NBD - American Standard Precision Bass

Discussions about all things "Bass".
voodoorat
Reactions:

(and a Frankenbass)

I jumped on a deal a few weeks ago and snagged an American Deluxe Fretless Jazz. I liked it but I'm much more practiced at guitar than at bass and while the fretless was fun I had trouble playing it in company--in part because it was just harder to get my fingers in position on more complicated parts and in part just because it was hard to read a tab sheet or the lyrics and play at the same time because I needed to glance at the neck for positioning.

Anyway, a MiA precision showed up in the local market and I offered the jazz in a trade and surprisingly the guy took me up on it. He's a cool guy, plays in a prog brand.

Anyway, here it is. Like it a lot, neck feels a touch thicker than the MiM precision I got not long before (and whose neck I had to un-fuck by strapping it to a torture rack for a week or so), but not uncomfortable. I did have to add some knobs and I swapped the guard out with the one from the MiM bass because I've never really liked tortoiseshell that much--don't hate it but it always seems like the 3rd or 4th best choice.
image.png
Here's the MiM post-rack:
image.png
So after I got the MiM and noticed the problem with the neck (very bowed and maybe slightly twisted even with the truss maxed out) I started looking for a replacement neck on it and found a really nice special run jazz neck w/ tuners on the local market so I bought that as "plan b" while I strapped the original neck to the torture rack. It worked great, neck feels great, but once I'd un-warped the original neck and made the MiM precision whole I wasn't sure what to do with the jazz neck. Kinda wanted to keep it in case the p bass neck warped again and also just because it was a pretty nice neck.

Anyway, a guy had a loaded unknown-origin jazz-style body which I hoped would work for the neck. Wound up getting that--it took some doing to get the neck on there, had to route out the neck pocket some and use a shim, but in the end got it playable with the FSR jazz neck and it feels great and sounds pretty good, so have a serviceable jazz-ish alongside the precisions.

Here's the frankenbass:
image.png
toomanycats
Reactions:

Congrats! That's a classy looking trio of basses you have there.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

HNBD!

Two great basses! Rickenbackers 4002's are my all-time favorite, too but expensive for me. I have a highly worked Squier Jazz that is perfect for me.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Mossman
Reactions:

Very cool... Sounds like one of my (many) neck-swapping adventures. :)
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO