New (to me) Larrivee LV-03

JeffBeck
Reactions:

So earlier this week I got a lower end Takamine and absolutely hated it. Sounded like a toy compared to my (admittedly) bottom of the line Martin DX1.

I was telling a guy I work with about this on Thursday and he said, “Why don’t you send that thing back and I’ll sell you one I don’t play anymore (he just bought a very high end Martin and claims it’s his “forever” guitar. Told me his other acoustics are just gathering dust in a closet. Told me had a Larrivee that he thought would suit me pretty well. And he told me what price he wanted for
It. I’ll reveal that at the end.

I’d never even heard of the brand but I trust this guy. Then I started researching the brand and the specific model. Listened to as many clips as I could find. Cheapest one I could find was around $1,600.

He brought it to me today and told me to play it for a week or two to see if I like it. I had to head out of town straight from work for a friend’s wedding - so all I had the chance to do was tune it up and play for about twenty minutes.

From the first chord I was in love. Big, full and rich. Very woody also if that makes sense. Playing it seems effortless - it was somehow gentle on my fingers. I know that sounds odd but it’s the best way I can describe it.

Only got a few pics for now - I was really in a hurry. Had a 6.5 hour drive ahead of me.
34CA1EE5-8655-47B6-8FCA-22534BF3B711.jpeg
1346C4A2-B738-4063-9EAA-A4ECD24F1A55.jpeg
34CA1EE5-8655-47B6-8FCA-22534BF3B711.jpeg
ECE33FC7-5863-4C83-AEE4-9039ED082123.jpeg
Sorry about the repeat images. I’m doing this on my phone.

So, for full disclosure this top was originally spruce but was damaged. It was replaced with a solid Walnut top by Larrivee.

The price? $200.00. Really. I told him that was crazy but he said that’s what he wanted for it. The case alone goes for about $300 on Larrivee’s site.

Anyway - mind boggling deal aside - this might be my “forever” guitar. It’s special.
bleys21
Reactions:

Damn, I love the top on that. I think the walnut looks fantastic, and sounds like it enhanced that guitar as well. Pay $200 and pass Go, you got yourself a winner :-)
mickey
Reactions:

Jeff, for $200 I'd call that a gift! :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
JeffBeck
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:54 am Jeff, for $200 I'd call that a gift! :D
Absolutely. I’m still in a state of disbelief.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Larrivée and their brethren (Godin, Norman, Seagull) are all seriously good guitars, from low end to high. I have a Norman that I got for next to nothing that is great, and I can't imagine how wonderful a higher end one would be.

The fact that you got it for a song makes it even better. HNAGD!
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
Flatline
Reactions:

Very nice guitar and an even nicer friend.
Tiga
Reactions:

That thing looks amazing and I'll bet sounds even better. Congrats!
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

Congrats, that's a beauty. I've been focusing mostly on Acoustics myself lately, and Larrivee is truly one of the hidden gems out there. Most of the ones I've seen and played have pretty traditional woods though, that one is gorgeous with the Walnut.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
Forecaster
Reactions:

LaSiDo (Norman, Art & Luterie, Simon & Patrick, Godin & Seagull) doesn't make Larivee, but they may all come from Quebec. Wouldn't have have known if I didn't have a Norman. And yes, that is a ridiculous stroke of luck.