Gibson Falcon 5 What !

Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Lamf77
Reactions:

$1499? I'll wait for the Chinese Blackbird 5. Starting at $499.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Lamf77 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:06 pm $1499? I'll wait for the Chinese Blackbird 5. Starting at $499.
I've watched 3 demos so far and I haven't heard a clean tone yet, even at very low volumes. I think Mesa sold them their reject out of spec parts and Gibson as usual is selling a name rather than a product.

Ok..after seeing a few more demos..it can do clean ish tones too. I fo like the aesthetic a lot. Let's see a teardown to see what's inside before passing judgement. Psionic Lyle, we're waiting
Partscaster
Reactions:

I have a 63 Falcon that I use a lot. I was surprised to read an ad for these new ones that described the historic tone, etc, and then went on to describe the new tube configuration.
Instead of " the original GA-19RVT’s somewhat unusual tube configuration, this forward-thinking Falcon comes equipped with a quartet of 12AX7 preamp tubes and dual 6V6 power tubes. " I'm guessing ss rectifier. Its point to point handwired, or so it says. Why not keep a version with original tube design, and also offer the new version? Seems a little silly. But I'm no amp tech.

I believe my 63' has 5Y3 rectifier, 6V6 (2) power, 6EU7 (3) preamp, and 6C4 reverb.
It sounded very clean with a ceramic Feromax type speaker mine came with. I replaced that with a weber 12a125-a for warmer and woody higher volume edge of breakup tone. I love it. The spring reverb and trem are really nice.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Just when I thought I had bought my last amp! It was just short of a year ago that it dawned on me that I should be using a Gibson amp since I am such a Gibson nut. I looked hard at the vintage 50's and 60's models but most had small speakers. They are used quite a bit by harp players. Then I remembered the Goldtone amps in the late 90's. I ended up purchasing a Goldtone and I am very happy with it. The Goldtone amps were a result of Gibson acquiring Trace Elliot guitar amps. They are fantastic. I gig with it 95% of the time because on occasion I use my Super Champ XD. I prefer a 1x12 speaker and the SC has a 10. I replaced the OEM with a Warehouse and it does sound really good.

Now I am thinking that Falcon 5 would be nice to have instead of the SC. Not sure I need to replace the Goldtone GA 15RV though because it is the shizzle for my needs. I just love all things Gibson, even fake ones.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
mickey
Reactions:

The only Gibson amp I ever met that I really liked was the GA-30RVT "Invader." 30 watt, two speakers (a 10" & a 12").
I gigged with one in the 1960-65 range & loved it. Should you find one in half-assed decent shape today It will run around $1000!
That's a lot more than the $350ish I paid for a new one!
Gandalf the Intonationer
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

It is so hard to critically listen to YouTube demos and get reliable information that at today's pricing, I'll wait and see, maybe next year or so unless I can try one out in person before then.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:35 pm The only Gibson amp I ever met that I really liked was the GA-30RVT "Invader." 30 watt, two speakers (a 10" & a 12").
I gigged with one in the 1960-65 range & loved it. Should you find one in half-assed decent shape today It will run around $1000!
That's a lot more than the $350ish I paid for a new one!
Yeah that .49 cent a gallon gasoline is a bit higher too
mickey
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:30 pm

Yeah that .49 cent a gallon gasoline is a bit higher too
Gas didn't get that high until the 1970's. My mom thought .49 cent per gallon gas would end civilization!
I still remember paying $0.12 for high test in Alabama in the 1966-68 range. :D

My first car was a 1956 Nash Metropolitan & I ran out of gas about 1/2 block from an Esso (today's EXxon) station.
I pushed it into the station & $1.98 of hi-test overfilled the tank. :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

My dad, like many back then bought gas by the gallon and not by a monetary amount. They pumped it for you back then. We would pull up and he would say. "Five gallons please." Then he would hand me the $2.00 so I could pay the man when he was done. I thought it was so cool to hand the man the money. He gave me the change and then I would have to give it to my dad. I was 4-5 years old.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
golem
Reactions:

People wondering why they cost this much. Made in the USA. Designed and built by Mesa. Ask yourselves how much Mesas cost.
tonebender
Reactions:

Plus the are made in California, not exactly near the bottom on the labor cost among states. I am actually pleasantly surprised with the pricing as compared to Mesa amps. A USA made hand-wired tube amp for $1500 is a fair deal. Google USA made boutique tube amps and compare prices. You will find Gibson's price point to be competitive. I am currently considering a Hellcat amp made in Georgia and the small head is $1200.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:53 pm Plus the are made in California, not exactly near the bottom on the labor cost among states. I am actually pleasantly surprised with the pricing as compared to Mesa amps. A USA made hand-wired tube amp for $1500 is a fair deal. Google USA made boutique tube amps and compare prices. You will find Gibson's price point to be competitive. I am currently considering a Hellcat amp made in Georgia and the small head is $1200.
Good point. I just paid $750 for a Blackstar 10 Watt CV10 (Studio 10) made in China. Very happy so far but I'm pretty sure the internals are not as meticulous as a handwired USA amp.
Partscaster
Reactions:

old Gibson Falcon GA 19rvt's can be had for 650$- 900$ and higher, on reverb.
You just need to make sure the orange/red tonesucking sprague circuit gizmo is cut out of line. Theres videos on removing them.
They were added by Gibson as some designers thought country music twang would dominate the market going forward from early 60's.
Once the circuit is chopped out, they become the warm bluesy amp that many love. I bought mine in the 90's and someone had already removed the circuit.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
golem
Reactions:

@Partscaster I have a GA-35 RVT that I got for about $200 and @andrewsrea fixed up for me. It was what he would call a bit of a "science project". It sounded fantastic after he wired into DR specs that they're apparently based on. He could tell you more, but I'll tell you there's no way I'll ever sell that.

Still, overall they haven't been collectible amps because they weren't designed and made as well as their Fender counterparts. They need some help to sound their best. The vintage ones are great finds though.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

IMHO, the original Gibson amps were hit and miss with tone and loudness per watt. Early 60's Skylarks aer cool, the Les Paul 40w amps sounded good and the RVT79 Stereo was killer (rumored to have been the amp on The James Gang's 'Funk 49').
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

I wish that they would provide a clip of it with a band for perspective.

I can never tell.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Ok here is a nice sounding demo:

tonebender
Reactions:

This is not helping my belief that I do not need another Gibson amp.
Partscaster
Reactions:

I think that newest clean video of the 12" does a good job of hitting the general tone of mine.
The reverb and trem are very nice sounding. I dont play with that much OD he had going for a while, so cant speak to that use of it.

mine.
IMG_0855.jpg
Partscaster
Reactions:

It seems to me, why get the 5w when the 20 (15w) is only about 300$ more? 1400$ vs 1700$. The 12" sounds much better to my ears.
Mine sounds great on 4, even 3. Past 8 it doesnt get much louder. With a boostier it does.
tonebender
Reactions:

I agree and if I pull the trigger it will be for the Falcon 20. Speaking of football, this Bucs v Lions game is great and the Bucs have a chance. I have a big pot of homemade chili, cold beer and The Bucs!
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:32 pm I agree and if I pull the trigger it will be for the Falcon 20. Speaking of football, this Bucs v Lions game is great and the Bucs have a chance. I have a big pot of homemade chili, cold beer and The Bucs!
Anxiously awaiting your unboxing pics and review.
tonebender
Reactions:

I love my Gibson GA-15RV but it would be nice to have a big bottle Gibson amp. I think I would really like a Falcon with a 6V6 and the tube driven reverb would be icing on the cake. Definitely a different animal from the GA and it is sticking in my head. I have always been a huge fan of EL84 amps, C30, Delta Blues, Vox, Laney, etc., but when I plug into my Luker and the Orange Cabinet or my Ampeg J20, it is magical.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Inside Job