NGD: Squier Classic Vibe 60's Jazzmaster

Post here your newest acquisitions and reviews of them.
voodoorat
Reactions:

Have been on a buying & selling kick recently and have gotten (and sold) a few new things. Great time to be a buyer, horrible time to be a seller.

I picked this up a few weeks ago. Have never been super drawn to offsets. I've always been drawn to the stratocaster, telecaster, and les paul body shapes more than anything else strictly in terms of aesthetics. But I was also always kind of curious about offsets' appeal even though I'd never owned one and rarely even played one. Same with SG's--although I have owned one, it was a long time ago and while I didn't bond with that one at all (it was an Epiphone '66 SG-400) and was glad to be rid of it when I sold it, I wonder if it was more that particular one and where I was in my guitar playing journey than like a general dislike of SG's.

But I digress.

This one popped up on the local market right when I was getting curious about Jazzmasters specifically for a fair (not great--I could definitely have done better in this market if I'd had more patience) price so I pulled the trigger.

It was a little bit of a challenge for me to get it set up as I wasn't familiar at all with the bridge (I think this is actually a jaguar-style bridge) or the tailpiece/tremolo system for a JM. And one thing that definitely threw me was that the string grounding is apparently connected under the bridge, and originally the bridge was so low that when I used the trem it would make it break contact and cause crackling/buzzing. I would have never guessed that was the problem, since I assumed the grounding was connected to the tailpiece/trem. I guess it makes sense since the trem actually barely touches the strings, but it looks huge. Anyway I did get it dialed in. There's a strange slight sort of light buzzing, almost like acoustic distortion, on some of the strings (mostly the G) when I play in certain positions but I think that's just some sympathetic vibration of all that string between the bridge and the tailpiece--it's not something you can hear plugged in. Once I got it set up though I really like how it feels/plays. The trem looks insane but works well, and I was super confused at first by the fact that the bridge sort of floats, which I was a little flummoxed by when I was intonating it (especially since Fender had already made strats by the time this thing came out originally and that to me seems like obviously the better bridge design).

So it feels good--I usually play seated and it feels good in the lap. I also think it sounds good, even with the stock pickups. I was surprised by how bright it can get when you use the bridge pickup. Even the neck isn't really dark--it's darker on the "rhythm" circuit with the top switch up, but it's still very usable for me and I'm someone who likes mids and highs in my guitar tone (too little and it sounds like there's a blanket over the amp). I like the trem a lot more than I expected to, I use it more like I use a Bigsby, just a general warbler when I want a little warble. I actually am not that interested in the Player series because it looks like it just has humbuckers and not the JM pickups? The sort of unique pickups were a big part of the appeal of the guitar to me.

TLDR: Got a CV JM, it's weird but I like it.
image.png
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Congrats on the new guitar. That body style is so comfortable and ergonomic.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Nice looking Jazzmaster! I had the same intermittent grounding issue with a Classic Vibe Jazzmaster. I concluded the bridge ground was the issue by design. That bridge is supposed to rock back and forth on pointed screws so it can move with trem use, This means there is a tiny contact area, and maybe it can even fail to maintain sufficient contact when it moves. I rewired mine so the trem is grounded too. I didn't remove the bridge ground, but ran a new ground to the trem (and had to drill a hole for that). It 100% solved my grounding issue.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

HNGD! Elvis Costello would approve!
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
jtcnj
Reactions:

HNGD!
I dig offsets but have only had a few.
I had a Squier VM JAG that was a really nice guitar, but I just didn't bond with it.
I have a Firefly JM style that with some work and upgrades is now really good playing and sounding guitar.
Basic, 2 JM pickups, Wilk strat style trem, and 3-way switch.
Not GASsing for others.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.