Cheap formerly expensive modeling amp: Line6 Duoverb

honyock
Reactions:

Picked this guy up off Shopgoodwill pickup only. $130 out the door seems like a steal on the surface. Had no clue what it was, but the YouTube videos I was sold at anything under $150.

Looks like it has lived a very easy life and will continue the easy life of being an office amp.

The models I started with are very impressive. The Marshall stuff makes my DSL5CR seem like a toy in comparison. Two 12 inch speakers kicking out killer Plexi tone just overwhelms what a little 10" in a tiny cab can do...

Then I switched it over to the small tweed and could barely hear it because I was going from a 45w model to that little tweedy deluxe model. Cranked it and it was Neil Young territory.

I think I am going to enjoy learning the ins/outs of it.

Going to get rid of the Peavey Bandit I just rescued. The Fender pots I bought worked great and I swapped all the knobs out for some chickenheads using 1/4 vinyl tubing to convert from the 3/16" posts of the OE Peavey pots. Image

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

I have a funny feeling that these Line6 amps are going to be like Peavey Bandits -- people who had them are going to look back and say "you know, some of these were actually good." HNAD!
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
thepezident
Reactions:
Gearlist: I got stuff

I had a Peavey Bandit and loved it.
I think it was the red stripe edition.

Sold it after I watched Peavey on Undercover Boss
honyock
Reactions:

Yeah, I can't imagine people shelling out what they did for this back when it was new 20 years ago, but for less than I will likely sell the Bandit for, it is insane how good it sounds.

Although I just figured out why the Reverb on the Bandit was so noisy. Somebody put a piece of cardboard underneath it and for some reason it was causing some nasty noise.

I checked all the usual suspects. With the tank out of the bag and just sitting on top of the amp, dead quiet even dimed. Then I looked inside the Reverb bag and saw the sheet of cardboard. I put the tank back in the bag, still dead quiet, reinstalled the tank in the bottom of the cabinet, reinstalled the P clamp for the wires and was rocking out.

The new knobs really class the amp up though I probably should have done knobs that don't touch each other, but I like Chickenheads...

I didn't clean out the inside of the cab, but probably should if I'm gonna sell it. ImageImageImage

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
honyock
Reactions:

I got the Duoverb settled, had to add a book shelf for it to live on. Nice solid wood, sturdy hone for it.

Front and center to blast the 100w stereo output directly at my face...Image

honyock
Reactions:

thepezident wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:33 am I had a Peavey Bandit and loved it.
I think it was the red stripe edition.

Sold it after I watched Peavey on Undercover Boss
Peavey bor his doogus son-in-law from the Ubdercover Boss isn't getting any money from me. Would never buy one new from them. I purposely bought unbranded pots instead of giving them over triple for the correct Peavey replacement. Hard to believe they want over double of even a Fender branded one...I doubt Peavey lasts much longer than the old man except as a PINO (Peavey in name only, like so many former US and other amp brands have moved toward)
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Gotta ask: how does it do hard rock/metal tones?
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
honyock
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote:Gotta ask: how does it do hard rock/metal tones?
I would lean towards yes, but I could barely crack the master on the JCM 800 or Dual Rectifier models without peeling paint off the walls.

However, I am a very unqualified player of metal...

Hackishly playing some Master of Puppets, it sounds pretty dang convincing though.

honyock
Reactions:

Well, I finally played louder.

Didn't even notice this at first, but it is actually like a pair 1x12 combos side by side when in split mode. You can select the left side (amp 1) or the right side (amp 2). It is kind of crazy being able to just jump between amps side by side. I like this a lot.

You can of course run it as a 2x12 with just one amp too.

Then there is the blend mode with 2 amps hot, this runs two different amp models at the same time. Not sure if this one is all that useful, but maybe with the right kinds of amps together???
honyock
Reactions:

Officially sold my Bandit for 45 more than I paid for this...that is wild to me.

honyock
Reactions:

Now I am on the lookout for a footboard for this thing, looks like it really opens up controls and allows for saving of presets more than just the 4 on the face of the amp.

Ended up making this a $230 amp, picked up the FBV Shortboard for $100 shipped.