Just Picked up a New (to me) Katana 50

JeffBeck
Reactions:

Fella I work with was getting rid of a Katana 50 MK2 that he just didn't need. He had bought it mainly to use as a monitor and wasn't happy with it. So, for $100 it's now sitting at my house. Probably had less than an hour of playtime on it.

A bit different than my old Katana 100w MK1 with the concentric knob controls and such - but still the same old Katana underneath it. Pretty pleased. Sorry about the picture - black amp in the back of a black suv. Brilliant photography skills.
katana-50.jpg
bleys21
Reactions:

Nice score! Those Katana amps are nice ones, and get really loud for solid state amps.
LancerTheGreat
Reactions:
Gearlist: -Guitars-
Gibson Dave Mustaine Flying V EXP
ESP LTD DV8R Dave Mustaine Signature Model
ESP LTD V401DX
Agile AL3100
Kit Explorer
Jackson JS32RR
TWANG Tele
Samick Strat
Firefly Semi-Hollow Tele
Globe Dove Copy

-Amps-
Orange OR-15 (Head)
EVH 112 (Cabinet)
Bugera 1960 Infinium (Head)
Bugera 412 (Cabinet)
Peavey VTX Classic 212 (Combo)
Laney Mini-ST Lionheart Practice Amp

Killer snag dude, I've always wanted to get one of those just to fiddle around on.
And I think the photo looks proper, it's like that amp belongs in there on its merry way to crank some tasty jams out somewhere.

Congrats on the new amp, hope she treats you like a fine wine.
~Formerly LookingDownTheCross~
JeffBeck
Reactions:

bleys21 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:35 pm Nice score! Those Katana amps are nice ones, and get really loud for solid state amps.
It's honestly ridiculous that I have a 50w amp, let alone the 100w Katana that I already had, because I always play at a very low volume. Nobody needs to hear me very loud.
JeffBeck
Reactions:

LancerTheGreat wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:11 pm Killer snag dude, I've always wanted to get one of those just to fiddle around on.
And I think the photo looks proper, it's like that amp belongs in there on its merry way to crank some tasty jams out somewhere.

Congrats on the new amp, hope she treats you like a fine wine.
It's definitely easier to man handle than its 100w big brother.

I'd recommend one any time. They have fantastic pre-sets and you can fiddle around in the software absolutely forever downloading and tweaking - but they also are just killer little amps just using the eq knobs. Ferocious little dudes.
mickey
Reactions:

Where have you been hiding amigo!??! Been wondering if covid got you!?!
Gandalf the Intonationer
JeffBeck
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:43 pm Where have you been hiding amigo!??! Been wondering if covid got you!?!
Nope - just busy and not thinking about or playing much guitar over the last couple of years.

Started a new design job about midway through 2021 and I'm really liking it there. So that's in the "Pro" column.

But I'd been feeling bad for the last couple of years, too. Which is the main reason that I haven't been on the forum much. I just couldn't work up the energy to do it.

I thought it was maybe some low-key depression from the pandemic, losing my job because of the pandemic, not being able to find a new job because of the pandemic, etc, etc. Had a bunch of weird weight gain (again attributed to Covid19 inactivity), tired all the time (possible depression, I thought <shakes fist at Covid>) and just general blah-ness. So, as I said, I got a new job with all new insurance, and thought I'd better finally bite the bullet and get myself an actual personal physician - which I haven't had in over 15 years. Did the whole check-up and blood work thing. Got a call a week later telling me to come back into the office because I now officially have the "beetus". Hooray. This all just happened about 2 weeks ago. So I'm putting that in the "Con" column.

Since then I've become very adept at sticking lancets into my fingertips (which doesn't help my already awful guitar skills) and avoiding carbs. I've learned to take all the foods that I love and replace them with vegetables.

On the plus side I've lost nearly 20 pounds over the last two weeks. So that's nice.

But, now I'm getting it handled and l'm feeling better than I have in years. So Covid didn't nearly get me (as far as I know I've never had it) but my addiction to Coca Cola nearly did me in.
Morrison
Reactions:

JeffBeck wrote:
bleys21 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:35 pm Nice score! Those Katana amps are nice ones, and get really loud for solid state amps.
It's honestly ridiculous that I have a 50w amp, let alone the 100w Katana that I already had, because I always play at a very low volume. Nobody needs to hear me very loud.
Set them up in stereo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JeffBeck
Reactions:

Morrison wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:57 pm
JeffBeck wrote:
Set them up in stereo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While that is a terrific idea - my son absconded with my 100w the last time he visited from school. But I’m definitely going to use it in conjunction with my Vox ad30vt and my 339Pro which has stereo output. I’ll use the Katana for the acoustic nano mag pickup and the Vox for the hum buckers. It’s a fantastic blended sound.
Mr. Leyvatone
Reactions:
Gearlist: 5 Agiles, 5 SX, assorted other guitars and gear.

Congrats on the amp. Nice to hear from you and I hope the worst of the recent years is in your rear view mirror.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

JB!

Glad to see you're taking care of your health. In the end, your health and the people who love you are all you truly have.

And remember: Lemmy had diabetes. So you can have diabetes and still be a badass.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

@JeffBeck

Killer deal on a really great amp! Also, great to have you back and hearing that your health and job conditions are improving!
Live life to the fullest! - Rob