Backyard mini amps

aullucci
Reactions:

I usually play acoustic outside, but was kicking around grabbing one of those little mini amps to play in the backyard while I'm waiting for the grill to do its thing. Anyone have any experience with these? I was looking specifically at the Katana Mini, the Blackstar Fly and the Laney Mini. The Laney in particular has my curiosity.
image.png
https://www.laney.co.uk/assets/img/prod ... N_Main.png

This one is like 120. They have a 100 version with no bluetooth and a 70 version that's one channel, not two, and mono rather than stereo. I personally would use the bluetooth feature just to have another outdoor speaker to use. It also has a smartphone insert, where you can allegedly open an app, import the good tonez, and use whatever tone you like. Also has tape delay!

I think many of this kind of amp are probably pretty interchangeable in terms of quality, but the Laney is the only one I've seen that has a smartphone feature. Does anyone know if it works?
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

My mini does the job well. Nice 'n portable. A little too much plastic, but I'm careful with it.
KIMG1065.jpg
42972665_1645256728912603_115974631071940608_n.jpg
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
aullucci
Reactions:

The katana is so solid. And I feel like if I’m just using it to mess around, do I really need an app anyway?
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

No batteries, but I pretty much use my Spark this way - light, easily portable, great modeling to download. Whatever works for your ears, lifestyle, and budget.
Chocol8
Reactions:

I like to use a Fender Dual Showman so the neighbors don’t miss out on my playing.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

The Blackstar products in this range are nice, I have no knowledge of the Laney's though. My solution for this application is something you will likely only find used, but I have an old Fender Mustang mini -the little known/little brother of the Mustang 1 VI that was only available for a short time. I love it though as it has all the features of the full size mustang including the fuse connectivity, but it's a very small 7 watt/6.5" speaker version and has both battery and AC power options. I use it all the time, even as my living room amp. It actually does an awesome job of pretending to be a fender Champ, even better than the mustang 1. There is a line in but no bluetooth. They show up used occasionally but usually missing the AC adaptor or in pretty beat up shape.

AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
aullucci
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:01 pm The Blackstar products in this range are nice, I have no knowledge of the Laney's though. My solution for this application is something you will likely only find used, but I have an old Fender Mustang mini -the little known/little brother of the Mustang 1 VI that was only available for a short time. I love it though as it has all the features of the full size mustang including the fuse connectivity, but it's a very small 7 watt/6.5" speaker version and has both battery and AC power options. I use it all the time, even as my living room amp. It actually does an awesome job of pretending to be a fender Champ, even better than the mustang 1. There is a line in but no bluetooth. They show up used occasionally but usually missing the AC adaptor or in pretty beat up shape.

I'd never seen that - and I still own my Mustang 1 V2. That'd be a solid choice, too. And I always liked the Spark, too, but hadn't really been considering it this time because it's basically twice as much. But still, these are both good choices for what I'm after...
uwmcscott
Reactions:

aullucci wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:10 am I'd never seen that - and I still own my Mustang 1 V2. That'd be a solid choice, too. And I always liked the Spark, too, but hadn't really been considering it this time because it's basically twice as much. But still, these are both good choices for what I'm after...
I've been debating a Spark too - I have used all the positive grid IOS platform tools ( Bias/JamUp ) for a long time so the familiarity with the app is there for me. Looks like the overall reviews now that they have been out for a while are mostly positive as well.
aullucci
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:01 pm
aullucci wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:10 am I'd never seen that - and I still own my Mustang 1 V2. That'd be a solid choice, too. And I always liked the Spark, too, but hadn't really been considering it this time because it's basically twice as much. But still, these are both good choices for what I'm after...
I've been debating a Spark too - I have used all the positive grid IOS platform tools ( Bias/JamUp ) for a long time so the familiarity with the app is there for me. Looks like the overall reviews now that they have been out for a while are mostly positive as well.
I use Bias FX2 as a plugin whenever I play through my Mac and I do kinda like it. I wonder if those dual-amp stereo rigs you set up in Bias would actually play in stereo through the Spark? Probably, right? I have a fun preset with a Bassman plus delay on one side and a Plexi plus a booster on the other that sounds a million times better through stereo headphones than a mono speaker. If that plays in stereo through the Spark, that would be a plus for me...
uwmcscott
Reactions:

aullucci wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:14 pm I wonder if those dual-amp stereo rigs you set up in Bias would actually play in stereo through the Spark? Probably, right?
Looks like that's a no, at least according to the FAQ. There is a separate Spark app you use to talk to the amp and looks like you can't move things back and forth between them - kind of a bummer but not really a deal breaker for me

Having said that, you could just run your line out from the mac to the aux line in on the Spark from and IOS device.

https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/ ... ftware-FAQ
Q: Can I load presets from BIAS FX 2 into Spark, or vice versa?
A: No. Spark will not load presets from BIAS FX 2, neither the other way around.
aullucci
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:38 pm
aullucci wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:14 pm I wonder if those dual-amp stereo rigs you set up in Bias would actually play in stereo through the Spark? Probably, right?
Looks like that's a no, at least according to the FAQ. There is a separate Spark app you use to talk to the amp and looks like you can't move things back and forth between them - kind of a bummer but not really a deal breaker for me

Having said that, you could just run your line out from the mac to the aux line in on the Spark from and IOS device.

https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/ ... ftware-FAQ
Q: Can I load presets from BIAS FX 2 into Spark, or vice versa?
A: No. Spark will not load presets from BIAS FX 2, neither the other way around.
Yeah that’s not a deal breaker for me either. I’m honestly much more interested in a portable solution that doesn’t need to attach to a computer. But I know the bias stuff sounds good, and the spark is a great package of what I’m looking for…

You’re not helping me here.