NAD Orange Rockerverb 50 Combo (Neo)

Mr. Leyvatone
Reactions:
Gearlist: 5 Agiles, 5 SX, assorted other guitars and gear.

Several years ago I was out to see a local cover band. At one point I was ear level, unobstructed and about 12 feet away from the guitarist’s rig. It was an Orange Rockerverb 50 head through a Mesa 4x12 cab.

It was simply the best tone I’ve ever heard. It slayed all the classic rock hits (my fav music). The tone was at once gritty, chimey and articulate. Chords were “chordal” yet every string’s note was clearly defined within.

The only embellishment he had was a boost pedal for solos. Nice dude, killer player. Awesome rig.

In the ensuing years I have acquired a bunch of gear, always chasing the perfect classic rock through 90’s rock tones in my head. I felt like I was close, but never quite there.

Add to that the fact that I currently play guitar and bass in a LOUD bar band (ie, super loud rehearsals) where there is little inclination to run guitars through the PA to improve overall balance. So a ripping loud amp is not a bad thing to have.

My primary amp for that scenario has been a Tonemaster Twin Reverb with one or two dirt pedals in front. Certainly not bad.

Today I got the amp of my dreams! An Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III Neo.

Orange has been making the Rockerverb for 20 years now. The third generation has been around for a while. The “Neo” is the latest thing. A thinner birch cabinet (still substantial) and Celestion Neo Creambacks (made in England), eliminate 20 percent of the weight from this notoriously heavy amp.

It arrived today. I plugged in and, as expected, immediately got glorious tones out of both channels with little fuss.

Let me unpack both of the previous points:

Tone
I know not everyone wants to replicate that AC/DC, GNR, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Alice In Chains vibe…but a lot of us do. For those of us, this is seriously perfect tone. Chimey cleans, and the best dirt channel possible.

Ease Of Use
I have a Mesa amp that is built like a tank and is capable of some amazing, searing lead tones. But it’s a beast to dial in, and when it’s not on point it’s really not on point. The Orange is the opposite. Very simple control layout, and easy to dial in. For example, once you’re cooking on some Zep, just dial up the gain a notch to nail some Skynyrd, Free, Bad Co. Another notch and it’s Oasis territory (watch for flying f bombs). Beyond that it’s GNR then AIC. Mind you, that’s all by adjusting the gain a notch or two at a time. Doing that doesn’t require resetting the entire tone stack each time. Maybe just a bump in volume to compensate for the reduced gain.

Functionality
50 watts, 2x12 combo.
Switchable: channels, reverb, attenuator.

Attenuator
Once you have set the tone for each channel you have the option to attenuate the volume. This is after the power section so you can get the power tubes cooking as part of your tone and still have control over the volume.
One obvious purpose is to set the volume for the particular room. The other option is to set the lead volume with the attenuator off, then back it off to rhythm volume with the attenuator. The footswitch lets you toggle between the two levels.

There are a few good demos on Youtube, mostly leaning a bit too heavy for my taste. To really experience this you need to be in the room feeling the power and hearing the clarity. I am in tonal bliss! First gig with it is on Saturday. 🍊😎
56B1AC73-39FA-4A8A-BEE1-2571541DAD36.jpeg
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Congrats on the new amp, sounds like you are very happy with it. I had the Rocker 30 head back in the day and it was an awesome amp. I sold it to a young guy and he was tickled to death to get it. I kept the Orange 1x12 cabinet and it is still one of the best sounding cabinets I have ever owned. It is loaded with a V30 and I use it exclusively with a Luker boutique head. Orange definitely makes some good stuff.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
LancerTheGreat
Reactions:
Gearlist: -Guitars-
Gibson Dave Mustaine Flying V EXP
ESP LTD DV8R Dave Mustaine Signature Model
ESP LTD V401DX
Agile AL3100
Kit Explorer
Jackson JS32RR
TWANG Tele
Samick Strat
Firefly Semi-Hollow Tele
Globe Dove Copy

-Amps-
Orange OR-15 (Head)
EVH 112 (Cabinet)
Bugera 1960 Infinium (Head)
Bugera 412 (Cabinet)
Peavey VTX Classic 212 (Combo)
Laney Mini-ST Lionheart Practice Amp

Congrats!! Always wanted a Rockerverb head, settled for the OR15 and I love it.
Welcome to the Orange side 😈
~Formerly LookingDownTheCross~
glasshand
Reactions:

Welcome to the Orange family! I got a Crush Pro 120 a few years back and have never found anything else I liked as much. I kept going back to it at Guitar Center to try it out, and when I finally bought one, the other guitarist in my band nodded and said, "I knew you were going to get one eventually." I have since tried gigging with Marshalls and Voxes and they don't last but the Orange does.

I keep casting an envious eye at the new OR30, but that might have to wait until I'm feeling rich.
golem
Reactions:

Nice. NGL saw someone trying to trade two Orange heads (including the head version of this) for one high gain and tried to trade my Dual Rec for it. We'll see if they take me up on it. I think I'd be getting the better end of the deal, but I think my Mesa is a good example of what they're looking for.