NAD: BOSS KATANA MK11-50

redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

I got this new Boss Katana MK11 50 today at the end of a 2 or 3 month trading adventure I started out trading a Quilter Micro Block I bought 2 of these on a MF Stupid deal of the day for a $100 each. I've got a lot of stuff I never even look at because of checking the Stupid Deal of The Day religiously every morning. Someimes you can get a good deal for something you actually want or need I bought a Gator case for my SX Strat from them the other day for $69. Anyway, I traded the Quilter for an older Squire strat that had the output jack yanked out of it, so I fixed that and did a few adjustments cleaned it up good put a new set of strings on it and kept trading so today I ended up with the Boss brand new and I have about $100 in it and $269 is the street price. I know without pictures it didn't happen so here's the Quilter I started out with and the strat I traded for and my Boss that's all I have pictures of.
I'm going to keep this amp for a while as I have a use for it, that said I think it would benefit greatly with a better speaker so any recommendations for a 12" speaker going into a 50 watt solid state amp I would like to hear them. I would like to buy one for $100 or max $150

TRJfv4C[1].jpg
u9w9wCL[1].jpg
jacHwT0[1].jpg
bleys21
Reactions:

I can't speak to what speaker to replace it with, but I did have a Katana 100w, and it was a really nice amp. I ended up getting rid of it not because it didn't do its job, but because the people in my household rebelled against the noise :-)
thepezident
Reactions:
Gearlist: I got stuff

bleys21 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:27 pm I can't speak to what speaker to replace it with, but I did have a Katana 100w, and it was a really nice amp. I ended up getting rid of it not because it didn't do its job, but because the people in my household rebelled against the noise :-)
The 50w has a .5w power setting.
I picked up a version 1 of the Katana 50 for $100 on Xmas eve.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Speakers you say?

"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
bleys21
Reactions:

Yeah, I think the 100w had something similar near there as well. But, well, you know...it sounds better cranked up! And even at the low wattage settings, it still got loud. At 100w, it was tube amp loud, really cool for SS amp.

thepezident wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:35 am
bleys21 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:27 pm I can't speak to what speaker to replace it with, but I did have a Katana 100w, and it was a really nice amp. I ended up getting rid of it not because it didn't do its job, but because the people in my household rebelled against the noise :-)
The 50w has a .5w power setting.
I picked up a version 1 of the Katana 50 for $100 on Xmas eve.
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

Kats are GREAT amps. Join the FB group...26K members. :)

"Boss Katana Amps"
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
Morrison
Reactions:

+1 to the Facebook groups. There’s a few out there with loads of patches. Some good…some not so good.

There’s an app you can use on an android device to connect to the Katana. I prefer it over using Tone studio.

Look up Katana Librarian
AnotherJim
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile 3010 SE, Epiphone LP Studio, Fender MIM Strat and Tele, Squier Stagemaster, Squier Standard, Peavey Rotor, Samick Arts SG

I have the Katana Artist and it sounds great an has crazy functionality. My issue, and it might be my settings, is that when I pay with the fellas, I am surrounded by 2 Marshalls, and onesies I cant hear my play..only during the lead boost. Anyone experience something similar to this? I can play louder then it is all me you hear, but in the mix, I do not want to dominate
Milkman
Reactions:

@AnotherJim , could it just be a case of you having dialled in a big, thick tone at home that is too bass heavy? Then, when your in with the gang, you are washed away by the bass guitar and kick drum/low toms.

Try dialling in some more mid frequencies into your tone and see if it helps. Your tone may sound weak and thin at home, but will jump out in the live room (as long as the other guitars are not in exactly the same range).
"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013
AnotherJim
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile 3010 SE, Epiphone LP Studio, Fender MIM Strat and Tele, Squier Stagemaster, Squier Standard, Peavey Rotor, Samick Arts SG

@milkman, I think that may be the problem. We sometimes are in the same range. Thanks for the input. I guess we all want our equipment to do everything
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

HNAD!

What is the original speaker doing / not doing, which makes you want to replace it?
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Wasn't it loud enough to drown them out ?
bleys21
Reactions:

Oh yeah lol. If I was playing, it was like everyone was mute, couldn't hear a thing besides the amp!

I cranked it a few times at 100w...it shook stuff off the walls in the living room. 50w was a little easier, but still loud to the point where it could be heard outside. The .5w setting was where I had it most of the time, and even at that setting, my wife couldn't hear the TV when I was playing. The Kemper makes her happier, since I use headphones with it...

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:47 pm
Wasn't it loud enough to drown them out ?
MichaelR
Reactions:

I have a Katana 100/1 12 also and I have found I can dial in my tone using 0.5 setting, then turn up the volume so it just barely starts coming through the speaker and it still sounds good. I love this amp myself as I'm a bedroom player with close neighbors and thin walls.