NAD - Bugera V5 Infinium

Lamf77
Reactions:

Popped up on OfferUp last night. Seller had no price listed, so I messaged and asked what she was looking to get. She said she was accepting offers and was not picky. I offered $50, and when there was no cord.....grabbed it for $45.

A great little tube amp. .1W, 1W and 5W built in power attenuator lets me adjust for most home volumes. Not sure about a possible speaker swap....keep original for now.Image

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

AnotherJim
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile 3010 SE, Epiphone LP Studio, Fender MIM Strat and Tele, Squier Stagemaster, Squier Standard, Peavey Rotor, Samick Arts SG

Great price. They seem to be well regarded as do the V22’s for the price
bc rich
Reactions:

Great grab , was surprised to see that they are now $260 new . 'Speaker out' is a plus .
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Great little amp as-is, and you got a steal. I liked mine even better after I swapped the speaker for a Celestion Eight 15. I have also run it with an external 12" cabinet and it punches up a weight class just great.
Partscaster
Reactions:

I have the head version. its a good amp.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Flatline
Reactions:

Nice that is a great score for $45.
dabbler
Reactions:

Mine isn't an Infinium (I might be a little jealous) but I DO love my Bugera 5 watter (bought new a while back). It sits in my family room along with a handful of guitars and basses that I can pick up and jam with whenever I want. :D
Lamf77
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote:Great little amp as-is, and you got a steal. I liked mine even better after I swapped the speaker for a Celestion Eight 15. I have also run it with an external 12" cabinet and it punches up a weight class just great.
Celestion 8/15.....going to look into. Did you stick with 4 ohm?

BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Lamf77 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:35 am Celestion 8/15.....going to look into. Did you stick with 4 ohm?

Yes, 4 ohms.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Nice grab!

My best friend, who is a bass player who dabbles in guitar, wanted a Fender blackface tone about 8 years ago. I talked him into a Bugera Infinum V22 head, which he got for around $350 new. Great amp out of the box, even better with a set of Sylvania 6L6 biased a little hotter. It absolutely got the Blackface vibe on the clean channel and took pedals well.

These are great value for a home player. For a gigging musician, they had reliability problems for a while. I've heard they've addressed that.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Lamf77
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:48 pm Nice grab!

My best friend, who is a bass player who dabbles in guitar, wanted a Fender blackface tone about 8 years ago. I talked him into a Bugera Infinum V22 head, which he got for around $350 new. Great amp out of the box, even better with a set of Sylvania 6L6 biased a little hotter. It absolutely got the Blackface vibe on the clean channel and took pedals well.

These are great value for a home player. For a gigging musician, they had reliability problems for a while. I've heard they've addressed that.
It is a bit dark, but not bad. Some refer to the V5, non-Infinium version as being too dark. I was reading on mods, something about the tone pots and parallel caps....but they were for the V5 version.
I made an offer of $25 on a Weber Signature 8"....will swap in for kicks.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Lamf77 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:01 pm

It is a bit dark, but not bad. Some refer to the V5, non-Infinium version as being too dark. I was reading on mods, something about the tone pots and parallel caps....but they were for the V5 version.
I just glanced at the schematic of the Bugera V5 and I think the only difference is the power scaling. I think the signal path is essentially the same and noticed the values of the blocking caps are a bit big, as are the cathode by-pass caps on the preamp tubes. Since the B+ voltage is not enough to swing those low notes and the transformer is too small to handle the power, it would sound dark and saggy. Change the caps to lower uF values and perhaps add a 150pF bright cap across lugs #3 & #2 of the volume pot and it will sound tighter-brighter.
Lamf77
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:35 pm
Lamf77 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:01 pm

I just glanced at the schematic of the Bugera V5 and I think the only difference is the power scaling. I think the signal path is essentially the same and noticed the values of the blocking caps are a bit big, as are the cathode by-pass caps on the preamp tubes. Since the B+ voltage is not enough to swing those low notes and the transformer is too small to handle the power, it would sound dark and saggy. Change the caps to lower uF values and perhaps add a 150pF bright cap across lugs #3 & #2 of the volume pot and it will sound tighter-brighter.
I saw a picture on how to put the caps across the volume pots. I am attaching to see if it is correct. Not sure I want to tackle anything more difficult. Gonna swap in a JJ Power Tube and Tung-Sol 12AX7 I have along with the Weber Speaker when it arrive. See how it sounds. Thanks for the advice @andrewsrea !
Attachments
v5 bright cap.jpg
Friedl
Reactions:

I have the head version. I swapped the 12ax7 out for a Sylvania, I think. The el84 is still stock. Sounds great into a 2x12.
2nd-year bassist for about 30 years
andrewsrea
Reactions:

Lamf77 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:02 pm
I saw a picture on how to put the caps across the volume pots. I am attaching to see if it is correct. Not sure I want to tackle anything more difficult. Gonna swap in a JJ Power Tube and Tung-Sol 12AX7 I have along with the Weber Speaker when it arrive. See how it sounds. Thanks for the advice @andrewsrea !
Yes - that works. 250pF - work one lead/lug at a time - work fast as not to over heat the solder trace. They tend to break and lift if overheated.

With a clean soldering iron and the cap ready to go in, dab a little solder on the tip of the iron, drop the solder, put the capacitor lead in position and touch it and the volume pot lug with the iron to get the solder flowing. Then remove the heat without moving the cap. Repeat for the other lead and trim excess lead after the solder cools.
Lamf77
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:32 pm
Lamf77 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:02 pm
Yes - that works. 250pF - work one lead/lug at a time - work fast as not to over heat the solder trace. They tend to break and lift if overheated.

With a clean soldering iron and the cap ready to go in, dab a little solder on the tip of the iron, drop the solder, put the capacitor lead in position and touch it and the volume pot lug with the iron to get the solder flowing. Then remove the heat without moving the cap. Repeat for the other lead and trim excess lead after the solder cools.
Thanks! Like the Gibson shirt too!