KRAMER PACER CLASSIC

Post here your newest acquisitions and reviews of them.
toomanycats
Reactions:

I picked this Kramer up today at, of all places, Guitar Center. It's brand new, not used. For whatever reason it was on sale for $160 off, knocking it down from $379 all the way to $219. It's not blemished, damaged, or a second. In fact, it's in absolutely perfect condition.

When I asked the charming young saleslady why it was so steeply discounted she simply said that they've been recently pushing the Kramers hard like this, which sufficiently satisfied my curiosity.

This is my second Kramer, as I picked up a Focus model earlier this year. I was already impressed with bang for the buck of the Focus, but this Pacer Classic is a noticeable step up in quality from that.

The stock pickups are A5 and very usable. The Floyd is a Special and I simply cannot put it out of tune. Apparently the body is alder and it has some heft to it. The fretwork is excellent, being level with no sprouts. The neck itself is very speedy.

All I want to play on this thing is VH, fast legato runs, trilly type wheedlie wheedlie things interspersed with dive bombs and squeals. What the hell else do you buy a guitar like this for? :lol:

I'm on the notification list for when Sweetwater gets the red Kramer Barretta Special restocked, though I'm thinking that this Pacer has satisfied my red Kramer urge. :D

IMG_1407.jpeg

IMG_1404.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg
IMG_1406.jpeg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

HNGD!
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
RiverDog
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:45 pm I picked this Kramer up today at, of all places, Guitar Center. It's brand new, not used. For whatever reason it was on sale for $160 off, knocking it down from $379 all the way to $219. It's not blemished, damaged, or a second. In fact, it's in absolutely perfect condition.

When I asked the charming young saleslady why it was so steeply discounted she simply said that they've been recently pushing the Kramers hard like this, which sufficiently satisfied my curiosity.

This is my second Kramer, as I picked up a Focus model earlier this year. I was already impressed with bang for the buck of the Focus, but this Pacer Classic is a noticeable step up in quality from that.

The stock pickups are A5 and very usable. The Floyd is a Special and I simply cannot put it out of tune. Apparently the body is alder and it has some heft to it. The fretwork is excellent, being level with no sprouts. The neck itself is very speedy.

All I want to play on this thing is VH, fast legato runs, trilly type wheedlie wheedlie things interspersed with dive bombs and squeals. What the hell else do you buy a guitar like this for? :lol:

I'm on the notification list for when Sweetwater gets the red Kramer Barretta Special restocked, though I'm thinking that this Pacer has satisfied my red Kramer urge. :D

IMG_1407.jpeg

IMG_1404.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1406.jpeg
That's hot! Kramer is making some fine instruments these days. Congrats and HNGD!
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
"Perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break."
toomanycats
Reactions:

RiverDog wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:56 pm
toomanycats wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:45 pm I picked this Kramer up today at, of all places, Guitar Center. It's brand new, not used. For whatever reason it was on sale for $160 off, knocking it down from $379 all the way to $219. It's not blemished, damaged, or a second. In fact, it's in absolutely perfect condition.

IMG_1407.jpeg

IMG_1404.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1406.jpeg
That's hot! Kramer is making some fine instruments these days. Congrats and HNGD!
Yes, I'm so glad that the Kramer brand is back in the game and I don't have to rely only finding an expensive vintage Neptune NJ instrument to get my fix (apologies to @PsychoCid ).

But I've gotta be honest, when it comes to this Kramer Pacer, it is mostly about the past for me, about possessing a fetish object that emotionally connects me to the year 1982, and mostly about this man who has now ascended to demigod status . . .

2bf46e7104d524819fad4334995550f8.jpg
1980-Eddie-purple-pacer-web.jpg
big_Kramerad.JPG
dqagsaitx6q2wswqzwia.jpg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Congrats on the new Kramer and it seems like yo got quite the deal!
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
toomanycats
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:26 am Congrats on the new Kramer and it seems like yo got quite the deal!
Thanks. Again, I'm still a little puzzled why it was priced at $219. There was an identical model Kramer Pacer hanging right next to this red one, only in blue. It was also new and deeply discounted, but only to something like $240. I thought that was odd as well, as red seems to be a more desirable color for a Kramer due to the EVH connection.

Sometimes you've just got to forget about these puzzling questions and pull the trigger when a good deal is staring you right in the face.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:44 am
But I've gotta be honest, when it comes to this Kramer Pacer, it is mostly about the past for me, about possessing a fetish object that emotionally connects me to the year 1982, and mostly about this man who has now ascended to demigod status . . .

2bf46e7104d524819fad4334995550f8.jpg

1980-Eddie-purple-pacer-web.jpg

big_Kramerad.JPG

dqagsaitx6q2wswqzwia.jpg
Yep, pretty much. Although for me, if it doesn't have a hockey stick headstock, I am not in.

Long & Mcquade are selling Baretta Specials for $259 CAD (reg. $329) this month, so I will likely take the plunge, using up a $100 gift card to make it even cheaper. The one I played didn't stay in tune at all, but by reputation they usually do. And I have a Floyd 1000 sitting in it's box.....
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
jtcnj
Reactions:

HNGD!
Playable, decent sounding pickups and a budget Floyd that stays in tune?
WIN!!
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
toomanycats
Reactions:

jtcnj wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:50 am HNGD!
WIN!!
I'm usually skeptical right up front with humbuckers that that don't have adjustable poles, such as these, but these pickups are not bad at all. The bridge is something like 8.9 K resistance and the neck is a little less at around 8.5 K, so definitely PAFish territory. @mozz recently sent me some rough cast A2 magnets (thanks again man!) and I'm thinking that at least the bridge might sound spongier with one of them swapped in. The neck pickup sounds so good as is with the A5 that I really don't want to change anything.

Yes, the Floyd Special stays in tuner perfectly.

I know that there are people online who had criticized both the pickups and trem on the Pacer Classic. I just think that a lot of people prefer a much hotter pickup, like a SD JB, or something with the oomph of a ceramic magnet, and therefore describe the stock Pacer pups as weak.
tobijohn
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:02 am
...@mozz recently sent me some rough cast A2 magnet (thanks again man!) and I'm thinking that at least the bridge might sound spongier with one of them swapped in. The neck pickup sounds so good as is with the A5 that I really don't want to change anything.
FWIW, the magnet combo in the Gibson 498T/490R set which is stock in most Studios, is the exact opposite, A2 in the neck, A5 in the bridge...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
toomanycats
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:26 am
...@mozz recently sent me some rough cast A2 magnet (thanks again man!) and I'm thinking that at least the bridge might sound spongier with one of them swapped in. The neck pickup sounds so good as is with the A5 that I really don't want to change anything.
FWIW, the magnet combo in the Gibson 498R/490T set which is stock in most Studios, is the exact opposite, A2 in the neck, A5 in the bridge...
True, my favorite neck humbucker is the Gibson Burstbucker 1, which is A2. It is very articulate, clear, and vocal. I believe that the low, sub 8k resistance, along with the unbalanced, non wax potted coils contributes to these qualities.

However, when I’ve tried to put A2 magnets in a PAF neck humbucker that doesn’t share those other qualities I often find that it comes out sounding both weaker and less clear than the same pup with A5.

I suppose it can’t hurt to try.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

WIN!!
I'm usually skeptical right up front with humbuckers that that don't have adjustable poles, such as these, but these pickups are not bad at all. The bridge is something like 8.9 K resistance and the neck is a little less at around 8.5 K, so definitely PAFish territory. @mozz recently sent me some rough cast A2 magnet (thanks again man!) and I'm thinking that at least the bridge might sound spongier with one of them swapped in. The neck pickup sounds so good as is with the A5 that I really don't want to change anything.

I know that there are people online who had criticized both the pickups and trem on the Pacer Classic. I just think that a lot of people prefer a much hotter pickup, like a SD JB, or something with the oomph of a ceramic magnet, and therefore describe the stock Pacer pups as weak.
Is the bridge flush-mounted? The Floyd Specials do juuuuust fine flush-mounted on the EVH Wolfgang Standards.

And if it doesn't, there always seems to be someone selling a 1000 series.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
tobijohn
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:39 am
True, my favorite neck humbucker is the Gibson Burstbucker 1, which is A2. It is very articulate, clear, and vocal. I believe that the low, sub 8k resistance, along with the unbalanced, non wax potted coils contributes to these qualities.

However, when I’ve tried to put A2 magnets in a PAF neck humbucker that doesn’t share those other qualities I often find that it comes out sounding both weaker and less clear than the same pup with A5.

I suppose it can’t hurt to try.
Intuitively, I would be inclined to think A5 neck/A2 bridge would be the way to go, but I guess for the last forty years (Studio was introduced in 1983) Gibson has thought otherwise...:)
toomanycats
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:43 am
WIN!!
I'm usually skeptical right up front with humbuckers that that don't have adjustable poles, such as these, but these pickups are not bad at all. The bridge is something like 8.9 K resistance and the neck is a little less at around 8.5 K, so definitely PAFish territory. @mozz recently sent me some rough cast A2 magnet (thanks again man!) and I'm thinking that at least the bridge might sound spongier with one of them swapped in. The neck pickup sounds so good as is with the A5 that I really don't want to change anything.

Is the bridge flush-mounted? The Floyd Specials do juuuuust fine flush-mounted on the EVH Wolfgang Standards.

The trem isn't resting on the body and I can actually pull up a whole step. That being said, it still doesn't feel as "floaty" as a Floyd with a big bunch of wood dished out of the body. But I'm telling ya, this thing just stays in tune.

If I have any complaints at all about the bridge, it's that I'd like the G and D string saddles to be just slightly higher. It's a very common old school trick to shim underneath the saddles of a Floyd. I've done it before using either pieces of aluminum from a can or bits of a razor blade.

IMG_1411.jpeg
mozz
Reactions:

"FWIW, the magnet combo in the Gibson 498R/490T set which is stock in most Studios, is the exact opposite, A2 in the neck, A5 in the bridge..."

I think that's a typo there, usually 490r neck and 498t bridge. A2 neck, A5 bridge. I have a few studios and i hate the difference when you toggle pickups, way too much. I always swap the magnets as per lespaul forum/my lespaul forums. I think it tames the bridge while brightens up the neck.
AGF refugee
tobijohn
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:52 pm "FWIW, the magnet combo in the Gibson 498R/490T set which is stock in most Studios, is the exact opposite, A2 in the neck, A5 in the bridge..."

I think that's a typo there, usually 490r neck and 498t bridge. A2 neck, A5 bridge. I have a few studios and i hate the difference when you toggle pickups, way too much. I always swap the magnets as per lespaul forum/my lespaul forums. I think it tames the bridge while brightens up the neck.
It was, indeed. I meant what you said, and corrected my original post....
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:18 pm
Rollin Hand wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:43 am

The trem isn't resting on the body and I can actually pull up a whole step. That being said, it still doesn't feel as "floaty" as a Floyd with a big punch of wood dished out of the body. But I'm telling ya, this thing just stays in tune.

If I have any complaints at all about the bridge, it's that I'd like the G and D string saddles to be just slightly higher. It's a very common old school trick to shim underneath the saddles of a Floyd. I've done it before using either pieces of aluminum from a can or bits of a razor blade.

IMG_1411.jpeg

It's probably the right radius for the fretboard, unless Gibsepiphkramer are really screwing the pooch. But, comfort is comfort

Otherwise, if the Special works, no need to fix it.
- Ron Swanson
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

HNGD!

My friend recently bought a Striker, to which I made him a set of rail pickups for the two single-coil spots. The stock humbucker was actually a very good clone of a Duncan JB. Not my cup of tea, but a classic shredder guitar and a better neck profile than most.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Looking at TMC's pics, I sort of see the unfluence of the Pacer on Joe Satriani's Ibanez models. Definitely the layout is similar, even if the materials and hardware are different.

FWIW....New Kramer Day incoming. :twisted:
- Ron Swanson
toomanycats
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:43 am Image

Looking at TMC's pics, I sort of see the unfluence of the Pacer on Joe Satriani's Ibanez models. Definitely the layout is similar, even if the materials and hardware are different.

Now that you mention it, I had noticed the Kramer Pacer and Satch signature Ibby similarity too.

Also, has anybody else noticed that Joe is the guy with the least amount of hair on his head, that had the most amount of hair on his arms? Not sure what that means, but damn, the guy can sure play guitar real good. :lol:
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:07 pm

Now that you mention it, I had noticed the Kramer Pacer and Satch signature Ibby similarity too.

Also, has anybody else noticed that Joe is the guy with the least amount of hair on his head, that had the most amount of hair on his arms? Not sure what that means, but damn, the guy can sure play guitar real good. :lol:
When your STUDENTS include Steve Vai, Kirk Hammett and Alex Skolnick, you must be doing something right.
- Ron Swanson
toomanycats
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:07 pm

When your STUDENTS include Steve Vai, Kirk Hammett and Alex Skolnick, you must be doing something right.
You know what you'd get if you put all those guys together . . . Joe, Steve, Kirk, and Alex?
This bad-azz guitar shredder named @Narsh . :D
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:08 am
Rollin Hand wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:07 pm

You know what you'd get if you put all those guys together . . . Joe, Steve, Kirk, and Alex?
This bad-azz guitar shredder named @Narsh . :D
I think Narsh has the talent, but is lacking in the arm hair department.
- Ron Swanson
backinit
Reactions:

I saw one of these in blue a few weeks ago on clearance for $199. I thought the frets were very skinny on it. It would definitely be a fun mod platform.
toomanycats
Reactions:

backinit wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:55 am I saw one of these in blue a few weeks ago on clearance for $199. I thought the frets were very skinny on it. It would definitely be a fun mod platform.
Yes, the frets are what one might call "vintage" sized. It's not that I hate frets like that, and I'm fine with them on a Les Paul or traditional type Strat. However, on a Superstrat small frets do seem out of place. This Pacer Classic is made in China, as is my Kramer Focus, and both have the same small frets. Now my two Kramer Baretta Specials are made in Indonesia and have what I'd call medium jumbo frets. Amazing necks on those Indonesian Kramers.