Alvarez Artist Series

aullucci
Reactions:

Any owners/users here who could chime in with personal experiences?

I've spent quarantine playing my acoustic way more than I ever have before, and my only acoustic currently is a parlor sized Gretsch. I like it, but being parlor sized has its limitations. I've slowly been trying to stop in a try as many different models as I can, because I have little experience with acoustics and there are a crap ton of them in my price range - I'm as cheap as it is possible for a human being to be, but I'd put my budget at $500 for discussion purposes. Based on my limited research, I've come to the following conclusions.

I don't like the dread shape, it's just not that comfy for me. I much prefer the grand auditorium shape for comfort. And I have the parlor, so I'm not trying to get a 000 or some other small body type.

I like the sound of every Yamaha I play, but my fat fingers do not love the necks. I played a few different of the 800 series and I really thought they sounded good. But the necks were not for me. I didn't care for either of the D'Angelicos I played. They looked great, sounded meh.

I liked almost all of the Breedloves I played. I thought they sounded great, looked great and felt great. I like the Seagull S6 too, but it's the wrong shape for me...

I kinda fell in love with the Alvarez Artist guitars (the AG60/70 models). They're like $400. And the only sub-$1000 guitar I played that I liked as much was one of the Alvarez Artist Elite, which is like $599. Solid cedar top, Macassar ebony back and sides. Looks a dream (see below). Played like it too.
image.png
image.png
So, while I wrestle with whether to choose between the regular artist and the Elite, I was hoping anyone else could chime in with their experiences. Are they as well built as they are good looking? Anything anyone can share is appreciated.
fullonshred
Reactions:

Pretty guitar. I have no experience with Alvarez other than 30 years ago reading/hearing they were Bang for the Buck contenders.
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

If you love it, buy it. Then, if you hate it, return it :)
aullucci
Reactions:

Gear_Junky wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:27 pm If you love it, buy it. Then, if you hate it, return it :)
That’s probably the right answer.

I should say I haven’t played any Eastman models and I know they’re also highly rated.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

I am a big fan of Alvarez/Yairi guitars. I currently don't own an Alvarez, but I do have a Yairi Dreadnaught Cutaway ( DY62-C ) that is my #1 acoustic ( I only have 2 so that's a 50/50 proposition )!

I have been checking out the artist series 12 strings though and at the same time checked out some of the 6 stringers from the Artist line and they are really nice guitars for the $$. I like the neck profiles too - very similar to a 59/50 LP neck - not too chunky but same nut width and such.

I have a deal in the works right now for a couple of Yairi's that I found in a "needle in the haystack" situation. It will be probably my most epic NUGD thread of all time if I can pull it off.

I would not hesitate to give one a try at all.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
aullucci
Reactions:

So I really did like that Alvarez but ended up with a PRS Angelus. I spent a long time, shopping a lot of guitars before I pulled the trigger. Now I love the PRS, but I'm certain I would have been happy with the Alvarez if I'd bought it. There was also a Breedlove that made me swoon. In that $500-1000 range, there are a LOT of great acoustics. There were a few Yamahas in that range that sounded wonderful (but the neck wasn't quite right for me). I played a few used Martins at the top of the range that were great. I really wanted to get my hands on an Eastman AC122 but I never had a chance. Their lower tier PCH was very good, too, and only like $300. And while I never really loved the sound of any of the Taylors I played, they're obviously well-built, quality instruments. Spoiled for choice indeed.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

aullucci wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:32 am Spoiled for choice indeed.
That is very true. Even amidst all the supply chain/covid/whatever craziness we are really spoiled when it comes to options for instruments at all price ranges. Glad you liked the PRS, I played several of those in my travels too and they do not disappoint, seems like the attention to detail that they have in the electric line carries over to the acoustics as well.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
aullucci
Reactions:

I know I need to do a proper NGD but I absolutely adore the neck on the PRS. That’s what sold it for me. Feels perfect under my fingers. There wasn’t anything wrong with the others but this one felt like home. I also think it’s gorgeous. Which helps. More than three months now and I’m still very much in the honeymoon.
AnotherJim
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile 3010 SE, Epiphone LP Studio, Fender MIM Strat and Tele, Squier Stagemaster, Squier Standard, Peavey Rotor, Samick Arts SG

Please post on your PRS and if you dont mid, what did you pay? I have not seen them in the GC or Alto music stores near me but would love to try one. I too am looking for an acoustic. I had my hands on 2 fender acoustics the other night and the cheapest of the 2, at $339, played and sounded beautiful
ronnx
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile, Squier, Ibanez, Italia, Fender., Peavey, Epiphone and Partscasters.

I had a couple of Alvarez acoustics over 20 years ago. I had a 6 string dreadnought and a 12 string. Both were good guitars for the money. But later I had an opportunity to play a couple of Alvarez Yairis and could not believe how much better they were. Nevertheless, I sold the ones ones I had. Note, I don't play a lot of acoustic. What I have now is a Ibanez ArtWood which I like a lot, and a Fender Malibu.