5 watt Bugera thru weber 12a125-O

Partscaster
Reactions:

I am getting a blues band going...older style, harmonica guy is good, Little Walter, John Mayall Bluesbreakers, Sonny Boy Williams, ..type sounds,..harder rock/blues if it works out.
Will mostly play at a brewery that wants a bigger band sound than current acoustic single and duel acts. But they dont want too much volume,...until perhaps later when outside gazebo/deck area is built.
Drummer will have to use brushes and stuff his bass drum.

So i decided to try my 5watt Bugera Infinium thru a weber 12a125-O speaker in a cabinet, which is a 20w, 12", smaller 11oz alnico mag, Jensen 50's style speaker with smooth voice cone, no ribs.
It is described to break up early. Today I've set it up for first time, with the Bugera low gain setting turned up a bit, no extra gain button used. The extra gain button seems a bit too crunchy.
I am getting a really nice warm low breakup sound at fairly moderate volumes, and can get quite loud with it as I ease back the gain knob to keep similar tone.

Anyhow, I thought the idea of having a speaker with an early breakup cone would be good to report about, as this sound seems ideal for "bedroom" level breakup. Loud bedroom.
Weber has many versions of their 12a125 ( 12", alnico, with 1.25" voice coil) and the varying cone style option is reflected in a final letter. H-hemp cone, O- smooth cone, A-moderate ribbed woody voice, S- a little heavier ribbed, etc

anyhow. ...there it is. 12a125-O.
Very enjoyable breakup sounds, plugged straight in 5w Bugera, at moderate volume.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

Is there supposed to be a link or a pic?
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
Partscaster
Reactions:

LightWingStudios wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:33 am Is there supposed to be a link or a pic?
No, its just a speaker in a cab with a little tube head on it...plus my nice LP Tribute
I'd better take a pic.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Partscaster
Reactions:

https://www.tedweber.com/12a125-o/
IMG_0541.jpeg
For early to mid 50’s tweed Deluxe, replaces Chicago Jensen mid 50’s P12Q with the straight cone.

12″, 11oz AlNiCo magnet, 20 watts, 1-1/4″ voice coil, straight cone. Warm, crunchy, early breakup, aggressive. This speaker has a thin cone with no ribs for a very crunchy tone. It can flub out if you push it with heavy chords on the neck pickup, so if articulation is what you are after, then this is not the right one. Very popular with harmonica players for a gritty blues sound.

IMG_0542.jpeg
IMG_0542.jpeg (58.89 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

In today's ability to adjust levels with a PA system and for the gig you describe, this seems perfect.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Partscaster
Reactions:

Being my current fave lp, and the one I'll use most with that speaker, I thought I'ld throw in a pic of this 2018 Tribute I have dolled up to my tastes. It has some very nice low wind PAF style pups. One piece body. No weight relief(2018 only), 8lbs 7oz before bigsby. 1/8th inch thinner body than standard. Had it for a while, stuffed away while I accumulated SX Callisto's. Soon, I am going to forever personalize it by branding it with the buffalo brand.

IMG_0544.jpg
Partscaster
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:01 am In today's ability to adjust levels with a PA system and for the gig you describe, this seems perfect.
Its awesome at home too. I think folks out on the road might not hear anything while I am in a well filled room.