NGD - Flame On!

Post here your newest acquisitions and reviews of them.
slowhand84
Reactions:

New Year, same lust for Harley Benton Fusions with insanely figured roasted flame maple necks :lol: . I sold two Fusions that I had that were basically identical to ones I already owned, but the one Fusion model missing from my stable was an SSH model...so I've been keeping an eye out for one at GC Used. Managed to score this one for $225 a few days ago.

It's a tough competition between this one and my other (also satin blue) Fusion T for the "most insanely figured neck" award, but I really think this one takes it. Absolutely wild. Has all the usual specs - nyatoh body, roasted flame maple neck and board with stainless frets, push-pull on the tone knob to split the bridge humbucker, locking tuners, and Wilky bridge.

I have an SSH set of Bareknuckles lying around from a few years ago that'll go in here, but other than that it doesn't need anything. I think this is my 7th HB and I never fail to be absolutely blown away by what these guys offer at such a cheap price.

Some photos here, including one or two of this showstopper of a neck (as always, click for proper quality)...and I'll add a few clips in the next post below. Nothing fancy, just recorded with my Spark amp and my phone, but it sounds decent enough.
Attachments
IMG_8981.jpg
IMG_8985.jpg
IMG_8982.jpg
IMG_8984.jpg
IMG_9025.jpg
IMG_9022.jpg
slowhand84
Reactions:

And the clips, as promised:

A little riff:

A little lead:

A bit of cleans:
tobijohn
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:30 pm And the clips, as promised:
What amp (and effects, if any) are you using?
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
slowhand84
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:45 pm
slowhand84 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:30 pm And the clips, as promised:
What amp (and effects, if any) are you using?
Oh it's in my original post above, this is just my Spark 40 amp on my coffee table recorded with my iPhone :lol:. Obviously things would sound MUCH better with my actual rig, but the Spark is so convenient I tend to go for that more often than not when I need to record a quick clip or two.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

I wish a used one of these would pop up cheap nearby me. No such luck thus far. HNGD once again!
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
slowhand84
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:10 pm I wish a used one of these would pop up cheap nearby me. No such luck thus far. HNGD once again!
Yeah GC Used is really the spot, I got all 7 of my HBs there. I think if I recall you're not in the US though?
tobijohn
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:54 pm
Oh it's in my original post above, this is just my Spark 40 amp on my coffee table recorded with my iPhone :lol:. Obviously things would sound MUCH better with my actual rig, but the Spark is so convenient I tend to go for that more often than not when I need to record a quick clip or two.
I've heard of the Spark 40 but really knew nothing about it. That's pretty damn cool so I'm going to have to do some research. One of my concerns with small speakers is a lack of bass that can be felt. A cursory visit to the site shows several different software packages. Are you using whatever the base one is or have you upgraded/ TIA....
slowhand84
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:20 pm
slowhand84 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:54 pm
I've heard of the Spark 40 but really knew nothing about it. That's pretty damn cool so I'm going to have to do some research. One of my concerns with small speakers is a lack of bass that can be felt. A cursory visit to the site shows several different software packages. Are you using whatever the base one is or have you upgraded/ TIA....
No worries my friend! The Spark is a REALLY amazing tool, it's basically the next generation of stuff like the Line 6 Pod from back in the day but way more feature-laden and better sounding. They have a huge database (like Line 6 did) of user-created tones that you can download, an app that syncs with the amp and offers access to a lot of cool stuff, etc. You can play a riff and it'll create bass and drum tracks around it to make a backing track you can jam over, and much more.

The "software packages" you're looking at relate to Positive Grid's other product, Bias. The Spark 40 is just the Spark 40, there is nothing else to buy and no add-ons to worry about. This is a great video that goes through a lot of the Spark's capabilities, recommend watching it:

tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

That neck is gorgeous. My buddy has a Spark.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
tobijohn
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:45 pm
No worries my friend! The Spark is a REALLY amazing tool, it's basically the next generation of stuff like the Line 6 Pod from back in the day but way more feature-laden and better sounding. They have a huge database (like Line 6 did) of user-created tones that you can download, an app that syncs with the amp and offers access to a lot of cool stuff, etc. You can play a riff and it'll create bass and drum tracks around it to make a backing track you can jam over, and much more.

This is a great video that goes through a lot of the Spark's capabilities, recommend watching it:

I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for a well-priced used one. They do not have a line out but apparently an external cab or speaker can be used through the headphone jack. I primarily use an Atomic Amplifier 3 hooked up to an Alto TX210 FRFR powered speaker (300w) but XLR to 1/8" adapter cables are under $15 and I have a Samsung tablet I've been trying to find a use for. The Amplifier 3 served me well and it as a lot of positives but it's time to move on to more recent technology. The Amplifier 3s are going for around $200 used so it would almost be an even swap, cost-wise...
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

That is sweet! if it plays and sounds half as good as it looks, you have a great axe! HNGD!
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
slowhand84
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:27 am
slowhand84 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:45 pm

This is a great video that goes through a lot of the Spark's capabilities, recommend watching it:

I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for a well-priced used one. They do not have a line out but apparently an external cab or speaker can be used through the headphone jack. I primarily use an Atomic Amplifier 3 hooked up to an Alto TX210 FRFR powered speaker (300w) but XLR to 1/8" adapter cables are under $15 and I have a Samsung tablet I've been trying to find a use for. The Amplifier 3 served me well and it as a lot of positives but it's time to move on to more recent technology. The Amplifier 3s are going for around $200 used so it would almost be an even swap, cost-wise...
Yep, though you're probably not going to save much buying used because most of the time I see used ones they're like $30 below new price so you might as well just grab a new one. They go on sale for various holidays too so you can get them for like $199. You can also get a particular cable to use the headphone jack as a line out, but it needs to be a specific one to not damage anything. For some reason the link isn't posting but just search on Amazon for "6 Ft Castline Gold 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TS Mogami 2549 Stereo to Mono Summing Cable with Resistors".

Positive Grid also recently came out with a cab specifically intended for the Spark 40:

https://www.positivegrid.com/products/s ... cBEALw_wcB
slowhand84
Reactions:

One more pic from the side here, wild figure anywhere ya look and the fretboard is as nice as the neck. Still no clue why some of my photos rotate in the thumbnail, but if you click it it'll show up properly :lol:
Attachments
IMG_9035.jpg
tobijohn
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:39 am
Yep, though you're probably not going to save much buying used because most of the time I see used ones they're like $30 below new price so you might as well just grab a new one. They go on sale for various holidays too so you can get them for like $199. You can also get a particular cable to use the headphone jack as a line out, but it needs to be a specific one to not damage anything. For some reason the link isn't posting but just search on Amazon for "6 Ft Castline Gold 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TS Mogami 2549 Stereo to Mono Summing Cable with Resistors".

Positive Grid also recently came out with a cab specifically intended for the Spark 40:

https://www.positivegrid.com/products/s ... cBEALw_wcB
Thanks for the info, I'm definitely going to look into things and yes, for a $30 difference, new is the way I'd go.

FYI: The way to get Amazon links to show correctly is to delete the "https://" in the link. I don't know why but that works.

www.amazon.com/Castline-Mogami-Stereo-S ... 405&sr=8-1

That particular cable wouldn't work for me as the Alto has two XLR (stereo) inputs like the Spark cab, but I'll definitely keep the possibility of damage in mind when the time comes to buy a cable. FWIW, something like this is what I would need:

www.amazon.com/COLICOLY-Female-Y-Splitt ... =8-12&th=1
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:18 pm
Rollin Hand wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:10 pm I wish a used one of these would pop up cheap nearby me. No such luck thus far. HNGD once again!
Yeah GC Used is really the spot, I got all 7 of my HBs there. I think if I recall you're not in the US though?
Nope. GC doesn't send to Canada. I could get a mailbox in Watertown but... ehh.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
slowhand84
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:03 pm
slowhand84 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:18 pm
Nope. GC doesn't send to Canada. I could get a mailbox in Watertown but... ehh.
I hear you. I don't know where I'd shop if it wasn't for GC Used, the kinds of steals that exist there just don't exist anywhere else...or at least not with anywhere near this level of frequency.

Two more pics of this beauty now that I've got it restrung, neck oiled, etc. Just stunning!
Attachments
IMG_9053 (1).jpg
IMG_9054.jpg
braindress
Reactions:

what would you compare the neck to? I really want one of the magenta ones
RockYoWorld
Reactions:

I love that neck and the clips sound great. You really know how to find good gems in GC Used!
If I had something witty to say, I'd put it here.
slowhand84
Reactions:

Sorry guys, been a crazy week so I didn't see these posts until now.
braindress wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:09 pm what would you compare the neck to? I really want one of the magenta ones
Their necks are basically a Modern C profile, they are not Ibanez Wizard thin but not super chunky either. I'd say unless you need a really thin neck or a really thick one you should feel very comfortable with these.
RockYoWorld wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:33 pm I love that neck and the clips sound great. You really know how to find good gems in GC Used!
Thanks man! GC is definitely the gift that keeps on giving.