Looking to get a Katana, some questions for those that have

tony1852
Reactions:

Ok for you Katana users, you've just about convinced me to get me one. Here's a few questions:

1. Combo or head? 50w or 100w?

2. Does anyone have the MK2? Is it worth the extra $100 ($349 new for an MK2 v. $249 for used MK1 head)?

3. Anyone use a POD HD500x as a midi controller, like this:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... y.1838955/

4. Speaker cabinets : I have a Marshall MF400 4x12 loaded with Celestion G12K-100s @ 8ohms that I used with my JSX 120w head. I also have a 4x12 with Celestion G12L-35s. Thoughts on these cabs or cabs/speakers that you use or go good with the Katana?

5. How different is a modelling amp like the Katana from a non-modelling solid state amp? Can the Katana be used with no modelling so it would behave like a traditional solid state amp?

Thanks all!
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

The Katana line of amps ARE NOT modelers and yes I own one...The Head and their 2 x 12 cab.

If you have cabs already go for the MK2 100 Watt Head. Yes its worth the extra $100 if for no other reasons than you can use it as a low volume practice amp, has more amps in it, more effects and can be used in Stereo with another one.

The Kat line INCLUDES over $1,000 of BUILT IN Boss effects.

THE definitive source on the Katana line is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/boss.katana/

13,000+ members
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
fullonshred
Reactions:

A buddy of mine bought one, the 50 watt combo. He is mostly happy with it but gets frustrated with some of the quirks including the learning curve and settings "resetting" on him at times. After watching him use his and hearing it I know I would not buy one for myself even if I was playing regularly. I need/want something less fiddly.

I know this is heresy and not what many think about it. I have listened to him play it a good bit and to me it mostly sounds ok, but not great. I like my Fender SCXD a lot more wrt sound and simplicity of use.
MattFireblade
Reactions:

There's definitely a learning curve to them and backing up your presets is for sure a must, that being said, the primary difference between the Mk 1 and Mk 2 is that there are 10 amps in the Mk 2 as opposed to the 5 in the Mk 1, as well as (I believe) more effects to choose from.

I would definitely go with the head over the combo if you have cabs already, though which you'll like better of your cabs with it will probably be preferential. I pulled the amp section out of my Katana 50 combo and am using it into my V30 loaded 212, and it's...acceptable for now. I have a new USB cable coming today (idk what happened to my old one) and I'm going to do the mod on the amp to unlock the 'hidden' amps and see what I think of some of those.
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

fullonshred wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:53 pm A buddy of mine bought one, the 50 watt combo. He is mostly happy with it but gets frustrated with some of the quirks including the learning curve and settings "resetting" on him at times. After watching him use his and hearing it I know I would not buy one for myself even if I was playing regularly. I need/want something less fiddly.

I know this is heresy and not what many think about it. I have listened to him play it a good bit and to me it mostly sounds ok, but not great. I like my Fender SCXD a lot more wrt sound and simplicity of use.
Tell your Buddy to update the amp to the latest version of Kat software. It's bullet proof. Also tell him to learn how to use the Tone Studio software.

From a "value" perspective there is not another line of amps on the planet that can touch them.

The 50 Watt is the "entry level" model and its pretty darn good.
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

fullonshred
Reactions:

LightWingStudios wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:02 pm
fullonshred wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:53 pm A buddy of mine bought one, the 50 watt combo. He is mostly happy with it but gets frustrated with some of the quirks including the learning curve and settings "resetting" on him at times. After watching him use his and hearing it I know I would not buy one for myself even if I was playing regularly. I need/want something less fiddly.

Tell your Buddy to update the amp to the latest version of Kat software. It's bullet proof. Also tell him to learn how to use the Tone Studio software.

From a "value" perspective there is not another line of amps on the planet that can touch them.

He has mentioned he needs to get it hooked up to his computer. Even if the software works flawlessly it is still to fiddly for me. I have less patience with such things than I used to.
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

fullonshred wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:16 pm
LightWingStudios wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:02 pm

He has mentioned he needs to get it hooked up to his computer. Even if the software works flawlessly it is still to fiddly for me. I have less patience with such things than I used to.
He should update to the latest version of Firmware and download Tone Studio. Out of the box it's very good as is. Of course that may depend on the style of music he plays, guitar(s) used, skills, etc. The usual variables. :)

aullucci
Reactions:

I'm curious if the USB interface works well. In all the videos I've seen, I'm not sure I've seen anyone display the sound through the USB connection. I've been looking to get an interface for a little while, and if I'm going to drop $100-150 on an interface, why not $250 on an interface that comes attached to a kick ass amp? Assuming the interface is good, of course. Also, I'm curious if you could just use the DI without the Katana? Could you, for example, run a pedal board into the Katana effect return and just get your board's tones, uncolored by the Katana? Is that possible?
Narsh
Reactions:
Gearlist: Main Guitars: Kiesel Aries 7, Kiesel SCB6H,
Main Bass: Yamaha TRBX305
Main Amps: Kemper Profiler, AxeFX II XL+, Neural DSP Parallaxe
Recording: MAC,Reaper, Focusrite 8i8 Gen3, JBL LSR308
And much, much, more...

I have the 50w version with the updated firmware etc. The USB works fine no issues there. I did add an output to it so I can hook up a 2x12 cab. Made a world of difference between the stock 12 speaker. It lacks a little bottom end stock.

I would definitely keep it hooked up to Tone Studio so you can save presets and program just what you need when you need it.

Great Amp though. Probably one of the best combo amps to have come out over the last few years.

Some sounds I was getting off of it, hope that helps:

Kinda Eric Johnson-Ish

Heavy Fuzz

With Pedals:

The day I got it - all stock tones with different guitars:
aullucci
Reactions:

Excellent amp, excellent playing. Thanks!
aullucci
Reactions:

So I'm answering my own question, but if anyone else is curious:

tony1852
Reactions:

Guys, can't thank you enough for all the helpful input! And Nash, awesome clips! You also have some really high end stuff-Kemper and AxeFX. The Katana is budget compared really to that stuff, isn't it? But you still must enjoy the Katana.

I'm assuming the Tone Studio is free to get/use with a Katana? Means I need a new 100w MK2 head I guess!!

Again, thanks so much!
JeffBeck
Reactions:

tony1852 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:15 pm Guys, can't thank you enough for all the helpful input! And Nash, awesome clips! You also have some really high end stuff-Kemper and AxeFX. The Katana is budget compared really to that stuff, isn't it? But you still must enjoy the Katana.

I'm assuming the Tone Studio is free to get/use with a Katana? Means I need a new 100w MK2 head I guess!!

Again, thanks so much!
Unless things have drastically changed, Tone Studio is free. I think there are some preset and such that you can buy if you want, but there's so much free stuff out there that I can't even imagine doing that.

Love my 100w. Zero plans of letting it go.
stacks
Reactions:

If only there was a Nash preset....where everything you play sounds like Narsh........
I'd buy 2 :)
Tglo
Reactions:
Gearlist: Way to many and it changes every month.
My new favorite is my Harley Benton guitars.

Had the 50 1x12. Then got the 100 2x12. Now I use the 100 1x12. Al of them are wonderful but I found the 100 1x12 was enough for my needs. As far as sound the tones are killer and with a strat it kicks butt. It's my go to for most gigs and I have an eye on a Katana artist 100 1x12. They are very easy to use and even on the fly at a show you can tweak quickly. I and my Boss will not be separated. 8-)
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him wil not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16
tony1852
Reactions:

Are you guys using a lot of pedals/effects with the Katana, or is it basically a one stop shop? i'd really like to try a friedman BE-OD Deluxe, but if I can save the money and just get the Katana head, then that's a huge bonus. Anything the Katana needs for effects??
Open G
Reactions:

Somebody brought a 50 watt Katana to an open mic jam. The amp sounded awesome. I highly recommend it.
Tsukiyomi
Reactions:
Gearlist: So long, original AGF, and thanks for all the fish

I've got the Mk1 50w and it's a great (and very loud) amp. I mostly run through Tone Studio for my sounds and am seriously thinking about picking up a Mk2 100w 1x12 now, mostly for the FX loop and to be able to use the GA-FC footswitch, which is one of the few gripes I have with the 50.
From the home of The Beatles to the land of Krispy Kreme
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Guitar World sure likes the Katana.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/th ... -dollar500
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
Tglo
Reactions:
Gearlist: Way to many and it changes every month.
My new favorite is my Harley Benton guitars.

All in one needs nada.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him wil not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16