Trio + owners : Query

Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

This goes out to the Digitech Trio + owners. I am wondering how much use it gets after you've owned it for some time. I imagine getting it and spending lots of time initially but I can see the prospect of it sitting around collecting dust in time also. Looking for real experiences as it's about $350 bucks here and perhaps I'd spend the money on getting a nicer guitar is one thought.
Milkman
Reactions:

I have a friend who has one…. It hasn’t been used in AT LEAST 2 years. He never really got super comfy using it.
"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

I have a group (original) and a foot switch that I never use anymore. Free to you if you use it.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

tlarson58 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:17 am I have a group (original) and a foot switch that I never use anymore. Free to you if you use it.
Thanks...but my instincts are telling me to spend the money on a guitar instead as I'd likely not use it either. Find someone else here who would benefit domestically as I'm overseas. But appreciate the offer.

My next question is do I really need a Vox AC151C as a bedroom amp...I'm sure the neighbors will adore me even more than they do now
toomanycats
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:06 am
tlarson58 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:17 am I have a group (original) and a foot switch that I never use anymore. Free to you if you use it.
My next question is do I really need a Vox AC151C as a bedroom amp...I'm sure the neighbors will adore me even more than they do now
You'll never use the full power of the AC15 in the bedroom. Unless a major selling point is the onboard tremolo, I'd go with the AC4 instead. I have one and it's a fantastic low watt tube amp with a 12" speaker that gives it a lot of thump.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:33 am
Tonray's Ghost wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:06 am
You'll never use the full power of the AC15 in the bedroom. Unless a major selling point is the onboard tremolo, I'd go with the AC4 instead. I have one and it's a fantastic low watt tube amp with a 12" speaker that gives it a lot of thump.
Thanks...I needed to be talked down from the ledge...although...that Tremolo is mighty tempting. :twisted:
BrianSkeezer
Reactions:

Mine doesn't get the play it deserves either. I use it as a songwriting tool, and haven't had much time for that. I also mainly use a Spark amp for most of my playing lately, which doesn't work very well with the Trio because of the modeling. That being said, I still enjoy it and it's the easiest going band members to work with..
jtcnj
Reactions:

I had the regular Trio. I never really got the hang of it and recently sold it.
I think it would be really useful for those who know how to really utilize it.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
Partscaster
Reactions:

I dont use mine.
NUX Drum and Looper might seem better.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

I have a Trio and an AC15C1. The Trio almost never gets used, I think because it sounds like a better idea than the reality of it. The AC15 is an awesome amp I use a lot, but I don't know about calling it a bedroom amp. It can get pretty loud just chasing the right tones. Despite that, it's my favorite amp, and it gets recorded more than my others.
bleys21
Reactions:

Same here. I have had a hard time adjusting to how the Trio+ wants to work. Best advice I saw online was to "teach" the Trio what you want to do by playing the bass notes (or root notes) rather than playing chords as shown in the manual. This does help. Also, on the Trio+, its advisable to put it in Simple Bass mode when recording your parts. The "normal" Bass mode is rather, uh, energetic :-)

Oh, one last thing: trying to figure out how to connect the stupid thing is the worst part because you don't want your drums and bass being modified by any effects, so you usually have to route it in a way that avoids that. On the Kemper, its kind of a pain in the ass to get this working right. Definitely check for examples on the internet of how to connect to your existing amp/modeler before you decide to purchase.
mozz
Reactions:

Did the group purchase here back when. Now collecting dust, but i did move it recently so it is on my bench, trying to tell myself "hook this sucka up". Yeah definitely need that bass upgrade, you may call it "energetic" i call it "all over the friggin fretboard bass player"
AGF refugee
RayStankewitz
Reactions:

Well, it's been more than a year since the last post but I wanted to confess to buying a Trio+. I've had it a few months and somehow regret buying it. I printed out the manual and watched too many tutorials on YooToob, to the point I've become disgusted with it. Even watching a tutorial and following along, my results are far from what the d00d in the tutorial came up with.
Most of my issues are with the need for two amps, since for some reason my AUX input on my Line6 Spider III 120 doesn't work. Now I'm troubleshooting that bit of annoyance.
"Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?"
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

RayStankewitz wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:27 am Well, it's been more than a year since the last post but I wanted to confess to buying a Trio+. I've had it a few months and somehow regret buying it. I printed out the manual and watched too many tutorials on YooToob, to the point I've become disgusted with it. Even watching a tutorial and following along, my results are far from what the d00d in the tutorial came up with.
Most of my issues are with the need for two amps, since for some reason my AUX input on my Line6 Spider III 120 doesn't work. Now I'm troubleshooting that bit of annoyance.
Thanks for the update...I decided against it as I rarely even use my built in looper and drums together from my multi-function pedal anyway. I have just learned to enjoy playing some basic rhythm patterns and alternating between that and lead..but I do use the looper sometimes if I'm motivated to dig in
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I had one and several years ago and messed with it initially. I just could not seem to make it my thing. I finally put it back in the box and got rid of it during the sell off. I just prefer real musicians I suppose. I thought I may like a looper for an acoustic act but I do not like that either. Just me the guitar and a mic is all I can handle. I am an analog man.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
RayStankewitz
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:11 am I had one and several years ago and messed with it initially. I just could not seem to make it my thing. I finally put it back in the box and got rid of it during the sell off. I just prefer real musicians I suppose. I thought I may like a looper for an acoustic act but I do not like that either. Just me the guitar and a mic is all I can handle. I am an analog man.
I suppose that I may be a more or less analog d00d myself. I mean, I've set up some basic presets on my Spider III 120 but that's it, really. I think I was turned off to digital modeling amps when Fender kicked all the Fender Mustang amps and Fuse users to the curb with no warning per se in favor of their much maligned GT series. Still looking for a Mustang V head and cab in good shape, since I can use Remuda to control the Mustang amp.
"Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?"
Partscaster
Reactions:

Ray, I too have got a Trio +....on the dusty shelve next to my regular Trio.
Its like I am the guy who is "born every day".
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."