** Upate** Carbon Fiber "Klos" acoustic electric?

tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Last night, after promising to do so for months, our old beater Fender acoustic electric finally bit the dust at band practice. Through a municipal website my wife gets wicked deals on many products - one of which is Klos guitars. They are carbon fiber. I can get a $1,200 for $850 (the regular guitar, not the travel model).

Do I need an $850 guitar? No. We need another beater but the Klos deal is intriguing and has been brought up as a Christmas present. I wouldn't play it much except at the practice space. My brain is telling me "no," but the red guy on my shoulder says "grab it."

Input appreciated.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
mickey
Reactions:

Never heard of Klos guitars before but I've met several different brands of carbon fiber guitars and they all share a few traits:

To my ear, they are more shrill sounding than I like.
You could use them in a barfight without damage to the guitar
Need a boat paddle, it would work
GREAT campfire guitars for camping trips.
Carry it around in the trunk of your car in all weathers without a case WITHOUT WORRY.

In other words, it will probably outlast you! You can't hurt them, tho I guess they would guess they would burn?
But I do not like how they sound.
YMMV
Gandalf the Intonationer
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

A friend of mine has a Fender acoustic he hates, but he can't admit that because his wife gave it to him. I think he'd wish he was in your shoes right now. I'm not saying anything against all Fender acoustics, maybe some are great, I dunno, your story just rang a familiar bell.

When I'm on the fence about buying a guitar, I tend to wait it out. Reason might prevail that way, or I might find a more interesting deal during the wait. But if it sounds good to you, Christmas is a good time to jump.
t100d
Reactions:
Gearlist: '62 Guild T100D Slim Jim
'76 Ibanez 2405 Custom Agent
2004 Ibanez SA220EX
2009 Douglas WNO 630
2019 Peavey JF1
2021 Indio Retro Tele

'70 Gianninni Craviola

Córdoba Mini II EB-CE
Aria A542F
Takamine TC132SC
Rivera BC-394C

'70's Hohner PJ fretless bass
'84 Ibanez Roadstar II bass w/ SX Ursa neck

YouRock Midi guitar

Fender Acoustasonic 40
Fender Mustang III
Vox DA5
Monoprice 40W SS w/ 10" speaker

Washburn has some nice low-price acoustic/electrics, or you could take that money and get a Takamine with Cool Tube pre-amp—really good sound …
"Anyone who understands jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it."
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

'Bought a Epiphone Hummingbird instead. I couldn't justify the expense for the planned use.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Congrats on the new acoustic. I have an Epiphone Masterbilt acoustic and it is one fine guitar. I have looked really hard at a few carbon fiber guitars over the last few years but just never got the inch to pull the trigger.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

The Hummingbird sounds like a good move to me. I love the idea of a carbon fiber guitar, but I have yet to hear one that sounds as warm as one of my more traditionally made acoustics.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

You made a good choice Tommy.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Hard to go wrong there. HNAGD.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson