Super Champ X2 cabinet option

honyock
Reactions:

I bought my SCX2 a while back and had been just playing it through the speaker inside my Monoprice 15w combo. I decided to try something different and I think the results are either surprising, or exactly what I should have expected. I had a 10" Celestion from my Marshall AVT20 that I had installed a WGS Vet 10 in, I also had a sealed 10" car subwoofer enclosure (very cheap MDF from Circuit City...) that I hadn't used since I sold my Mustang in 2014. I put the speaker in the cabinet, made a pigtail with a 1/4" mono jack to connect to the push connects and fired up the amp.

Should I be surprised that it sounds great in my small office space, or should that be expected since it is a modeling amp (with a tube power section) so the sealed cabinet in a small space is actually a better idea than an open back combo masquerading as a cabinet?
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
aullucci
Reactions:

My first amp was the Mustang I with the 8" speaker. I rigged a speaker out jack and run it through a 1x12 open back I made. It sounds monumentally better. I was really pretty floored by how much speaker changes can affect tone. I don't know anything about whether open or closed back (or any of the other speaker specs) should make it sound better, but if you think it sounds better, then you win!
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

1. You should not be surprised :)
2. SCXD and SCX2 are heads with an auxiliary speaker - a head masquerading as a combo :lol:
OMB
Reactions:

I stacked my SCXD combo on a 1x12 when I wanted a little more depth and oompth. Then I wasted the money to convert it to a true head because I liked it better than the SCX2 head. Then I decided I was tired of Fender amps...
Central Floriduh Ain't it Grand!
archetype
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fender: James Burton Standard Tele, Baja 50s Tele, Classic Player 50s Strat, MIJ ST-62DEX2 Strat.
Squier: Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Bullet Strat, Affinity Strat.
Gibson: ES-335 TDC, Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute.

honyock wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:01 am I bought my SCX2 a while back and had been just playing it through the speaker inside my Monoprice 15w combo. I decided to try something different and I think the results are either surprising, or exactly what I should have expected. I had a 10" Celestion from my Marshall AVT20 that I had installed a WGS Vet 10 in, I also had a sealed 10" car subwoofer enclosure (very cheap MDF from Circuit City...) that I hadn't used since I sold my Mustang in 2014. I put the speaker in the cabinet, made a pigtail with a 1/4" mono jack to connect to the push connects and fired up the amp.

Should I be surprised that it sounds great in my small office space, or should that be expected since it is a modeling amp (with a tube power section) so the sealed cabinet in a small space is actually a better idea than an open back combo masquerading as a cabinet?
It's no surprise to me that it responds well with different speakers and cabs. Once you get past the SS preamp/DSP, everything from that point (driver, phase inverter, output) is 99% Fender Princeton circuit. Like a Princeton, it doesn't lack for low end. If you have a cab that reinforces low end, as you turn up volume you may need to turn down bass. Just like a Princeton. :D

I occasionally plug my SCX2 into a Fender Tremolux 2 x 10" cab loaded with Weber speakers. That rig has a big, punchy tone.
Fender: James Burton Standard Tele, Baja 50s Tele, Classic Player 50s Strat, MIJ ST-62DEX2 Strat
Squier: Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Bullet Strat, Affinity Strat
Gibson: ES-335 TDC, Les Paul 50s Tribute goldtop