Illegal to work on your own electronics in Nordic countries?

glasshand
Reactions:

I ran across this weird claim in a Victory amplifier manual. Anybody ever heard of this claim before, or know what the law actually covers? I couldn't find anything about it.
In certain countries, (specifically, Nordic countries), is it totally forbidden to open up any electronic equipment or to work on them at all unless you are a fully qualified and approved technician. Please check the laws in your country and do not attempt to change valves/tubes or re-bias the amplifier if the law forbids this.
source: https://dri ve.google.com/file/d/12gYBf7hSTwXP1HcB70M-JvnOx2Lmre9R/view?pli=1
mickey
Reactions:

Sounds like the good ole U.S.A & John Deere farm equipment.
I saw a few days ago a bunch of people (like farmers) have managed to get a bill in congress giving them the "Right to Repair."
Gandalf the Intonationer
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Yup. Any way they can find to get you to keep paying for what you already own, they will. Heard of car companies requiring subscription service for features like seat heaters?
mickey
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:19 pm Yup. Any way they can find to get you to keep paying for what you already own, they will. Heard of car companies requiring subscription service for features like seat heaters?
Toyota if memory serves.
Gandalf the Intonationer
mozz
Reactions:

Some the remote start was subscription. Some Fords the NAV works for a few years then wants a subscription. Without it, the NAV only works as a map.

As to certain countries forbidding you to work on your own electronics, wonder why, unless people were burning their houses down or getting electrocuted. Could be insurance companies pushing it. " Listening to rock&roll music while driving causes more accidents than other styles of music. Therefore, when in drive mode, you will be limited to the GOV approved stations only."
AGF refugee
toomanycats
Reactions:

Don't even think about removing a mattress tag. I heard about this guy doing twenty years on a Sealy Posturpedic rap. ;) :lol:

mattressesdonotremovetagmain.png
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Some of those tags now way except the "consumer". I just saw one last week and thought that is a change from the old days.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

glasshand wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:00 pm I ran across this weird claim in a Victory amplifier manual. Anybody ever heard of this claim before, or know what the law actually covers? I couldn't find anything about it.
In certain countries, (specifically, Nordic countries), is it totally forbidden to open up any electronic equipment or to work on them at all unless you are a fully qualified and approved technician. Please check the laws in your country and do not attempt to change valves/tubes or re-bias the amplifier if the law forbids this.
source: https://dri ve.google.com/file/d/12gYBf7hSTwXP1HcB70M-JvnOx2Lmre9R/view?pli=1
This sounds like a job for @deeaa
deeaa
Reactions:

@Tonray's Ghost @glasshand Yes the laws are pretty strict in theory, there's quite short a list of what are you allowed to do with electric stuff without a license.

It's pretty much limited to making simple connections like replacing a damaged plug on a cord and such. However, it's not like it's strictly enforced. Many people do quite a bit of electric installations and such, but typically they'd OK them by a technician, and make final connections.

You can for instance freely build a tube amp, or repair your amp, but by law you aren't allowed to sell them as working amps, only as partially unfinished kits, and let the buyer know they are responsible for having it checked by a technician before use.

Like when I've posted about modding my amps, there's always some who say "that isn't really allowed, shouldn't promote that kind of stuff, should get it done by a technician, remember you can't sell it now as a safe device, beware if it starts a house fire the insurance might deny paying anything due to illegal electric work..."

Some forums even downright have rules that you can't post about such mods etc DIY guides because they require a licence.

But it's all about drawing the line. I can't inagy

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

--
Grunge lives!
Web presences:
https://www.facebook.com/deeheikkinen/
YouTube.com/deeaa
http://www.mosfite.com (redirects to Google site)
deeaa
Reactions:

Imagine anyone having issues with changing tubes and fuses even inside the amp, but already if it doesn't have external bias points etc it's strongly suggested you shouldn't do it yourself.

But no, there's nobody checking up on that and all that...just that if you do electric stuff involving 230V or stronger, work yourself, you're responsible and possibly liable for later issues/damage if there have been errors in installation.

As an example, I installed the power lines and ran them through the walls myself, when we installed the home charger for our EV, a 3x16A 11,000W charger ...as well as the base plate for the charger. But I got all the cables etc from an electrician, who then checked everything is fine, and who then did the connections inside the fuse panel and the charger and did the appropriate tests and certificates.

--
Grunge lives!
Web presences:
YouTube.com/deeaa
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

I work for a company that is HQ'd in Norway. I've only been there a handful of times but one of my co-workers is also an amateur photographer and tinkerer, and he has a whole garage studio filled with projects and electronic equipment in varioius stages of "repair" ;-) I won't give any more details to keep the Nordic Electronics Police at bay... Another friend of mine has a cabin that we visited when I was there in December, and he essentially built the whole thing from the ground up himself, including all the plumbing and electric. So i'm going to also guess it's similar to the mattress tag statement in the US
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:19 pm Yup. Any way they can find to get you to keep paying for what you already own, they will. Heard of car companies requiring subscription service for features like seat heaters?
That is pure grift. You pay $40K for a car loaded with features and the brand hacks your car and shuts off features. Happened to my wife's Rav4 Hybrid, where her navigation app no longer works, because we don't want to pay $240 per year to have it and other useless apps. Yet they retain the ability to access my wife's car whenever they want.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
uwmcscott
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:10 am You pay $40K for a car loaded with features and the brand hacks your car and shuts off features.
Where did you find a new car loaded with features for 40K ;-)

I recently purchased ( against my own best judgement ) a 2023 F150 to replace my 2017. The whole price craziness aside, indeed it is more like an electronic device than a mechanical vehicle. I have been playing around with a software tool ( in read only mode ) that essentially enables/configures/disables things that are chargeable options on the window sticker. The inside of the engine compartment also looks more like the inside of a kitchen appliance than a vehicle. There is a 5.0 v8 engine block buried somewhere under all the plastic and aluminum/wires but it's hard to tell!
tobijohn
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:41 pm Sounds like the good ole U.S.A & John Deere farm equipment.
I saw a few days ago a bunch of people (like farmers) have managed to get a bill in congress giving them the "Right to Repair."
I remember reading at the beginning of the Ukrainian conflict that John Deere was able to remotely disable all the farm equipment that the Russians had looted and shipped out...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
mickey
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:30 am
andrewsrea wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:10 am You pay $40K for a car loaded with features and the brand hacks your car and shuts off features.
Where did you find a new car loaded with features for 40K ;-)

I recently purchased ( against my own best judgement ) a 2023 F150 to replace my 2017.
Dunno whether the 23 is like the 24 or not but I was reading that a REPLACEMENT HEADLAMP for a 2024 F150 is
a tad over $6,000.00 !
Gandalf the Intonationer
uwmcscott
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:19 pm Dunno whether the 23 is like the 24 or not but I was reading that a REPLACEMENT HEADLAMP for a 2024 F150 is
a tad over $6,000.00 !
That's a bit of an exaggeration but yes, the headlight and taillight assemblies on most of these new vehicles are very expensive. Mostly because they contain a lot more than just lights - there are cameras, motion sensors, and all kinds of other crap in there to augment the safety/automated driving features.

I got rear-ended in my 2017 and even though the taillight assemblies were not physically damaged, ford recommends replacment due to all the sensors. I saw the insurance write up and I think they were $700 a pop.

Having said all that, the headlights in new vehicles are amazing from a drivers perspective. We also got a 2023 Mazda CX9 for my wife and it has headlights that turn as you steer. I'm sure it's stupid expensive to replace but it's a very cool and useful feature.
deeaa
Reactions:

It's getting to be difficult to sustain an older car all the time. They're so complicated and many parts expensive.

I'm moving on to new cars only. Got my first EV last spring as a kind of a test, and I can and I will return it in a few months, when the year is up. It's too small and the range is too short.

I'm gonna switch from buying 6-5 year old cars to buying them new, get a 5 year or so warranty for them, keep them 3-4 years and swap for a new one again.

It's only gonna be a little more expensive, but not that much, and no more worries or sudden expenses.

Have decided on buying the modern T Ford, the Tesla Y next, in 4wd long range. That should serve us well for a few years.

--
Grunge lives!
Web presences:
YouTube.com/deeaa
mickey
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:46 pm
mickey wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:19 pm Dunno whether the 23 is like the 24 or not but I was reading that a REPLACEMENT HEADLAMP for a 2024 F150 is
a tad over $6,000.00 !
That's a bit of an exaggeration but yes, the headlight and taillight assemblies on most of these new vehicles are very expensive. Mostly because they contain a lot more than just lights - there are cameras, motion sensors, and all kinds of other crap in there to augment the safety/automated driving features.

I got rear-ended in my 2017 and even though the taillight assemblies were not physically damaged, ford recommends replacment due to all the sensors. I saw the insurance write up and I think they were $700 a pop.
Actually, it really isn't an exaggeration. I say that because it made the news this week. :D
The subject actually came up with with us because I loaned my Miata to a friend recently and she hit a deer!
No fault of hers, the deer jumped off the roadbank directly in front of the Miata, thus no time to brake, swerve or anything.
Anyhoo it busted the Miata headlamp and the replacement was just under $2000 so when the $6000 F150 headlamp popped
up on the news a day or so later she latched on to it & made sure I saw it! :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

tobijohn wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:16 pm
I remember reading at the beginning of the Ukrainian conflict that John Deere was able to remotely disable all the farm equipment that the Russians had looted and shipped out...
When I worked for Boeing, many of their products had proprietary anti-tamper software. Say an F-15 went down (they never do) and ended up in enemy hands and they start reverse engineering the code, it basically erases memory and fries some of the computer components.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:56 pm
a tad over $6,000.00 !

Actually, it really isn't an exaggeration. I say that because it made the news this week. :D
The subject actually came up with with us because I loaned my Miata to a friend recently and she hit a deer!
No fault of hers, the deer jumped off the roadbank directly in front of the Miata, thus no time to brake, swerve or anything.
Anyhoo it busted the Miata headlamp and the replacement was just under $2000 so when the $6000 F150 headlamp popped
All deer should be required to carry liability insurance
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:56 pm
a tad over $6,000.00 !

So Ford is moving from the F-150 to "Eff that noise!"
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
glasshand
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:46 pm Having said all that, the headlights in new vehicles are amazing from a drivers perspective. We also got a 2023 Mazda CX9 for my wife and it has headlights that turn as you steer. I'm sure it's stupid expensive to replace but it's a very cool and useful feature.
Preston Tucker is smirking from his grave.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucker_48 ... n_features if you don't get the reference. The Tucker 48 was the first production car in the US to have a directional headlight.)