HEY JOE!

Upload your Recordings here...KICK 'EM OUT KAMPERS! :)
toomanycats
Reactions:

“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Tasty! Nice artwork, too. It took me a second to see it.

What gear did you use and what was the recording process like?
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
toomanycats
Reactions:

tlarson58 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:41 pm Tasty! Nice artwork, too. It took me a second to see it.

What gear did you use and what was the recording process like?
The guitar was a 2001 American Series Strat with Van Zandt pickups. I used the my 65 Amps London on the Marshall input, mic'd with a Shure 57. No pedals, the guitar is going straight into the amp with some mild eq, compression, and a little bit of reverb applied in Logic.

The bass was my Harley Benton JB-75 Jazz, going into A Golden Age Pre73, then an Apogee Duet, then into Logic using the 60s pick style bass amp setting.

The drums are all programmed in Logic. I tried to get as close as I could to Mitch Mitchell's fills, but those suckers are difficult to program.

The singer is in my main band and we've just started a songwriting partnership on the side. It was the first time we got together to record and I suggested we tackle a simple cover we both knew, just to break the ice, have fun, and warm up into it. I often do that when first working with a singer. That "kid" (he's 24 years old, which is a kid to me) nailed it on the first take. I had him do one pass of the first verse just to set the levels, then we started over and her sang that entire song all the way through, exactly as you hear it. I tracked his vocal through a Audio-Technic AT2020.

We also tracked an original song which is going to be pretty amazing, though I'm not quite ready to release it. It still needs some tweaking in the arrangement.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
mozz
Reactions:

Wasn't hey joe a cover when Jimi did it?
AGF refugee
toomanycats
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 pm Wasn't hey joe a cover when Jimi did it?
Yes, this is true. There is some dispute over who actually wrote it, though a guy named Billy Roberts registered a copyright on it in 1962. However, like a lot of old blues songs, it was being performed as a public domain song long before this, and long before Hendrix made it famous.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Nice work! I always liked that song.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
mozz
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 pm
mozz wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 pm Wasn't hey joe a cover when Jimi did it?
Yes, this is true. There is some dispute over who actually wrote it, though a guy named Billy Roberts registered a copyright on it in 1962. However, like a lot of old blues songs, it was being performed as a public domain song long before this, and long before Hendrix made it famous.
For many years i thought that Jimi was the writer and original performer of that song. Forget where i read that it was a cover song. Also learned that "Cum on feel the noize" was done by a band called Slade. They never got any airplay here, only Bowie from that era.
AGF refugee
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Slade was a good band.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
artandsoul
Reactions:
Gearlist: sx callisto cus ds tobacco quilt, A2 probuckers.
sx hawk car p90 all stock.
agile al3200 purple black quilt, all stock.
jet city 50w 6l6 warren hanes mod
jet city 100w ltd el34 warren hanes mod
big knob pedals color jumbo, behringer super fuzz, joyo dig tuner, black arts toneworks lstr fuzz" green muff clone"
412 eminence swamp thang 600watts in egnater cabinet

Guitar sounds great! I get a srv vibe from your cover sound.
It seems to me almost all bigger rock bands most popular songs are a cover and most didnt know till years later.
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao
Partscaster
Reactions:

Nice singing, too.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
RedLesPaul
Reactions:

I loved it! The singer reminds me a bit of Oni Logan in some of his phrasing choices and the way he ends some of his lines. Your guitar playing as always was killer. Hope you're well.
jhull54
Reactions:

Love it. Raw and right to the point. Really enjoy straight ahead stuff like this.