NAD: Aaall the gain

RiverDog
Reactions:

I really need to find a way to turn off the gas. No really, stop laughing!

So the other day I posted about my NGD (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4164&p=49090#p49090). At the time I was posting, I went back to Slickdeals to confirm the sale price I paid for the guitar, where I searched by "EVH." I shouldn't have done that because I saw that Adorama was selling the EVH 5150 III LBX-S for $479 (normally $750). I had already been thinking about finding a used one on GC or Reverb so there was no way I wasn't pulling the trigger. Although I did sleep on it for a day or two. By then I was in PA for a wedding so I bought it and had it shipped to my daughter's place.

I came home from my trip Tuesday night and received the amp from my daughter yesterday. Today I was finally able to plug it in and have a go and HOLY CATS DOES IT CHUG. I think I'm gonna need a second noise gate for the effects loop. It's really fun though - even at 1/4 power. (It's a 15W amp so that's like 3W and change.) On the red channel, I think this amp has the most gain of any amp I've owned, including the Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 head I had for about a year (complete idiot for selling that!). No OD or distortion required. It definitely pairs well with the EVH guitar. Bonus points for the internal LEDs (green for "clean" and red for "full burn").

Weeeee!...
20230831_201022.jpg
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
"Perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break."
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

That is some amp! Congrats and enjoy. Peavey still cranking out the goodness.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

HNAD!

My friend has the EVH 5150 Icon, the 40w to 10w combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30. He got it new on GC mistake last January, for $625. We were both amazed at the quality tones it could achieve. Probably gets my vote for 'most useful master volume' and thus, most 'credible cranked tone at lower volumes!'
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
RiverDog
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:35 am That is some amp! Congrats and enjoy. Peavey still cranking out the goodness.
Thanks! EVH is actually part of FMIC. You may be thinking of the original 5150 amps that were started at Peavey in the early 90s.
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
"Perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break."
RiverDog
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:44 am HNAD!

My friend has the EVH 5150 Icon, the 40w to 10w combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30. He got it new on GC mistake last January, for $625. We were both amazed at the quality tones it could achieve. Probably gets my vote for 'most useful master volume' and thus, most 'credible cranked tone at lower volumes!'
Yeah man, this thing has a killer master volume.
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

If I was ever going to buy an EVH 5150III series amp, it would be this one. HNAD!

Repeat after me: GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNN!
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Turn it to burn-est! Happy NAD!
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
RiverDog
Reactions:

Thanks dudes!
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

Very nice congrats on a great score
jtcnj
Reactions:

Congrats and enjoy!
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.