NGD AL 3200MCC

Post here your newest acquisitions and reviews of them.
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

My new AL 3200 came today and I'm impressed with the amount of guitar you get for the money. I'm not a guitar reviewer by any means nor am I attempting to but rather I'm just going to give some first impressions of this guitar. With the exception of the 3rd string needing a bit of tuning it came out of the box in tune and ready to play. When you first put it in your hands you can feel the quality mine was not as heavy as some have reported theirs were this one is 9 pounds even. It is thinner than my AL 3010 and the contour on the back make it very comfortable. The pups sound really good to my ears with the neck sounding best but there's nothing wrong with the bridge and with the coli tapping on both tone pots you have a lot of options with tone. The machines are typical smooth and accurate Grover's the neck thru makes accessing the upper frets a snap I really like that. There is decent access to the adjustment screws for the saddles, the neck feels good and the frets seem nice and level. The finish is very nice I have not spotted any imperfections but there may be something that I've just not spied it yet. The fade from purple to blue blends well and the burl pattern of the top is really cool

This guitar is perfectly playable like it is but there are a few things I will want to do to it. The neck is a bit rough I'm going to try an aggressive cleaning if if that doesn't do it I'll lightly sand the back of the neck. Also I need to adjust the relief in the neck. I'm going to remove the nut and sand it a bit and also lower the bridge some and of course new strings and if needed set the intonation.

HERE IT IS
Z1uBp9e[1].jpg
uFUBpDL[1].jpg
Ft0POZO[1].jpg
YcuWCNz[1].jpg
Attachments
RtcrwBc[1].jpg
peskypesky
Reactions:

awesome!!
Banned by Momo
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

Very cool, NNGD! I didn't realize any of these had a satin finish, I like that. The neck volute is not something I remember seeing on 3200's before either,do all of them have that now?
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
Gergo
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:10 pm Very cool, NNGD! I didn't realize any of these had a satin finish, I like that. The neck volute is not something I remember seeing on 3200's before either,do all of them have that now?
Yeah, actually they have had the volutes for a while. I Know that they were doing them as early as 2015 because I got one with a volute back then
My playing is always better after some good beer
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

Like all NG days I've spent this one with my new guitar and backing tracks I've got a Latin music one going right now and typing this with this guitar hung around my neck and I'm guessing I'm not the only one that's done that before. Here's a question I will need to buy a case for it and was wondering about the quality of the Douglas Premium cases offered on Rondo.
I have a legitimate source to buy Gator ATA Molded Cases for $125 I have one for my Gibson Les Paul and the Agile fits it like a glove in it but if the Douglas is a really good case for $30 less I'm in.
oH3MTKO[1].jpg

AQKzOJb[1].jpg
240yhtg[1].jpg
golem
Reactions:

Nice! Mine's like 12 lbs. I'd pay decent $$ for one that's 8.5Lbs or so.
Gergo
Reactions:

redman wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:26 pm Like all NG days I've spent this one with my new guitar and backing tracks I've got a Latin music one going right now and typing this with this guitar hung around my neck and I'm guessing I'm not the only one that's done that before. Here's a question I will need to buy a case for it and was wondering about the quality of the Douglas Premium cases offered on Rondo.
I have a legitimate source to buy Gator ATA Molded Cases for $125 I have one for my Gibson Les Paul and the Agile fits it like a glove in it but if the Douglas is a really good case for $30 less I'm in.

oH3MTKO[1].jpg

AQKzOJb[1].jpg240yhtg[1].jpg

I would say that the Gator case is definitely a better case. If you are going to mainly keep your guitar at home or take it out occasionally, the Douglas case would be fine. If you gig, or travel with your guitar, then spend the extra $30 and get the Gator case.
My playing is always better after some good beer
tobijohn
Reactions:

That finish was one of the most popular ones on the Agile ERGs but when Kurt mentioned that it would also be used on the first run of AD-3200MCCs I really thought he was going to have a problem moving them. However, that was the first of the four finishes to sell out.

Also, I'm beginning to wonder if the specs for the stock G&Bs that the new style AL-3100MCC/3200MCCs and AD-3200MCCs have changed since these models were first introduced in 2015. The common complaint was that they were basically meh but the reviews of the most recent batches have by and large been favorable....
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
redman
Reactions:

Gergo wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:00 pm
I would say that the Gator case is definitely a better case. If you are going to mainly keep your guitar at home or take it out occasionally, the Douglas case would be fine. If you gig, or travel with your guitar, then spend the extra $30 and get the Gator case.
[/quote]

The Gator is a really good case but my gigging days are over I had many years running up and down the road playing shows but these days just the occasional jam or recording session with my bros. I just want a decent case and curious about the quality of the Douglas cases truth is I really don't need a case for it if I do take it somewhere I can just grab one of the two I have it will fit in and put either my Gibson LP or PRS SE Singlecut on a stand.

As far as the Voute, for me it's just another of the little points of quality and attention to detail with this guitar IMO any angled headstock guitar needs it for extra support at the scarf joint and this one is not some big ugly diamond or other shaped one that distracts from the guitar when looking at the back of the neck.
redman
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:24 pm That finish was one of the most popular ones on the Agile ERGs but when Kurt mentioned that it would also be used on the first run of AD-3200MCCs I really thought he was going to have a problem moving them. However, that was the first of the four finishes to sell out.

Also, I'm beginning to wonder if the specs for the stock G&Bs that the new style AL-3100MCC/3200MCCs and AD-3200MCCs have changed since these models were first introduced in 2015. The common complaint was that they were basically meh but the reviews of the most recent batches have by and large been favorable....

I can see how some folks wouldn't be particularly fond of the color but I like it I've saw enough Sunburst, solid paint and so on I like having something different. As far as the pups I like them and don't have any plans to change them. They have that ALINCO 5 aggressive bite with out screaming out the mids and highs they also respond really well to right hand technique or in your case Tobijohn left hand and what I mean is example you choke up on that pick and just leave a very small piece of the pick exposed to get that grungy squeaky sound and these pickups and the resonance and sustain of the guitar make that sound both incredibly cool and nasty and you can accomplish this and other right hand sound tricks effortlessly because of the response of these pups.
Most the modern Gibson's use ALINCO 3s and even some with ceramic magnets which there's nothing wrong with just a different tone. I will say to my ear the pups Gibson uses like in their Studio model and other models until you get to the guitars models that use Burstbucker or such the Agile's pups are competitive and the difference for me is I prefer the aggressiveness of the ALINCO 5's over the laid back tones of the 3's.
So that's my take on the pups in this guitar but it's all subjective anyway as well as I don't know what I'm talking about so I just have to try to explain what I hear from them.
dabbler
Reactions:

redman wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:39 pm
As far as the Voute, for me it's just another of the little points of quality and attention to detail with this guitar IMO any angled headstock guitar needs it for extra support at the scarf joint and this one is not some big ugly diamond or other shaped one that distracts from the guitar when looking at the back of the neck.
Except neckthrus, like the 3200s, don't have a scarf joint. So no need for a volute. It doesn't bother me that it's there, but it's not necessary on a 3200.
slowhand84
Reactions:

Gergo wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:16 pm
uwmcscott wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:10 pm Very cool, NNGD! I didn't realize any of these had a satin finish, I like that. The neck volute is not something I remember seeing on 3200's before either,do all of them have that now?
Yeah, actually they have had the volutes for a while. I Know that they were doing them as early as 2015 because I got one with a volute back then
Interesting, I have a AL-3200 Custom that's one of the older ones (aka pre-swoop), and no volute...
tobijohn
Reactions:

I think the volutes first appeared on the new style AL-3200s, AD-3200MCCs and the AL-3100MCCs. They are not on the new style AL-3100M or AL-3100MC models..
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
redman
Reactions:

dabbler wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:47 pm
Except neckthrus, like the 3200s, don't have a scarf joint. So no need for a volute. It doesn't bother me that it's there, but it's not necessary on a 3200.

HAHA I'm thinking hard about this new guitar first neck thru I've ever had and didn't even think about the neck thru I'm a total DUMBASS oh well if that's the worse I do today at my age and mental capacity not to bad. Thanks for calling me out and everyone is welcome for a big laugh. I can't believe I didn't even think at all about the neck thru.

Here's my sign
Attachments
e6cml0W[1].png
jtcnj
Reactions:

Congrats!
That is one of the only guitars of the many I get the GAS for, that I seriously consider buying.

Would have to play one first; I hear the neck profile is pretty thin.
The colors available right now are not for me, but thats a different issue.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
redman
Reactions:

jtcnj wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:22 am Congrats!
That is one of the only guitars of the many I get the GAS for, that I seriously consider buying.

Would have to play one first; I hear the neck profile is pretty thin.
The colors available right now are not for me, but thats a different issue.
If your anywhere near the Western NC/Tennessee state line stop by and you can play this one and we can jam. :D
I have to sell some things now to pay my credit card down but I'm so happy with this purchase. I have been playing some new Gibson Studios at a local music store and they are good guitars but IMO not in the same league as this 3200. Sometime just compare the specs and the difference between them is amazing. I did have to set it up to the way I like and a couple of small things like two of the screws in the bridge pickup mounting ring were very rough had to be sanded because when you hit them with the heel of your hand they were sharp and the back of the neck was a tad rough and needed a light sanding but that's just my OCD with a new guitar. I'm 100% happy with this guitar and IMO it would take a lot of $$$ to buy an USA made guitar that is built as well. I don't care what name and logo are on my headstock because I play my guitars and it's the quality that does it for me and this one has that in spades.
dabbler
Reactions:

redman wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:46 pm

HAHA I'm thinking hard about this new guitar first neck thru I've ever had and didn't even think about the neck thru I'm a total DUMBASS oh well if that's the worse I do today at my age and mental capacity not to bad. Thanks for calling me out and everyone is welcome for a big laugh. I can't believe I didn't even think at all about the neck thru.

Here's my sign
Don't be hard on yourself. it's easy to not realize something. Especially when Agile does strange things like this:
IMGP0821.JPG
Kinda hard to see, but THAT, my friends, is a neckthru with a standard shaped heel! I kid you not!

It's mine, and while it wasn't a big seller, for folks like me who rarely if ever go above the 12th fret, it's really nice! Oh yeah, it has a volute too! They called it an AL3000 Neck Thru. I think Kurt did a small run of 2 or 4, and after they took so long to sell, never did it again. But I'm sure glad I got mine!
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

dabbler wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:42 pm It's mine, and while it wasn't a big seller, for folks like me who rarely if ever go above the 12th fret, it's really nice! Oh yeah, it has a volute too! They called it an AL3000 Neck Thru. I think Kurt did a small run of 2 or 4, and after they took so long to sell, never did it again. But I'm sure glad I got mine!

I remember those..that was the one with the matching headstock overlay too, right?
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
dabbler
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:22 pm
dabbler wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:42 pm It's mine, and while it wasn't a big seller, for folks like me who rarely if ever go above the 12th fret, it's really nice! Oh yeah, it has a volute too! They called it an AL3000 Neck Thru. I think Kurt did a small run of 2 or 4, and after they took so long to sell, never did it again. But I'm sure glad I got mine!

I remember those..that was the one with the matching headstock overlay too, right?
Yup!
IMGP0815.jpg
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

dabbler wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:42 pm
redman wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:46 pm

Here's my sign
Don't be hard on yourself. it's easy to not realize something. Especially when Agile does strange things like this:

IMGP0821.JPG

Kinda hard to see, but THAT, my friends, is a neckthru with a standard shaped heel! I kid you not!

It's mine, and while it wasn't a big seller, for folks like me who rarely if ever go above the 12th fret, it's really nice! Oh yeah, it has a volute too! They called it an AL3000 Neck Thru. I think Kurt did a small run of 2 or 4, and after they took so long to sell, never did it again. But I'm sure glad I got mine!
A scarf joint means the volute isnt necessary. The volute is designed to strengthen a neck that, like the classic Gibson neck, is carved out of a single piece of wood, and is susceptible to headstock breaks. The scarf joint reduces this need by adding a glued joint, which is stronger than the original wood (theoretically, if not in practice). If it goes at the scarf joint, you could have a busted off headstock with a volute still on it, as the volute would sit further back than a scarf joint.

Multilaminate necks are stronger just be being multilaminates -- the glue and reinforcing wood pieces and contrasting grain limit the need for a volute, though not elimiminating it.

The Ibby Proline neck in my Roadstar has a join in the headstock, so the tilt-back headstock is achieved by gluing another piece of wood on after the low E string tuner. Not how I would do it, but it works.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
Partscaster
Reactions:

dabbler wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:34 pm

Yup!

IMGP0815.jpg

I remember liking those a lot. Didnt the price get pretty low on the last ones? I remember being very tempted, followed by regret, and forgetfulness.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
dabbler
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:13 pm
dabbler wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:34 pm

Yup!

IMGP0815.jpg

I remember liking those a lot. Didnt the price get pretty low on the last ones? I remember being very tempted, followed by regret, and forgetfulness.
I don't know, mine cost me $449.
redman
Reactions:

I've had this guitar 4 days now and done all the small things to it I wanted to so it plays exactly how I want it to. It's the only guitar I've played since I've had it and that's saying a lot. Since this covid-19 has grounded us I play several hours most days and keep 4 or 5 guitars in the livingroom where I play. I usually play all of them and sometimes even grab a different one out of the bedroom before the session is over just to get a different sound. This AL 3200 has kept my full attention because it plays and sounds so good.
I've had several higher end guitars over the years USA made Gibson, Fender, PRS, Rickenbacker as well as tons of others made elsewhere and this Agile is one of the very best in quality, sound and playability I've ever owned. I have a 84 Gibson LP Studio that's just always had something special about it and this Agile out performs it. I know these days most folks think of me as just a dumb old guy that don't have a clue and for the most part they are right, I have however been privileged to play in working bands for over 30 years.
The only reason I said all of that is to say that in my current condition of a broke down, wheelchair bound old man that people who don't know me think I couldn't possibly know what makes a great guitar. However I do know a quality guitar and IMO the AL 3200MCC is about as good as it gets and for $550 wow. So for those of you that don't think as highly as I do about them that's fine it's just my opinion of what you get for your money when you buy one of these new AL 3200MCC and I am both a satisfied customer and proud owner.
RockYoWorld
Reactions:

redman wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:58 pm The only reason I said all of that is to say that in my current condition of a broke down, wheelchair bound old man that people who don't know me think I couldn't possibly know what makes a great guitar.
Hey now, just because you're in a wheel chair doesn't mean you can't rock the faces off people still! The guys in Parkway Drive have had leg injuries that made a couple of them have to play in a wheel chair on tour. Just don't tip over like one of them did...

If I had something witty to say, I'd put it here.
TVvoodoo
Reactions:

Happy New Blurple LP!
Endless source of eye-rolling dad jokes, aspiring empty-nester, custom strap-maker https://reverb.com/ca/shop/well-hung-guitar-accessories