Please Share Your Opinion Of The Celestion G12M Chinese Greenback

toomanycats
Reactions:

I'm asking because I just ordered a G12M from Sweetwater after being sent an email alert that the 16 ohm model is back in stock. Its intended home is my Blackstar Studio 10 6L6, which came with the ubiquitous Celestion 70/80 speaker. The Blackstar already sounds really good, but I'm suspecting that the stock budget speaker may be holding the amp back from it's full potential.

Of course I did some research before the purchase, reading quiet a bit about the MIC Greenback and watching some videos. Still, I'd like to hear any feedback from this forum. Most of what I've already come across says that the Chinese Greenback is on par with the version made in England, and many claim to actually prefer it.

g12mgreenback_zoom1_2.png
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Chocol8
Reactions:

I don’t have a lot of time with them, but my take was that they sound like a greenback. Same recipe, same ingredients, same methodology, same results.
aullucci
Reactions:

Curious about this, too.
mozz
Reactions:

Never judge a speaker until it's broken in. I've used a variac and acetone but never really did a side by side comparison.

" If you play 2-3 hours per day, with volume at 25-30w or more, it will take roughly 2-3 months to break in a new speaker. That Celestion info is wrong.

When I break in speakers here I use a variac and it takes 18-24 hours with a constant 60 cycle hum (low tones move the cone better). That replicates a bunch of stage time, takes a touch of the treble off, fattens the mids and develops the low end more.

Otherwise, you're playing for a long time at gig volume.

Back in the 60/70's, bands played 100w amps cranked through 8 12" 25/30w speakers and they could do it in a shorter time. But since you can't crank out a 100w amp (160-180w at volumes over 7-8) at will without going to jail, it takes longer.

Scumback Speakers, Mar 31, 2017"
AGF refugee
Chocol8
Reactions:

What are you basing that on? I know someone who actually tested a variety of speakers for impact to TS parameters during break-in. The measured results were exponential with most of the audible differences in the first couple of minutes, most of the rest within the first 30 minutes, and ALL within less than 2 hours.

Months to break in a normally constructed speaker is pure myth. 18 hours isn’t much better.
Partscaster
Reactions:

I would hope that the Chinese would be ironing out any shortcomings between the two models. And they've been a source for a while now. That said, I have aimed for English made Celestions, Blue and G12H Heritage.
My one greenback came in an amp.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."