New Acoustic build - types of wood questions

thepezident
Reactions:
Gearlist: I got stuff

The college I work for has a luthier school.
I asked my 17yr old son if he would be interested in making an acoustic with his pops.
To my surprise, he said yes....Now, we havent officially signed up yet...But him saying yes was yuge.

He wants to build his own rather than he and I both build one single guitar. He asked about different woods and said he'd like a darker top.
He didnt want a light top like 99% of guitars have.

Here are some questions.
1. Why can we not build the guitar with the traditional darker woods that go on the back and install them on the front? And put the spruce on the sides and back?
2. What are some good woods that are fairly inexpensive and are darker in color that would work for a front?

Since I know the guys....I can pretty much order whatever wood I want (and pay for it) and we can build it.
If I use the provided wood, I think we have to pay $280 to build the guitar. Tuition/fees are waived for the kid and I.

I need to post all the pics I've taken this semester...But here are some darker colored guitars that have been built here.
IMG_20231212_142611.jpg
IMG_20231201_112505.jpg
IMG_20231208_135519.jpg
Partscaster
Reactions:

I'm guessing there is no reason you cant do it, other than the tonal results may be different.
Mahogany and Koa are darker woods used sometimes for back/side and for tops...I'm not sure about both at once. I'm no luthier.

this thread seemed interesting along those lines:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/for ... p?t=599101

someone mentioned bracing design may be equally as impactful on tone as wood selection.
I imagine they could be compatibly designed... certain bracing style specific to effect top tone ,one way or another, to compliment top selection and top thinning methods. Good geekery going on, it seems.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I have come to love acoustic guitars made of all mahogany. I have a Koa Mini Taylor that sounds nice too but is till a little bright. To me the darker mid-rangy tone accompanies vocals better for an acoustic show. Sometimes a really bright spruce top rosewood sides and back acoustic will have a lot of high pitch frequency overtones just getting in the way. That said every now and again I pick up a spruce top acoustic that is nice and warm. That happened a couple weeks ago with a used Breedlove in the Ocala GC. My 90's Tak Sante Fe has a cedar top and it is wonderful.

Sounds like an awesome project for you and your son. I wish I had both a son and access to a luthier shop with the tools it takes to build an acoustic.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
mickey
Reactions:

I can't remember ever seeing a guitar with a rosewood top, so that must not work well in that application?
Gandalf the Intonationer
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Sometimes I think my favorite acoustic is my all mahogany Martin - front, back, sides, and neck are all mahogany. It's a bit too dark sounding for accompanying a vocalist, but on its own it is a tone monster.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:22 am Sometimes I think my favorite acoustic is my all mahogany Martin - front, back, sides, and neck are all mahogany. It's a bit too dark sounding for accompanying a vocalist, but on its own it is a tone monster.
^^^^^^^ This

I have two all mahogany Martin acoustics, one full size and one parlor. The parlor actually has the darkest tone.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
ILuvTeles
Reactions:

Another thumbs up for all mahogany!
thepezident
Reactions:

I'll need to ask cost on all mahogany..
tonebender
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:06 am I can't remember ever seeing a guitar with a rosewood top, so that must not work well in that application?
@mickey This popped up this morning on my work computer. Rosewood back and sides with a redwood top. I suppose the ads pop up because I am guilty of looking at guitars on that computer. LOL. Good thing the company I work for is fine with that.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... n-rosewood
mickey
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:11 am
mickey wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:06 am I can't remember ever seeing a guitar with a rosewood top, so that must not work well in that application?
@mickey This popped up this morning on my work computer. Rosewood back and sides with a redwood top. I suppose the ads pop up because I am guilty of looking at guitars on that computer. LOL. Good thing the company I work for is fine with that.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... n-rosewood
Oh, that's a Taylor & they build [sic]guitars out of shipping crates. DOH! :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
thepezident
Reactions:

1000007731.jpeg
Got Myrtlewood tops for our guitars.
Building starts in 2 weeks.
mickey
Reactions:

That is going to be beautiful!!!!!!!! (If you don't screw it up!) :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
tonebender
Reactions:

I was gassing hard for Myrtlewood Breedlove over the holidays. I must have played a dozen or more but could not find one that spoke to me. But the quest did lead me to pick up another all mahogany Martin and a Gibson that has walnut back and sides. The neck is made of utile which they say is mahogany-like. It looks more like walnut though. The Myrtlewood guitars are beautiful and I cannot wait to see yours.
thepezident
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:22 am That is going to be beautiful!!!!!!!! (If you don't screw it up!) :D
Thanks for the............encouragement?
:D