SX Ursa--Dropped in SD Quarter Pounds

Discussions about all things "Bass".
jhull54
Reactions:

Have had this bass for about 10 years, but have been playing it weekly in a P&W setting, and although I liked the sound of the "upgraded" pups that Rondo put in this model, I was not totally happy with the output from the bridge specifically, and was hoping to get a bit more oomph from both.

I actually got a good deal on some QP's from a guy on Mercari (of all places) and they made a noticeable difference in the output on the bridge pup, and the sound I'm now getting at the first through third frets.

Pretty happy with them, but the originals are not bad at all.

And just FYI--the SD's are straight drop in's and no mods were needed.

Here's a couple photos of originals and upgrade.

ImageImageImageImage
Partscaster
Reactions:

I did just that with a short scale and QP's. After listening to friends SX short scale, still with original pups, I went back to stock pups. Perhaps I didnt try the QP's long enough to dial them in. I'm not a bass player much. I thought the originals had a clarity I lost in th QP's. But the QPs were punchier, thicker.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
jhull54
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:51 am I did just that with a short scale and QP's. After listening to friends SX short scale, still with original pups, I went back to stock pups. Perhaps I didnt try the QP's long enough to dial them in. I'm not a bass player much. I thought the originals had a clarity I lost in th QP's. But the QPs were punchier, thicker.
I'd love to get a short scale bass. I actually started playing bass before I ever tried guitar, and my first bass was a short scale Jazz copy from Sears with a sunburst pretty identical to the one above. It's long gone now, though.

Playing those QP's last Sunday--yeah, they are definitely thicker. Less of a "classic" bass tone maybe. I like them, but I think I'll need to work on dialing them in a bit. I did like the improvement from the bridge. It's noticeably beefier and not as trebly/clanky, and has more output. But yeah--the originals weren't bad at all.