TRAYNOR YCV40-WR

toomanycats
Reactions:

In the rehearsal room where I meet weekly with the group of young buck musicians I've recently joined up with there's all sorts of equipment laying around, some of it purchased by the drummer and his father in a large lot from a guy getting out of the gigging biz. Amongst that equipment, which I took notice of early on, was what looked like an older Traynor amp. I'd heard of Traynor over the years, and specifically remember @tonebender speaking very highly of them. I'd never played one, didn't know what model this one was, and hadn't even taken the time to inspect it.

Well, last night at the end of rehearsal, while the other guys were preoccupied writing up a new set list for our weekend gigs, I walked over to the Traynor, pulled it out of the corner, plugged in my guitar, and turned it on. Wow! What incredible lush cleans and amazingly smooth, buttery overdrive.

I immediately made a cash offer to the drummer for this amp, which he said he'd think about. Next time I see him, if he hasn't already responded to my offer, I'll up the ante. I want this amp!

It is a YCV40-WR, the one in oxblood red with a Celestion Vintage 30 and two 5881WXT beam power tubes. I'm guessing it's from the early 2000s. If you've played one you'll understand why I want it. 8-)

489074000025000-00-750x750.jpg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Milkman
Reactions:

I've got a Traynor YCS50 and it does EVERYTHING I need it to do.

Tryanor's are Canadian, and pretty much every Canadian guitarist has had one at some point. They are available 'round here for obscenely low prices and really can't be beat. In fact I got mine for $400 CAD. It's crazy.

Congrats on the score... you will love it, and it will last you as long as you need it.

As an aside, parts are very available (up here anyway) and are also ridiculously inexpensive.

By the way... those specific amps are still available brand new here for $1449 CAD.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/3148/Guita ... ne-Red.htm

Here's a photo of my amp:

"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013
toomanycats
Reactions:

Milkman wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:35 pm I've got a Traynor YCS50 and it does EVERYTHING I need it to do.

Tryanor's are Canadian, and pretty much every Canadian guitarist has had one at some point. They are available 'round here for obscenely low prices and really can't be beat. In fact I got mine for $400 CAD. It's crazy.

Congrats on the score... you will love it, and it will last you as long as you need it.

As an aside, parts are very available (up here anyway) and are also ridiculously inexpensive.

By the way... those specific amps are still available brand new here for $1449 CAD.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/3148/Guita ... ne-Red.htm

Here's a photo of my amp:

Technically I haven't scored it yet, but believe me, I'm working ion it. :D
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

I can attest to @Milkman 's amp bringing the heat (especially with his magic Strat). Traynor makes great stuff.

I keep fighting the urge to buy a Custom Special head. 100 watts (droppable to 30), 3 channels, anything from mild to wild. There is one for sale here in town for $450. I just don't need it -- these days if I play, it's through a modeler.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
Milkman
Reactions:

Well, @toomanycats did you get the amp or what?

Your post inspired me to fire up my amp for the first time in quite a while, and I fell in love with it agin! Channel 2 (clean) with and without some dirt in front is just so sweeet. This amp has to be on the 50 Watt setting (not 15W) to sound good on the drive channel, but that’s okay….. loud is good.
"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013
toomanycats
Reactions:

Milkman wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:13 am Well, @toomanycats did you get the amp or what?

Your post inspired me to fire up my amp for the first time in quite a while, and I fell in love with it agin! Channel 2 (clean) with and without some dirt in front is just so sweeet. This amp has to be on the 50 Watt setting (not 15W) to sound good on the drive channel, but that’s okay….. loud is good.
Haven't scored the Traynor yet. This past Tuesday is when I went ga ga over it at practice, and I haven't seen the drummer who owns it since. But I'll see him tonight, as we have a gig.

My plan is to wait until next Tuesday at practice, where I'll pull out a wad of cash and dangle it in front of his face. I find that to be a very effective strategy to get hesitant sellers off the fence. :D
pdcorlis
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:11 am
Milkman wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:13 am Well, @toomanycats did you get the amp or what?

Haven't scored the Traynor yet. This past Tuesday is when I went ga ga over it at practice, and I haven't seen the drummer who owns it since. But I'll see him tonight, as we have a gig.

My plan is to wait until next Tuesday at practice, where I'll pull out a wad of cash and dangle it in front of his face. I find that to be a very effective strategy to get hesitant sellers off the fence. :D
May all that cabbage swing the deal - best of luck!
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Traynor has always been tops for me. I never owned any of the modern amps but I had 4-5 vintage heads both bass and guitar and a vintage Guitar Mate Combo with a 12" Celestion. The old YBA heads I had are basically a Fender Bassman circuit which is close to a Plexi as well. Those babies had transformers in them so massive that when you picked up the head by the handle it would tilt to the end with the tranny. The bass heads were awesome for guitar but my favorite was the Guitar Mate head, same tone but with luscious spring/tank reverb. There are amps with tone as good but none better in my opinion. One had four inputs, two were warm and bassy and the other two were ice pick clean. You could put a jumper across them and dial in whatever tone you wanted. It was amazing. Pete Traynor used to build his amps so they could drop them from the loading dock and they would survive. They were tanks. I tried those new ones like yours in the store and I agree with your assessment.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
notme
Reactions:

My ycv50 just rocks......picked it up for a song years ago
SamIV
Reactions:

Used to own a YCS50 as well. Really don’t know why I sold it. Cleans were great and almost Fender like. Over drive was very Marshall like. Once again, really don’t know why I sold hit. Bought it new for $550 as well.
backinit
Reactions:

Another YCS50 (head) owner here. It's the best amp I own. It does it all for me.