Powered mixer question -- FX loop

voodoorat
Reactions:

Wasn't sure which forum this would fit into since it's not really for recording but just live performing.

Recently decided it was time to get some kind of PA system going--we have been having regular jams in my space and had a real hodge-podge of amps and gear going on which was getting kind of hard to manage (and also very hard to get any decent sound out of since location and levels were all over the place). I actually got donated a couple of crappy-but-huge old 15"/tweeter PA speakers and got a cheap powered mixer (actually got two because I'd ordered one and saw one on the local market around the same time).

I've got stuff more-or-less set up the way I want it now (although I'm still trying to figure out exactly what mechanism I want to use to hook up the powered subwoofer), but one thing is bugging me. The used powered mixer I bought on the local market had an FX send and a receive like I'm used to from guitar amps, I was able to drop a looper in there and have a lot of fun by myself between jams just fucking around on the various instruments. The new power mixer I got (it's a cheap Rockville 12 channel) just has an FX send and says to just use any channel for the FX receive, which makes sense, but when I actually try to do that with the looper the levels are whack--it's super low and if I try to bring it up enough to hear it (even with the volume on the looper all the way up) it doesn't really work. Not sure if it's the FX out being low level or what or exactly how to diagnose the problem. Other than that one thing I really like the new mixer, but I really want to solve this problem at some point.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or tips on how to troubleshoot? I doubt if it matters but the looper is a tce ditto.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Live life to the fullest! - Rob
voodoorat
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:47 pm Is it this one? https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rpm109/
Yes. I figured it out though, I had the FX turned down on the channel because I didn’t want it to apply the internal effects and that is what made the FX out level so low. I turned it up on the channels I wanted to send through the loop and it works fine. I’m pretty happy with the unit, the fans are pretty loud and it requires speakeon cable which wasnt clear from the listing, but other than that it works pretty well. Hopefully it lasts a while, not sure how reliable these things are long term.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Glad it worked out. Your solution was going to be one of my suggestions. A band I was in had the Behringer version of the same kind of amp and that is the way it worked.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob