Cheap 15" bass combo score

Discussions about all things "Bass".
honyock
Reactions:

Finally a halfway decent score from ShopGoodwill.

Paid less than half of what the cheapest ones seem to be going for at Guitar Center. It was dirty, the grille needs new velcro to replace the 3M plastic hook and loop type connectors that were too stiff to press together standing on them on a concrete floor with work boots on.

The grille cloth support is cracked, but I will eventually remove the cloth and use some wood glue to repair it since I don't have a piece of MDF large enough and it would be stupid expensive to buy something that size to cut most of it away.

It works flawlessly so now I need to sell my cheap 1x12 Peavey bass amp that got kicked out of the office.

It is very basic, but the 15" has a lot more oomph than the 1x15 Ampeg I used to have. I think the big closed back cab with the front firing port probably is the reason.

It is a tank and almost as old as I am, yet is working a lot better ;)
20220410_212956.jpg
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
Partscaster
Reactions:

Nice. How would a single coil guitar sound through that thang?
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
mozz
Reactions:

My friend at work plays his strats thru a few different fender rumbles and it sounds good.
AGF refugee
honyock
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:31 am Nice. How would a single coil guitar sound through that thang?
It is pretty darn good to downright impressive.

The frequency knob is very interesting, from just over 6 to just under 8 it goes from a cocked way sound to a regular guitar signal. Too much lower and it just gets too muffled.

It reminds me a bit of something of a John Mayer tone.
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

Nice score dude seems like all those old Fender amps just sounded awesome.
jhull54
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:38 am Finally a halfway decent score from ShopGoodwill.
See there? :)

Great score!
honyock
Reactions:

redman wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:17 pm Nice score dude seems like all those old Fender amps just sounded awesome.
After I picked it up and was a bit shocked how good it sounds with a strat through it, I was reading the Japanese Sidekicks had some design input from Paul Rivera, but I have a feeling people are using his name to try to make them worth more on the used market more than anything.

I am just happy it works, and I am surprised how well everything functions to be honest. Worst case it mades a really nice bottom to my stack of cheap amps. Fender did a nice job building these things, rugged quality and with decent components it seem.

Reminds me a little of my Marshall AVT20 in how they built a really solid quality amp that is perhaps underappreciated.