who knows how well that worked, but wanted to get any feedback you guys have.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

jhull54 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:04 am Yesterday while playing in a P&W setting, my P bass knockoff had occasional pops here and there that sounded like electrical/contact popping. Weird thing is that it *appears* to only happen on the D string.

I'm wondering if something may be going on with the pickup itself. I wired it in with my limited ability and who knows how well that worked, but wanted to get any feedback you guys have.
Does it occur on specific notes? Are they high output pickups?
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
toomanycats
Reactions:

Is your plucking hand inadvertently pressing down on the D string and making it contact the pickup pole? That will make a sharp popping noise that is hard to identify if you're not aware of how it's happening.

I can't think of any strictly electrical malfunction that effects the entire circuit which would only make notes "pop/crackle" on a specific string.

If it was a frequency dependent thing, then it seems that it would occur when the same notes were played on other strings as well.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

toomanycats wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:35 am Is your plucking hand inadvertently pressing down on the D string and making it contact the pickup pole? That will make a sharp popping noise that is hard to identify if you're not aware of how it's happening.

I can't think of any strictly electrical malfunction that effects the entire circuit which would only make notes "pop/crackle" on a specific string.

If it was a frequency dependent thing, then it seems that it would occur when the same notes were played on other strings as well.
The pickup height was one thing that crossed my mind not only for contact,but overdriving the amp input on transients. Other things I've encountered in the frequency / string related crackles:
- Bridge saddle or nut defect.
- Cracked volume or tone pot resistive track (especially those with rivets which connect the lugs. A particular note can vibrate the crack or a particular strong signal can create arcing.
- Bad series connection between the two half's of a P-bass split humbucking pickup (your proximity theory plays here).
- Bad ground connection (weal solder joint) getting rattled at a particular frequency.
- Amp speaker defect. I've heard many speakers that rattle when you hit a particular resonance.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
jhull54
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:14 pm Does it occur on specific notes? Are they high output pickups?
Not sure about specific notes, but I don't think so. It appears random. Passive pups.
jhull54
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:35 am Is your plucking hand inadvertently pressing down on the D string and making it contact the pickup pole?
That is actually the first thing I thought of, as well. Nope it's not that.
jhull54
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:45 am The pickup height was one thing that crossed my mind not only for contact,but overdriving the amp input on transients. Other things I've encountered in the frequency / string related crackles:
- Bad series connection between the two half's of a P-bass split humbucking pickup (your proximity theory plays here).
- Bad ground connection (weal solder joint) getting rattled at a particular frequency.
- Amp speaker defect. I've heard many speakers that rattle when you hit a particular resonance.
I'm beginning to think it's wiring/bad solder/connection related. This pickup is a cheapie import ALNICO 5 that I got off the internet somewhere, and I think I was getting the crackle when I dug in a little bit on the D, IIRC. I'm wondering if it's happening due to a sympathetic vibration.

I played the J yesterday in the same circuit to see if I could reproduce the problem, and didn't have any issues. It's weird. I think the first thing I'm going to do is reflow the solder joints on the pots, jack, and pup connections and see what happens. This bass is probably 25-30 years old (Goodwill special) and who knows what kind of shape the joints are in. I patched in the pickup to existing wiring, and may just have a cold/loose joint.

Thanks to you guys for the brain dump!
jhull54
Reactions:

Alright, I think I figured this issue out. Yesterday I received a wiring kit and rewired the whole thing, and added a high mass bridge--more to try to balance the guitar a bit more.

After wiring it up and restringing, I noticed the popping sound a couple of times when tuning. It turns out that when reaching for the D string (I play with fingers top down) the heel of my plucking hand was pressing E down to the pickup magnet very lightly a couple of times. I'm pretty sure that was the issue. You guys nailed it. So I'm going to adjust the pickup height and see if I can improve my technique!
Mr. Leyvatone
Reactions:
Gearlist: 5 Agiles, 5 SX, assorted other guitars and gear.

Yeah, you nailed it. I’m a longtime guitarist who is playing significant amounts of bass for the first time.

I was doing the same thing as you.

As we know, any decent guitarist thinks they can play bass. While we might know which notes to play, it takes a lot of familiarity with the dynamics of a bass to play it well.
jhull54
Reactions:

Mr. Leyvatone wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:05 pm As we know, any decent guitarist thinks they can play bass. While we might know which notes to play, it takes a lot of familiarity with the dynamics of a bass to play it well.
So true! It's a totally different instrument and you really can't play it the same way as guitar.

I read somewhere that "Bass isn't a difficult instrument to play, but it is a difficult instrument to play WELL." If your timekeeping and groove isn't there, and you miss notes--it's very noticeable.
Mr. Leyvatone
Reactions:
Gearlist: 5 Agiles, 5 SX, assorted other guitars and gear.

[/quote]

So true! It's a totally different instrument and you really can't play it the same way as guitar.

I read somewhere that "Bass isn't a difficult instrument to play, but it is a difficult instrument to play WELL." If your timekeeping and groove isn't there, and you miss notes--it's very noticeable.
[/quote]

Exactly! I have to change my mentality a lot; instead of thinking how to play something impressive, I just focus on playing accurately and in the pocket. And I am surprised...I had always thought that playing bass would be kinda boring and tedious, but I am really enjoying it.
Partscaster
Reactions:

There are pickup/string covers for bass too, that might make a hand rest or at least protect pickups from hand pressure.
Early Roger Water's comes to mind.
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (9.69 KiB) Viewed 840 times
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."