NAD: Paul Reed Smith MT15

Frankenfretter
Reactions:
Gearlist: Far too much...

I haven't been totally satisfied with my Peavey 6505MH head lately, and I wanted something different. After watching far too many Youtube video reviews, and seeking personal experiences, I decided on the PRS MT15. Why? It's a compact "lunch box" sized head, but it uses 6L6s. And five, yes five, gain stages. I have not seen another low-watt head that uses octals, unless they're 6V6s, so this was a good find. Of course, the demos all sounded great for tight metal, but they also pointed out that the clean channel was outstanding. It really is. This amp sounds so much bigger than 15 watts...probably because it is closer to 30 watts, according to a tech that bench tested it. It also has a half-power setting, which is coming in handy.

To be honest, after playing with the amp in stock dress. I wasn't sure that I'd made the right decision. I like the demos of tight metal on the gain channel, but I guess maybe that's not really my style of playing. I gravitate toward more of a Marshall sound, not a Mesa sound (which, apparently, these are attempting to emulate, because Mark Tremonti uses Mesas). I decided to have a look under the hood, and do some tube rolling. After playing around with some different combinations, I now have an Amperex 12AY7 in the PI position (thanks, Jimmy!), Tung Sols in the rest, except for V3, which has a vintage tube of mine that has lost the printing. I think it's a 5751. In any case, the amp sounded much better with that arrangement. Just getting rid of the stock JJ preamp tubes was a huge step in the right direction. I also swapped out the stock Ruby 6L6s for a pair of JJ 6CA7s. That really brought it closer to what my ears like to hear. I haven't biased it yet, because I want to try some KT77s in there before I do the biasing (super easy on this amp). Currently running this through my newly acquired 5150 412 cab.
mt15 3.jpg
MT15 2.jpg
MT15 1.jpg
eicca
Reactions:

I want to hear it!
-={Resident Boston Fanatic}=-
Agile AL-3200 satin black; Agile AL-3010SE Goldtop, signed by Boston, retired; The Amazing Mystery Kit Bass
1984 Rockman X100 Rev10; 1988 Rockman Sustainor 200; 1983 Yamaha PB-1
Custom built Stradivarius-model cello
RiverDog
Reactions:

Noice! From the moment this amp was introduced I had major GAS for it. Congrats!
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
"Perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break."
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

I played one of these through an EVH 2x12 (IIRC), and it sounded gooooood. HNAD!
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
Frankenfretter
Reactions:

eicca wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:01 am I want to hear it!
There are some good demos out there, much better than anything I could pull off.
I'm still dialing it in, but it's getting there.
Frankenfretter
Reactions:

I tried the KT77s yesterday, and I don't really care for them in this amp. They seem to add a harshness that wasn't there with the 6CA7s or the 6L6s.
I still want to try some EL34s, but I think the 6CA7s may be the perfect match. At least, so far. I do also have some pretty decent sounding no-name Russian 6L6s that I may try.
Frankenfretter
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:03 pm I played one of these through an EVH 2x12 (IIRC), and it sounded gooooood. HNAD!
Then you can probably imagine what it sounds like through a 5150 412!
(Hint: amazing)
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Frig, I don't need another amp. I don't need to know how awesome this sounds through my Rectifier 2x12. No matter what that little guy on my left shoulder wearing the devil suit says, I don't!
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
fullonshred
Reactions:

Congrats on the new amp buddy. It's certainly a looker, and sounds like it's a Cooker. : )
Frankenfretter
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:40 am Frig, I don't need another amp. I don't need to know how awesome this sounds through my Rectifier 2x12. No matter what that little guy on my left shoulder wearing the devil suit says, I don't!
This is actually (maybe sadly) the most I've ever spent on an amp. No regerts, though.
I'm still tube rolling, but I think the 6CA7s will stay in the power section. I just got an NOS RCA 5751 that I need to try in various positions in this amp.
Probably the best change so far was to swap out all the JJ preamp tubes, though. Huge improvement to my ears!

I've got a couple oversized, closed back 212s I need to try this with. For now, I am very happy with the 412, though.
MattFireblade
Reactions:

I have 6CA7s in my Peavey VB-2, and they are incredible power tubes. I need to do some preamp tube rolling in that head though.
solteroblues
Reactions:

Great amp! I am actually trying to sell mine, as I don't need anything but my Helix (technically I don't need anything but a headphone amp LOL). Hope you like it enough to become your #1.