Not Originally for Bass, but...

MadJack
Reactions:
Gearlist: Guitars: Agile, Douglas, SX, Epiphone, Squier, Danelectro, FireFly, Donner
Amps: MadJack, Vox, Fender, Orange, Monoprice/StageRight, Supro, Gibson

As you may have seen in my other posts, I recently got (back) into bass. I got the Donner DPB-510 P-Bass copy and an Ashdown Studio 8 for a really good deal, just before the prices jumped up , TWICE! (MF was $164.99, I got it on sale for $99.99 then went to $199.99 and two weeks later $219.99! :shock: )

The amp sounds fantastic! Full and warm, but it's a very basic amp. No effects. For the first few days, I had to work hard on consistent playing levels. Even at my best, it was difficult to stay in the groove volume and dynamics wise. I needed a compressor for better consistency.

I had a BBE Bench Press that not being used one of my guitar boards. The Bench Press is a vintage compressor pedal that was designed after the discontinued Ross compressor. I hooked it up between my bass guitar and amp and started adjusting it. I found delaying the attack and mid level threshold and output, it works great. With adjusting the output, I can go from a wonderfully warm clean tone to mildly to moderately overdriven amp tones. This pedal went from hardly ever being used to being used quite often with my bass setup.

I was still wanting a mild to moderate overdrive, but didn't have a whole lot of money for a decent Preamp/OD/DI. I did a bit of research and kept coming across the TC Electronic MojoMojo Overdrive as a good, inexpensive overdrive that works well with bass. I came across a really good deal on a used one, so I figured I'd give it a try. It arrived today and I went to playing around with it right away. I started with all the controls straight up. It was loud and dirty! After a little playing around, I was able to go from the mild overdrive I was after, all the way up to a heavily overdriven synth bass tone. It doesn't quite hit the fuzz tone, but it does get pretty heavy. It's not the best OD I've heard from a pedal, but it is really good. For a sub $40 (used) pedal, I'm quite happy with it.

P1030393.JPG
MadJack is back!
Mossman
Reactions:

MadJack wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:29 pm As you may have seen in my other posts, I recently got (back) into bass. I got the Donner DPB-510 P-Bass copy and an Ashdown Studio 8 for a really good deal, just before the prices jumped up , TWICE! (MF was $164.99, I got it on sale for $99.99 then went to $199.99 and two weeks later $219.99! :shock: )

The amp sounds fantastic! Full and warm, but it's a very basic amp. No effects. For the first few days, I had to work hard on consistent playing levels. Even at my best, it was difficult to stay in the groove volume and dynamics wise. I needed a compressor for better consistency.

I had a BBE Bench Press that not being used one of my guitar boards. The Bench Press is a vintage compressor pedal that was designed after the discontinued Ross compressor. I hooked it up between my bass guitar and amp and started adjusting it. I found delaying the attack and mid level threshold and output, it works great. With adjusting the output, I can go from a wonderfully warm clean tone to mildly to moderately overdriven amp tones. This pedal went from hardly ever being used to being used quite often with my bass setup.

I was still wanting a mild to moderate overdrive, but didn't have a whole lot of money for a decent Preamp/OD/DI. I did a bit of research and kept coming across the TC Electronic MojoMojo Overdrive as a good, inexpensive overdrive that works well with bass. I came across a really good deal on a used one, so I figured I'd give it a try. It arrived today and I went to playing around with it right away. I started with all the controls straight up. It was loud and dirty! After a little playing around, I was able to go from the mild overdrive I was after, all the way up to a heavily overdriven synth bass tone. It doesn't quite hit the fuzz tone, but it does get pretty heavy. It's not the best OD I've heard from a pedal, but it is really good. For a sub $40 (used) pedal, I'm quite happy with it.

P1030393.JPG
For most of my bass playing career, I plugged directly into the amp. I never thought I needed a compressor, but after I learned how to use one, I haven't played bass without it.

I never met a distortion/overdrive pedal that I liked for bass, or even the built-in overdrives on amps. I usually just used compression and gain to put a little hair on it, but I bought a Fender Rumble a couple of years ago, and that amp has some really great overdrive tones. It's real musical distortion... But I've been leaving that alone since I got the SansAmp YYZ pedal. It's kinda spendy, though... Nowhere close to forty bucks. :)
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO