Recommend me a tuner pedal

glasshand
Reactions:

I've been considering a tuner pedal. Anybody got one they particularly like (or dislike)?
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I have tried many, cheap, expensive, etc. The one on my board now and the most over the years is the Boss.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
toomanycats
Reactions:

What he said. ⬆

boss_tu_3_chromatic_tuner_pwr_supply_pcs_20a_1174221.jpg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Chocol8
Reactions:

Best one I have used is the Turbotuner, either mini or fs. They are easy to see, super fast to use, and super accurate. Also solid as a rock and reliable. There is nothing where I think any other tuner beats it, let alone beats it. The Peterson strobostomp is an OK second place option, but why?

Boss gets the job done, but does nothing better than the Turbotuner except you can get one locally if you are really impatient.
dabbler
Reactions:

TC Electronic Polytune

Easy and fast. Lets you strum and check all strings at once and see which one(s) are out and quickly tune, OR simply tune one string at a time by picking only one string. Both options are available just by clicking it on.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Steer clear of the EHX 2020. It is a little sharp.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I like threads like this because I learn about gear I did not know about. I had one of those TCE Polytune tuners that you could strum and determine which string was out. It was pretty handy but I was so used to checking each string that I never could get used to the feature.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
mozz
Reactions:

I have the polytune clip on, threw away anything with the name snark. Even though I have a boss tuner, I would likely buy a polytune pedal if I needed one.
AGF refugee
Mr. Leyvatone
Reactions:
Gearlist: 5 Agiles, 5 SX, assorted other guitars and gear.

+1 for Polytune

I have a few cheap Donner tuners. They work, but their performance tends to make me have to fiddle more to land in tune. Spending $90-ish for a good one is worth it.

On the topic of tuning:
I’ve recently been setting up my guitars so that they are in tune (or as close a compromise as possible) at every fret, not just the open notes.

Kinda like setting intonation, but going a bit further. Essentially what should result from any good, full setup.

Just gotta say…what an improvement over just tuning the open strings and thinking I’m all good.
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

I don't use a pedal tuner any more when I did I used a Boss TU-3. I now use a Peterson StroboClip it's a very accurate headstock clip on style and if you are not dead set on a pedal style this is a good alternative.
E9gPoJQ[1].jpg
tonebender
Reactions:

Interesting, I have a couple Snarks for my acoustics and they are sort of Walmartish. I may try a Peterson or TC Electronics. I have never used one on an electric guitar as a routine.
glasshand
Reactions:

I have a Snark, and I feel that they're the only clip-on tuners worth bothering with, but I don't find them as easy to use as I would like on a dark and noisy stage. I've also had some reliability issues with them - I got one of the rechargeable ones, and it up and died pretty quickly.
backinit
Reactions:

I have a pitchblack advanced....it does what I need. I'm really thinking about a NUX Flow Tune for a small board since MF has them on sale for BF.
glasshand
Reactions:

Thanks again to everyone for their advice! I found a TU-3 in very good condition for sale near me on FB, and picked it up today. (And it came with a 1 Spot adapter thrown into the deal and was still a very decent price!)
PXL_20231202_204828749.PORTRAIT.jpg