Zero Cap Guitar Cables?

tony1852
Reactions:

wasn't sure where to post this, but it seemed really interesting. from the video, it appears to make a big difference in tone. thoughts??

http://zerocapcable.com/
Chocol8
Reactions:

It is basically a buffer in a cable. Wouldn’t make a bit of difference to my Strats because I stick in a pre-amp circuit anyway.* You can get close by having a buffered pedal close to the guitar on a short cable if you want to see what it will sound like.

* Putting an active boost circuit on a Strat lets you get bucker level output so your different guitars can still hit the amps or pedals at the same levels, but you can also do unity gain buffers onboard.
mozz
Reactions:

20 feet $109.95

Yes i want ice pick, please send me more. I want to kill all my friends hearing now! I want a good model for use with my MARSHALL 200W PIG.
AGF refugee
tony1852
Reactions:

do i sense sarcasm, mozz??? for those that are less knowledgeable than you, why do you think this cable is a bad idea-besides the cost of course.
mickey
Reactions:

tony1852 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:43 pm do i sense sarcasm, mozz??? for those that are less knowledgeable than you, why do you think this cable is a bad idea-besides the cost of course.
Yes, you sense sarcasm.
Spend your money.
Mozz & others who understand electronics will laugh.
Because they are looking for customers who have no clue.
Gandalf the Intonationer
mozz
Reactions:

Yeah some sarcasm, but i'm a somewhat wise ass anyway. Low capacitance cables are nice, but, usually that low capacitance means a quality cable but it doesn't mean NO capacitance. I would think most stock strat bridge pickups would hurt your ears with it.15-20 ft i think is normal for a small stage or practice.

He says your tone control is now going to make a bigger difference, i hope so. Say a quality cable is 600pf-1200 capacitance. Your tone control is 22,000pf, a lot bigger difference there. I've wound strat pickups, placed in a squier with updated pots, caps, switch, all of a sudden my tone control was making a bigger difference than it ever did before. Cheap ceramic machine wound factory pickups didn't really respond to new full size pots and quality caps, but the handwound one did in a big way.

If you bought a 20ft reverb CME cable and a 20ft/$100 top quality cable, 90% of the people couldn't hear any difference going direct into a amp. You put both of them through most pedals/tuners, pedal boards, you've added a buffer in there, even when the pedal is turned off. That number would go even higher to 95-97% would not hear any difference. A buffer lowers your output impedance which means you can drive a lot longer cable and you still retain all your high frequencies.

That being said, you might not hear anything, other people can tell if you use energizers or duracells in your pedals.

Chances are he is buying aftermarket quality cable or a dual conductor/dual shield wire that has lower than normal capacitance. I see nothing about quality connectors on the ends.

"You’ll notice that the volume control no longer kills the high frequencies in your guitar’s tone. Previously, the resistance of the volume control conspired with the cable capacitance to ruin your tone at lower volumes."

That alone is bullshit. Your volume control is in parallel with the pickup. That never changes. 250k 500k, take your pick. That dampens the resonance peak. Your output is taken from the wiper of the pot, so no matter where you set the volume, the load on the pickup doesn't change.
Your ear changes, lower volume you lose highs, fletcher munson curves. Your cable will smoothly cut some highs but it's part of the guitar sound and it's a slow curve. Take that all away and you are going to have ice pick sounds.
AGF refugee