Earlier speaker break-up = low efficiency?

mickey
Reactions:

golem wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:17 am I was under the impression that efficiency was mostly connected to how loud it gets for the amount of power you put it. I like low efficiency speakers because I'm a hobbyist and controlling amp volumes. I tend to go with speakers that don't break up easily as I find them more versatile. When I had speaker breakup to the equation I find it harder to control and don't find it plays well with all pedals. I don't really think there's a right or wrong answer though generally. I've genuinely liked some tones from speakers that break up earlier.
Technically, speaker efficency is how loud a speaker is with a set power level tone at 1 kHz applied.
Gandalf the Intonationer
mozz
Reactions:

Yes, you are right.
Screenshot_20230509-130800.png

You can actually have a efficient speaker that's low wattage or high wattage. There's a point of no return, it may handle 200w but need many watts to be heard. They also distort themselves but you'd be hard pressed to find that spec.
AGF refugee
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

The most efficient speaker (wolfer) I remember was 102dB and the least was 94dB measured at 1 watt, 1 meter (about 3 feet) and at 1kHz sine wave. 6dB difference is considered the standard where most people notice a change in volume. However, most players I know can tell a 100dB speaker sounds louder than a 97dB speaker, when played together.

Assuming linear frequency response (not a realistic assumption), a lower efficiency speaker can be pushed harder to achieve the same loudness as a higher efficiency speaker and will theoretically have amp output breakup sooner. The coil gap in the magnet has a lot to do with efficiency, leading to the condition that @mozz mentioned about higher wattage handling speakers requiring more power to make them move.

'Speaker breakup' is more about the speaker components, to which efficiency is often a by-product. A speaker with a thin, light cone, light coil former and low compliance suspension will break-up sooner AND be more efficient, as it takes less power to make it move (but takes more power to keep it linear). Conversely, a heavy cone (hemp for example), heavy former, stiff suspension will take longer to break up. This all assumes identical magnet strength and coil gap. A lighter magnet will let the speaker distort faster.

The ohms rating plays into it as well, but I haven't totally figured that out yet when it applies to the speaker efficiency, favored frequencies and when it distorts. I do know that for tube amps, having a 16 ohm load and the amp transformer set to 16 ohms makes the output transformer more efficient, as it is a closer match to the high impedance of the tubes, resulting in less transmission loss. So a 16 ohm setting will be louder and more full frequency than an 8 ohm or 4 ohm.

So many variables and options. I say try things until something works for you, regardless of internet wisdom.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob