NLCC&OMT

ASATTele
Reactions:
Gearlist: Dillion semi-hollow PRS clone, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Standard Tribute, Gibson SG Special P90 60s Tribute, Ibanez AS73, Paul Reed Smith SE Custom 24, Squier Affinity Series Starcaster, SX SJM

Ibanez EW20zwe, Ovation Celebrity

Squier P Bass, SX Ursa

Behringer bass amp, Crate acoustic amp, Peavey Classic 30, Vox AD30VT

My dad passed away about a year and a half ago and I inherited almost all of his gear. Amongst his amps, I received a Vox modeling amp (AD15, I think), and a Peavey Classic 30. Neither is one I would have picked for myself; I don't love modelers because I get lost in tweaking and fiddling, and never really learn what I'm trying to learn. The Peavey sounds great, but it's not a home amp - way, way too loud.

This leads me to my New Gear Day. My birthday was last weekend, so I took my birthday money, sold off some RC stuff (one of my other hobbies), and I bought my first real head and cabinet. NLCC&OMT = New Laney Cub Cab 212 & Orange Micro Terror.

I can hear the groans now - Laney... MDF, not birch,/pine/whatever... HH speakers, not Celestions... MT isn't a real amp... only has one tube...
Well, I can tell you that, to my untrained ear, they sounded pretty great when paired with one another.

Here's what I like best about the Laney cab:
- 212 cab for $240 (thanks, Amazon)
- Can be used in portrait or landscape mode
- relatively light (40 pounds?)
- Two handles on top - one at either end - so the head can sit atop the cab without wobbling.
- Sounds pretty good, and the HH speaker should only get better with use. And If I have to ditch them for different speakers, there are a ton of options.

Here's what I like best about the Orange MT head:
- I found out, purely by accident, that It is magical. No, seriously! Magical! How do I know? Well, I forgot to turn the volume down when I turned it off to swap guitars, then plugged my SG in with dimed volume controls. I flipped it back on, bumped the strings, and the resultant noise from the amplifier nearly created a load where there was none mere moments earlier! See, magical!
- Simple controls - Volume, tone, and gain. No models or effects in which to get lost. And it has that great Orange amps aesthetic.
- Seriously, guys - it's loud.
- Small and easily transportable.
- Loud. Pants-fillingly loud if you're unsuspecting.
- Decent cleans - still just the tiniest bit of hair, but really nice.
- It's the opposite of quiet - though it can do quiet cleans and quiet gainy tones, so might be a good bedroom amp... if you don't turn it up.
- Headphone jack - can be used for quiet practice.

I set everything up and tried it out with my Fender Player + Top Tele, my SG with P90s, and my PRS SE Custom 24. In each case, there were good, useable tones. The quickest to break up were the P90s in the SG. They sounded fuzzy and distorted at the same settings where the Tele sounded pretty bright, clean, and articulate. Some twiddling with the tone and gain knobs cleaned it right up. The PRS was perhaps the cleanest and most articulate sounding, though I could never get anything approaching a metal sound out of it. I imagine that has something to do with the pickups. If one were to run a set of active EMGs through it, metal tones would probably be easy to find. Though I love to listen to metal, I don't really want to play it, so this was no big deal for me.
IMG_20211008_204807673.jpg
IMG_20211008_204848138.jpg
IMG_20211008_204922535.jpg
Ultimately, I spent $400 and got a really nice, useable amp set up that will allow me to focus on playing, and also let me turn up and shake the house, if I want. I think I mentioned that this thing could get loud, right? I know I'm making a joke of it, and maybe it has to do with what it looks like, but I was genuinely shocked at how loud it would get. It would have rivalled my Peavey at top volume, but sounds better and is easier to get pleasant sounds out of at lower volumes.
AnotherJim
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile 3010 SE, Epiphone LP Studio, Fender MIM Strat and Tele, Squier Stagemaster, Squier Standard, Peavey Rotor, Samick Arts SG

Having owned the classic and the Micro terror, I would say I liked the Peavey more. You are correct about the MT…it is tiny, simple and does get plenty loud. Although my Classi was a beast. Either way, sounds like you are very happy with your purchase and that’s what matters. Congrats! And Happy Birthday!