New Amp Day

SXLuvr
Reactions:

I got a 5 watt Monoprice Stage Right tube amp, it’s the first tube amp I ever own. And it’s the best sounding amp I’ve ever owned. It has two settings, one for 5 watts and one for 1 watt. I mostly keep it on the 1 watt setting, that’s loud enough for my bedroom.

I have a Donner Noise Gate, a Tech21 Comptortion, and a Tech21 XXL overdrive/distortion pedal hooked up to it.

Here’s a pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jhull54
Reactions:

Congrats! New amp...ah, the feeling.
JeffBeck
Reactions:

Nice, I've heard those are nice little amps. You're not likely to get lost fiddling with the controls, either.

HNAD!
fatjack
Reactions:

Well hope you enjoy yours at least half as much as I enjoy mine. I mugged them when I got mine 20% off and free shipping with no tax. I've considdered a lower gain tube in the v1 position but keep holding off. The one thing that made a huge difference in the sound was a cabinet with a 12" speaker, sounds much bigger. You could use the came cab speaker for your Hotone I spied. It does get more than loud enough for bedroom practice.
SXLuvr
Reactions:

fatjack wrote:Well hope you enjoy yours at least half as much as I enjoy mine. I mugged them when I got mine 20% off and free shipping with no tax. I've considdered a lower gain tube in the v1 position but keep holding off. The one thing that made a huge difference in the sound was a cabinet with a 12" speaker, sounds much bigger. You could use the came cab speaker for your Hotone I spied. It does get more than loud enough for bedroom practice.
Thanks for the tips, fatjack, I may do that.

SXLuvr
Reactions:

Jhull54 and JeffBeck, thanks for the replies, guys!

JeffBeck
Reactions:

[mention]SXLuvr[/mention] I'm a fan of small tube amps like that. I was tempted to order one a little while back, but I just straight up don't need, and can't justify acquiring one. So, I have to live vicariously through you! You're making me want to go look up reviews/demos of them on youtube.
fatjack
Reactions:

[mention]JeffBeck[/mention] I belive our own nick souza has a youtube on it I know he does on th 15 watter. If I recall correctly he gifted the 5 to his dad or F I L who enjoys it.
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:
Gearlist: Let's talk about my Eko's...

That’s a really cool amp! Congratulations
In the Midnight Hour she Cried MoMoMo
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I always put cooler preamp tubes in my amps.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

HNAD!!!
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
aullucci
Reactions:

fatjack wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:53 pm Well hope you enjoy yours at least half as much as I enjoy mine. I mugged them when I got mine 20% off and free shipping with no tax. I've considdered a lower gain tube in the v1 position but keep holding off. The one thing that made a huge difference in the sound was a cabinet with a 12" speaker, sounds much bigger. You could use the came cab speaker for your Hotone I spied. It does get more than loud enough for bedroom practice.
I don't know if I got mine during the same sale, but I got the same deal (Monoprice is always throwing 20% off something). I run mine through a 1x12 too, tho I never thought the internal speaker sounded all that bad. I did swap the tubes in both positions. I don't know if I had a bad or noisy power tube originally, because swapping the power tube made a huge difference in clarity (I honestly don't remember what's in it, but it's some NOS GE tube I think). I played with the preamp tubes too, but it had less effect. Tried a 5751 and a few different 12AX7, stuck with one of the 12AX7, but again I don't remember which.

It's perfect for what I use it for: low powered, low volume clean platform for pedals. I like 5 watt mode, with the volume around 11 ish; it's a little louder than the television, but really rich and full sounding clean. I never really crank the amp loud enough to break up that much (which is probably why the preamp tube swaps mattered less to my ears), I get dirt from pedals. And because I dont' use amp gain, I don't care that it doesn't have a loop. Enjoy!
SXLuvr
Reactions:

JeffBeck wrote:[mention]SXLuvr[/mention] I'm a fan of small tube amps like that. I was tempted to order one a little while back, but I just straight up don't need, and can't justify acquiring one. So, I have to live vicariously through you! You're making me want to go look up reviews/demos of them on youtube.
Hey JeffBeck, I would put up a sound clip or video or something, but I’m not very good @ that :(

SXLuvr
Reactions:

Okay, I couldn’t resist. Here’s some noodling with the tone I’m digging from it right now. And I also get my dirt from a Tech21 XXL and a Tech21 CompTortion. It’s on the 1 watt setting with the volume @ about 8 O:Clock. Please excuse my sneeze @ the end :o

https://youtu.be/cWKGMk3KOkk

peskypesky
Reactions:

nothing quite like the sound of a tube amp

I have a similar amp. The Vox AC4TV8. Love it.

Banned by Momo
SXLuvr
Reactions:

peskypesky wrote:nothing quite like the sound of a tube amp

I have a similar amp. The Vox AC4TV8. Love it.

Nice :)

SXLuvr
Reactions:

fatjack wrote:Well hope you enjoy yours at least half as much as I enjoy mine. I mugged them when I got mine 20% off and free shipping with no tax. I've considdered a lower gain tube in the v1 position but keep holding off. The one thing that made a huge difference in the sound was a cabinet with a 12" speaker, sounds much bigger. You could use the came cab speaker for your Hotone I spied. It does get more than loud enough for bedroom practice.
I hooked up the Randall RG8 speaker cab I have to the Monoprice, and it does sound a lot better. Thanks for the tip, fatjack!

SXLuvr
Reactions:

Here’s pic