NAD Holy Grail!!??

tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I have been searching for a Made in America 15W EL84 based amp that is not too big but with a 12" speaker. It proved to be a difficult search. There are some boutique offerings out there but I need my arm and leg. I am a huge fan of all things Gibson and as I was searching for amps I saw some old Gibson amps from the 40's or 50's and I had the thought it was a shame that Gibson did not continue to compete in the amp world.

It was at that moment that I remembered that Gibson had purchased Trace Elliot in the 90's and for a brief period rebadged and made some nice tube guitar amps. I remembered looking at them and they were super expensive so I refrained. They quickly disappeared as they sold off the effort to Kaman, I think. Whatever happened they went away and I cannot ever remember seeing one in the wild in a band. I saw some new ones back then at a few stores but the price was too high for me. So I did a search for Gibson Goldtone amps and several came up. I quickly figured out the the GA15RV had everything I was looking for. Made in America, 15W, manageable weight and size, Celestion V30, tank reverb and even more. It is switchable between triode or low output and pentode high output. It also has a bright / normal switch in addition to the tone control.

It just arrived and I put it through the gears. It is the comparable in size and weight of a C30. There is a stark difference in power with triode and pentode switch. Same for the bright/normal switch. I actually sounds a lot like a C30 with more of a Vox edge to the chime, especially in the bright mode. Not enough that is sounds so good but it just drips mojo vibe. It looks awesome and so vintage. The gold grill and corners pop. I could not be happier. I bought it from a guy in Nashville. It was priced under $1000, I made an offer well under the asking and he took it. This just may be my Holy Grail amp.
Gibson Goldtone.jpg
Gibson Goldtone 2.jpg
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

I did some YouTubing. No emoji can convey the awe I have for this amp. HNAD!
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

He offers...HE SCORES!!!

Major Congrats Tonebender. :)
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Thanks, this has to be the best kept secret in the amp world. The more I play it, the more I like it. This amp just made several expendable. I have never been this excited about an amp and I have had some serious stuff over the years.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
SamIV
Reactions:

Happy new Gibson Amp Day. Nothing wrong with getting something you like.
JeffBeck
Reactions:

Nice score! HNAD! It's great when you get EXACTLY what you were after and it's as good as you thought it would be.
CyFan
Reactions:
Gearlist: Wildwood Select Gibson 50's Orginal
Partscaster (AMAZING)strat
Taylor 214ce-k
Marshall JVM 410c
Headrush Looperboard
Wazacraft Boss Bluesdriver
Wampler Tumnus Deluxe
Keeley Compressor+
Boss NS-2
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail

I've often wondered about that era of Gibson amps. Congrats man, that's cool!