WTB: Crate Volume Pot

jhull54
Reactions:

Need one of these on the off chance someone has one. Willing to pay! Looking for the purple pot, which is clean volume channel. Its 10k. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

honyock
Reactions:

There was a company that sells all sorts of random pots that I got my Soul Food replacement pot and a switch for a Bad Monkey from. I can't remember off hand, but let me look through my old emails.

It was Small Bear.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
jhull54
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:44 pm There was a company that sells all sorts of random pots that I got my Soul Food replacement pot and a switch for a Bad Monkey from. I can't remember off hand, but let me look through my old emails.

It was Small Bear.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Thanks! I'll check that website out.
mozz
Reactions:

Small bear actually retired. Eventually all the parts and website were bought by some synth/keyboard parts seller. He is as good a guy as Steve was from small bear, so if you don't see the part you need, send a email/contact and ask, he just may have it and not cataloged yet.

That being said, i may have a Crate or 2 chassis here. I use the cabinets to build tube amps into.
AGF refugee
jhull54
Reactions:

Thanks Mozz. I didn't see anything on SB, but I will ask. And if you find something in your bag of tricks, let me know. I'll be glad to pay shipping and whatever.
mozz
Reactions:

The Crate chassis i have has 1/8 pot shafts. Yours looks like 1/4" d shafts. Have you tried spraying cleaner in there?
AGF refugee
jhull54
Reactions:

mozz wrote:The Crate chassis i have has 1/8 pot shafts. Yours looks like 1/4" d shafts. Have you tried spraying cleaner in there?
Yeah, I sprayed the heck out of them. I think the wiper went south. The other pots all perked up, but that one was a problem.

No worries mozz. Appreciate you checking!

I may shoot you a message about repurposing the thing for a tube build.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mozz
Reactions:

What's the model number? I found another outside part of a crate so i must have another chassis here somewhere.
AGF refugee
jhull54
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:16 am What's the model number? I found another outside part of a crate so i must have another chassis here somewhere.
This Crate is an XT30RC. Reverb tank and chorus.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Having been a certified Crate repairman at one time, those pots would self-destruct internally.

Loud technologies currently owns Crate and will be of no help. They'll refer you to an authorized repair center, who will tell you it will cost more than the amp is worth.

Here is hack #1 if you cannot find one:
- Buy an Alpha mini pot of the same value (A10K), long 1/4" split-shaft, which terminates into PC (straight pins vs. solder lugs)
- Break off one side of the spline shaft.
- Solder it in, reassemble and secure it to the amp face with the nuts (may require some adjusting)

Hack #2:
- Same but use a short-shaft with solder lugs.
- Solder lead wires to the pot. Use enough lead wire so that your pot will mount to the chassis when assembled.
- Solder the other end of the leads to the PC board
- Reassemble and affix the pot to the chassis with the pot nuts.

I have successfully performed both hacks, many times.

Hint: check the solder pads on the PC board for stress cracks and continuity.

Hope this helps!
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
jhull54
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:45 am
Hack #2:
- Same but use a short-shaft with solder lugs.
- Solder lead wires to the pot. Use enough lead wire so that your pot will mount to the chassis when assembled.
- Solder the other end of the leads to the PC board
- Reassemble and affix the pot to the chassis with the pot nuts.

Hope this helps!
Great info! I think I can pull this off. Thanks!
bc rich
Reactions:

That looks identical to a Fender 10k pot i recently replaced .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/263539202984?c ... aa7cc5ee1e

t
bc rich
Reactions:

DSCN1805.JPG

Looks very similar , the shaft on this one had been broken
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

bc rich wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:34 pm That looks identical to a Fender 10k pot i recently replaced .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/263539202984?c ... aa7cc5ee1e

t
That might work!
Live life to the fullest! - Rob