NBD! Epiphone Thunderbird Vintage Pro

Discussions about all things "Bass".
glasshand
Reactions:

I've had the IV for a while, but I got the chance to upgrade to the Vintage Pro. It's interesting to see the variety of little changes aside from the obvious ones (for example, notice that the shape of the upper bout "shoulder" is slightly different). The IV is a really good bass, especially for the money, but there's no question that the VP feels like a more expensive instrument.
thunderbird_twins.jpg
Sinster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Many Les Pauls, Couple of Tele's and Strats, a PRS, a EVH Woflgang, a Bass, and Epi Acoustic. Egnater Rebel 20, Tubemeister 18.

Happy NBD!
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Happy NBD!

How is the neck dive on those? I have a friend who was telling me he really misses the 70's Gibson Thunderbird he had, but said the neck dive was something you needed to manage when owning one.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
glasshand
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:27 am Happy NBD!

How is the neck dive on those? I have a friend who was telling me he really misses the 70's Gibson Thunderbird he had, but said the neck dive was something you needed to manage when owning one.
There is very slight neck dive, but nothing terrible - my old SG was worse. The main thing is that the strap pin really needs to be at the neck heel, where dive is minimal, not the upper bout, where it's pretty bad. It looks like the pin used to be at the upper bout, but they have since fixed that. Don't ask me exactly when they made that change - my Epi Thunderbird IV had the pin on the bout, as you can see in the photo, but I think they changed it later on that model too. The dive on the IV was moderately bad until I put a Well-Hung Pro-Pin at the neck plate, and that solved it.